TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by absolutelymilk, 4 Apr 2017.

1. Wtloild

Wtloild Member

Definitely DID see one today at Carlisle - it arrived empty northbound at platform 3, stayed for a few minutes then departed southbound empty again.

Incidentally, this didn't go down too well with many of my fellow passengers who'd been ejected from the TPE Edinburgh-Manchester service at Carlisle, "terminated due to lack of drivers"

2. skifans

skifans Member

3. STANDISH

STANDISH Member

Not looking good at the moment for this first train in service, which is a pity. Which 397 is running this service ?

4. NORMAN471

NORMAN471 Member

I've been told that 397007 is doing the honours.

5. EE Andy b1

EE Andy b1 Established Member

Don't think there are problems with 397007, just overhead line problems causing delays, again.

6. skifans

skifans Member

Yep, 397007. Pictured at Oxenholme and Lancaster. Standing room only so the extra carriage very much appreciated. Seems nice.

Attached Files:

7. EE Andy b1

Good piccies.
    I know a bit of chaos this morning because of the overhead wire damage,and TPE cancelling Scottish services but the 397 standing room only already! 5 car not going to be enough for the future. Bad management again.

8. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

Putting 11 coaches with of Pendolino passengers onto it didn't help. It was fine until then.

9. EE Andy b1

Thats fair enough but I wonder how many of those passengers off the Pendolino were already TPE passengers off the previous 2 cancelled TPE Manchester to Scotland services before the overhead problems.

10. EE Andy b1

Well done, the first 397 in passenger service has made it throughout Manchester Airport to Edinburgh. A quick turn round now then for a late return.

11. driver9000

Probably none because 3 trains had gone north ahead of the 397 and were held in platforms.

12. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Turned round in 12 minutes which is very creditable.
    It could easily have turned into a "no crew" situation.
    Running just behind the 1252 VT which should have formed the cancelled 1052.
    Not a good morning if you wanted to leave Edinburgh via the WCML.

13. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Not a good morning on any of TPE.

14. EE Andy b1

Did you manage to get to York and was it an 802 or a 68 in all the cancellations and delays?

15. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

12:11 running very late - just passed it at Lancaster. Very smart looking unit and that particular service looked lightly loaded.

PIS appeared to be non-functional upon arrival but kicked in after the North end pantograph was dropped for a few minutes and raised again (reset?).

16. Bletchleyite

Yep, the 802 ran as billed though I bailed for the Northern stopper at Leeds as it was just getting unpleasantly packed.

Cheers to yourself and others who assisted with working out which one :)

17. Nymanic

Nymanic Member

Wow, it's starting to look messy. The departure board at Penrith doesn't look very friendly for those trying to get back to Manchester, with the next three Transpennine services cancelled.

And guess where I happen to be just now...

The next train south is at 1907. I shan't expect a seat.

Attached Files:

18. yrreb

yrreb Member

Had a ride on it this morning from MIA (after taking that picture on the Twitter post...) just down to Piccadilly, wish I could've spent longer onboard but seemed like a nice experience and a world apart from a 350 considering the route it's built for. Surprised to see it fill up so quickly throughout the day but as said previously it was down to other cancellations. Time will tell how effective that extra carriage is!

19. NotATrainspott

NotATrainspott Established Member

The most important thing for TPE will be the increase in services the new trains will permit. There's little need to go for longer trains when it's possible and desirable to increase frequency instead. By adding more trains, and balancing the WCML service pattern better between Glasgow and Edinburgh, it should be possible to significantly improve the passenger experience on the northern WCML. Those 11-car Pendolinos aren't often that busy north of Preston and they're only heading to Glasgow, so sending more of the via-Birmingham services and the TPE ones to Edinburgh would make a lot of sense from a capacity perspective. While passengers from London will bias towards the ECML if they're headed for Edinburgh, from Lancashire onwards there's no great reason why Glasgow would be a more popular destination than Edinburgh. Glasgow may have more people, but Edinburgh is a more popular destination in itself and a better place for onward connections to the rest of Scotland.

20. 507021

507021 Established Member

Sorry if I've missed this, but could somebody tell me which TMD the 397s are allocated to please?

21. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Manchester International Depot

22. Bletchleyite

It's neither possible (reliably) nor desirable to increase frequency on TPE further. Extend all the stock to 7 car with SDO and be done with it.

23. yrreb

yrreb Member

I think one thing that should be addressed on the WCML is consistency - If you look at the North route of TPE for example, pretty much every Scarborough train calls at LEG, MCV, HUD, LDS, YRK, MLT, SEM with some late night alterations but the timings are roughly the same.

Over to WCML where some services run express, others stop everywhere, others skip specific stops... All while there's still 1.5tph to Glasgow and 1tph to Edinburgh

This fabled link station between Glasgow Central and Queen Street heading towards Edinburgh would be great, but let's not get too far off track...

24. driver9000

That's just the commissioning site. The units are allocated to Longsight.

25. 507021

507021 Established Member

Many thanks.

26. kc_

kc_ Member

How are the PIDs on the 397? Does it have the large LCDs like the Northern CAF stock? Heard somewhere that they'll have carriage seat availability info near the doors, though I guess this may not be switched on until they reintroduce reservations.

27. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

2 units in service today:
    https://twitter.com/TPEassist/status/1201053812951261186?s=19

28. Luke McDonnell

Luke McDonnell Member

Are the 397s due to be on the Liverpool-Glasgow service from when it starts on 15th December (I think) or will they use 185s or 350s as an interim measure/

Luke

29. BMIFlyer

BMIFlyer Member

All the Liverpool to Glasgow trains are diagrammed to be 397 operated.

30. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

How many 397s on 16 December on Anglo-Scottish workings? Aren't they going to have to use 185s for a short while?