• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Town twinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
I believe that the borough of Lewisham is (or was) twinned with one of the districts or Bezirke of Berlin. Not sure if any other London boroughs are twinned with anywhere.
The Berlin district concerned, being Charlottenburg -- this still the case, so far as I know. Barnet, and Greenwich, are also twinned with districts of Berlin: Tempelhof-Schoeneberg, and Reinickendorf, respectively.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Acey

Hang, I like Bromely. In fact it was named the best place to live in London not long since.
Well ,Iv'e lived in Bromley for 72 years so maybe I'm just a tad immune to it's delights ,mind, there is some good points,close to London but still has a rural feel ( it's the largest and most rural of the London Boroughs)and five minutes by car you are in the countryside !

AJM580

My home city of Norwich is twinned with Rouen in France, Koblenz in Germany, Novi Sad in Serbia & El Veijo in Nicaragua. The three European cities are pretty historic like Norwich - El Viejo was chosen as a twin to help after the political upheaval in that country. Rouen Road & Koblenz Avenue are named for the twin cities and we have the Novi Sad Friendship bridge as well. My old secondary school was twinned with a school in Rouen, so in 1981 I had a fortnight there and stayed with a French family which was fun. As I remember we had a civic reception with the Mayor of Rouen & did some rail trips from Rouen to Paris, Dieppe and Cleres on SNCF.

DM352

Whitby UK and Whitby Ontario Canada. Could not see the same pairings for nearby Pickering and Scarborough which exist in both countries

Established Member
There are even some villages that have twin villages. For example Manorbier, on the Pembrokeshire coast in south Wales, is twinned with Vernou-la-Celle-sur-Seine, France. Does anyone know of any other examples of twin villages?
For several years, the villages of Lacey Green and Loosley Row in Buckinghamshire were twinned with Hambye in Normandy. I'm not precisely sure of the status of Hambye, but its centre is not much more than a village though it is the focal point for quite large area of the surrounding countryside. I think at that time several other villages in Bucks were twinned with a village in another country.

The Lacey Green link was organised entirely by volunteers and there were annual exchange visits with Hambye. It eventually lapsed as the original organisers on both sides moved away, or died, and there was no-one to keep things going.

Status
Not open for further replies.