• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tours of Aldwych Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Looks like I was correct to act fast. Only a few day tours left, and the evening tour page is giving an error; presumably they've sold out (someone on another forum said they had, but he managed to get one on the phone).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All gone, so if any of you were interested you're too late!
The trips are worthwhile although I am not sure I will be bothering returning with a price rise of 100% on last year.
Did last year's price include a ticket to the museum?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
I got my ticket yesterday. It doesn't say anything about access to the museum. I guess I just show the event ticket and they let me in? :-?

Bungle73

On Moderation
I missed out. By the time I got paid they'd all gone. :(

I heard they'd go fast. That's why I got onto my iPhone at lunch time on the day they came out to book my place, rather than waiting until I got home.

Roverman

I'm confused as to why they only do a handful of tours during the coldest weeks of the year, If it was my business and these tours were successful I'd be running them as often as possible!

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I got my ticket yesterday. It doesn't say anything about access to the museum. I guess I just show the event ticket and they let me in? :-?

Last time it explained in the accompanying letter that you got free access, and then we just had to show our tickets to get in. I'm a Friend, mind, so it didn't make that much difference for me.

Similarly for the A Stock tour we just had to show the ticket to get into Acton but, again, I'm a Friend!

I'm confused as to why they only do a handful of tours during the coldest weeks of the year, If it was my business and these tours were successful I'd be running them as often as possible!

I would imagine that it is to do with health and safety and risk assessments, and having the staff/volunteers available to run the venue. It's a station that is no longer publicly accessible: it's not easy to just run a tour like that.

Plus, would it be as big of a draw if it was open as often as possible? There's only a limited market, and once you've been once you won't find yourself going back in a hurry (like me) unless something more is offered...

Bungle73

On Moderation
Last time it explained in the accompanying letter that you got free access, and then we just had to show our tickets to get in. I'm a Friend, mind, so it didn't make that much difference for me.

Similarly for the A Stock tour we just had to show the ticket to get into Acton but, again, I'm a Friend!
All that came with it was a list of T&Cs which doesn't mention about it. It seems a bit poor to me; unless you remember what was written when you booked you're likely to forgot all about it!

bluegoblin7

Established Member
All that came with it was a list of T&Cs which doesn't mention about it. It seems a bit poor to me; unless you remember what was written when you booked you're likely to forgot all about it!

I'd agree with that! And surprises me from the LTM - they're usually pretty good with things like that.

I'd also be interested to see the list of T&Cs to see if they've changed from last time... like the (infamous) dSLR ban...

moogal

I went yesterday and really enjoyed it - was the first time I'd visited and there was more to see than I thought. The volunteers were all very friendly and knowledgeable.

At the end of the tour it was announced that our tickets were valid for the LTM for the week.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I went yesterday and really enjoyed it - was the first time I'd visited and there was more to see than I thought. The volunteers were all very friendly and knowledgeable.

At the end of the tour it was announced that our tickets were valid for the LTM for the week.

That's not what they told me when I emailed them. They told me the ticket was valid for the day of the tour only.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Just got home from the tour. It was great, really interesting; and the people were really friendly and eager to answer any questions. They showed us the ticket hall with the lifts and toilets, then took us down the stairs to the lower lift landing and through to the "new" platform, then over to the 1917 platform. As each location a little talk was given, then plenty of time to have a nosey around and take photos - I took several. Then back up the stairs and out....after we'd passed the little stall where they were trying to sell us stuff.

I went to the museum afterwards. I haven't been there since I was at school iirc. They used to have an exhibit of a small section of Tube tunnel with a set of points you could activate - it made a loud noise when it did - but it's not there any more.
Oh and they did mention about walking us along the tunnel to Holborn, but they they only do that if there is a fire in the building at ground level and we're underground, to get us out. I was kinda hoping it would go off while we were down there. :lol:
I tried a couple of the LU simulators, but I couldn't get either of them to do anything! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.