• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wtloild

Definitely DID see one today at Carlisle - it arrived empty northbound at platform 3, stayed for a few minutes then departed southbound empty again.

Incidentally, this didn't go down too well with many of my fellow passengers who'd been ejected from the TPE Edinburgh-Manchester service at Carlisle, "terminated due to lack of drivers"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STANDISH

Not looking good at the moment for this first train in service, which is a pity. Which 397 is running this service ?

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Not looking good at the moment for this first train in service, which is a pity. Which 397 is running this service ?

Don't think there are problems with 397007, just overhead line problems causing delays, again.

skifans

Yep, 397007. Pictured at Oxenholme and Lancaster. Standing room only so the extra carriage very much appreciated. Seems nice.

Attachments

• image%3A102345.jpg
    image%3A102345.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 204
  • image%3A102344.jpg
    image%3A102344.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 195

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Yep, 397007. Pictured at Oxenholme and Lancaster. Standing room only so the extra carriage very much appreciated. Seems nice.
Good piccies.
I know a bit of chaos this morning because of the overhead wire damage,and TPE cancelling Scottish services but the 397 standing room only already! 5 car not going to be enough for the future. Bad management again.

driver9000

Established Member
Good piccies.
I know a bit of chaos this morning because of the overhead wire damage,and TPE cancelling Scottish services but the 397 standing room only already! 5 car not going to be enough for the future. Bad management again.

Putting 11 coaches with of Pendolino passengers onto it didn't help. It was fine until then.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Putting 11 coaches with of Pendolino passengers onto it didn't help. It was fine until then.

Thats fair enough but I wonder how many of those passengers off the Pendolino were already TPE passengers off the previous 2 cancelled TPE Manchester to Scotland services before the overhead problems.

EE Andy b1

Established Member
Well done, the first 397 in passenger service has made it throughout Manchester Airport to Edinburgh. A quick turn round now then for a late return.

driver9000

Established Member
Thats fair enough but I wonder how many of those passengers off the Pendolino were already TPE passengers off the previous 2 cancelled TPE Manchester to Scotland services before the overhead problems.

Probably none because 3 trains had gone north ahead of the 397 and were held in platforms.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well done, the first 397 in passenger service has made it throughout Manchester Airport to Edinburgh. A quick turn round now then for a late return.

Turned round in 12 minutes which is very creditable.
It could easily have turned into a "no crew" situation.
Running just behind the 1252 VT which should have formed the cancelled 1052.
Not a good morning if you wanted to leave Edinburgh via the WCML.

ScottDarg

First one in public service today: https://mobile.twitter.com/TPEassist/status/1200691655625629696

08:10 Manchester - Edinburgh
12:11 Edinburgh - Manchester
16:10 Manchester - Edinburgh

12:11 running very late - just passed it at Lancaster. Very smart looking unit and that particular service looked lightly loaded.

PIS appeared to be non-functional upon arrival but kicked in after the North end pantograph was dropped for a few minutes and raised again (reset?).

Nymanic

Wow, it's starting to look messy. The departure board at Penrith doesn't look very friendly for those trying to get back to Manchester, with the next three Transpennine services cancelled.

And guess where I happen to be just now...

The next train south is at 1907. I shan't expect a seat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-30-16-36-01-409_uk.co.nationalrail.google.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-30-16-36-01-409_uk.co.nationalrail.google.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 82

yrreb

Had a ride on it this morning from MIA (after taking that picture on the Twitter post...) just down to Piccadilly, wish I could've spent longer onboard but seemed like a nice experience and a world apart from a 350 considering the route it's built for. Surprised to see it fill up so quickly throughout the day but as said previously it was down to other cancellations. Time will tell how effective that extra carriage is!

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The most important thing for TPE will be the increase in services the new trains will permit. There's little need to go for longer trains when it's possible and desirable to increase frequency instead. By adding more trains, and balancing the WCML service pattern better between Glasgow and Edinburgh, it should be possible to significantly improve the passenger experience on the northern WCML. Those 11-car Pendolinos aren't often that busy north of Preston and they're only heading to Glasgow, so sending more of the via-Birmingham services and the TPE ones to Edinburgh would make a lot of sense from a capacity perspective. While passengers from London will bias towards the ECML if they're headed for Edinburgh, from Lancashire onwards there's no great reason why Glasgow would be a more popular destination than Edinburgh. Glasgow may have more people, but Edinburgh is a more popular destination in itself and a better place for onward connections to the rest of Scotland.

Established Member
Sorry if I've missed this, but could somebody tell me which TMD the 397s are allocated to please?

yrreb

I think one thing that should be addressed on the WCML is consistency - If you look at the North route of TPE for example, pretty much every Scarborough train calls at LEG, MCV, HUD, LDS, YRK, MLT, SEM with some late night alterations but the timings are roughly the same.

Over to WCML where some services run express, others stop everywhere, others skip specific stops... All while there's still 1.5tph to Glasgow and 1tph to Edinburgh

This fabled link station between Glasgow Central and Queen Street heading towards Edinburgh would be great, but let's not get too far off track...

kc_

How are the PIDs on the 397? Does it have the large LCDs like the Northern CAF stock? Heard somewhere that they'll have carriage seat availability info near the doors, though I guess this may not be switched on until they reintroduce reservations.

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Are the 397s due to be on the Liverpool-Glasgow service from when it starts on 15th December (I think) or will they use 185s or 350s as an interim measure/

Luke

BMIFlyer

Are the 397s due to be on the Liverpool-Glasgow service from when it starts on 15th December (I think) or will they use 185s or 350s as an interim measure/

Luke

All the Liverpool to Glasgow trains are diagrammed to be 397 operated.

Status
Not open for further replies.