• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Class 397 ('Nova 2') construction and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengley

Established Member
I find the ride quality to be excellent on most units now and the clunking noise from the bogies has definitely been reduced/stopped altogether on most of them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halish Railway

Established Member
The ride quality is similar between the 195/331/397 and Mk5a coaches.
Unfortunately that might not be a very good comparison as they're all so inconsistent! Personally, I found 195 112 to be glossy smooth, but 331 101 to be astonishingly rough. The rest of the 195s and 331 are just poor - I'm yet to ride a 397 so I can't make a fair judgement, but I've found that the Mk5a coaches have bedded in well.
I find the ride quality to be excellent on most units now and the clunking noise from the bogies has definitely been reduced/stopped altogether on most of them.
I've found that with the Mk5a coaches and some of Northern's Civities have experienced the same phenomenon, such as the aforementioned 195 112.

MDB1images

I'm told 397012 has joined the list of those worked in traffic.
Just 001 left(unless it's worked earlier in week).
They start on a Liverpool to Glasgow service from the 18th.

driver9000

Established Member
I'm told 397012 has joined the list of those worked in traffic.
Just 001 left(unless it's worked earlier in week).
They start on a Liverpool to Glasgow service from the 18th.

012 has entered service but 001 is yet to carry passengers.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Well they've got time to do that as all twelve won't be needed for the foreseeable future.

Geeves

Established Member
I wouldn't be so sure about that James. Now that the trains can only carry a fraction of the regular amount they could probably do with joining up as ten cars!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be so sure about that James. Now that the trains can only carry a fraction of the regular amount they could probably do with joining up as ten cars!

Problem is they won't fit in the usual platforms at either end of the route if you do that.

Liverpool 507

Would be pointless as Manchester Airport can’t handle two Cl397s. Manchester Airport can only handle eight coaches on each platform.

Neither can Manchester Oxford Road.

irish_rail

Established Member
I can't understand why new stock seems to be fitted with ridiculously loud AWS - there were similar complaints from Northern drivers with their new stock. It's actually distracting and counterproductive having something so egerious in the cab yet we hear regularly on here and elsewhere complaints from drivers asking for it to be toned down.

Had a Voyager the other day which had the modified LED style sunflower and a much quieter sounder and it was bliss in comparison.
On 80x stock the AWS ping is quieter than say a HST, so much so that in the early days of driving them, most GWR drivers had at least one occasion of missing the AWS horn going off as it was so quiet!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
no, but coupling up at preston then going to Edinburgh would probably be doable.

Probably not for services using platform 14 or 10 - looks like TPE currently get allocated 7,10,11 or 14 at different points of the day (noting that they could only extend one service to 10-car at a time and it would cause chaos at Preston during the division as the flow is generally to Manchester). I don't think it is going to happen.

driver9000

Established Member
Even with the uplift of service from Monday there are still no planned 10 coach class 397 services.

tpjm

There’s more chance of a double 185 than there ever is on a double 397

Preston and Glasgow no longer sign Class 185 traction, not to mention that they can't meet the timetable, so it'd need to be a pretty special service.

driver9000

Established Member
Preston and Glasgow no longer sign Class 185 traction, not to mention that they can't meet the timetable, so it'd need to be a pretty special service.

That's not entirely true. Preston (and those at Glasgow who sign them) still sign 185s but need to be retrained on C-ASDO.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's not entirely true. Preston (and those at Glasgow who sign them) still sign 185s but need to be retrained on C-ASDO.

Assuming that Preston (and Glasgow) crew are going to retain competency on 185s, where will they do this?

bengley

Established Member
They can meet the timetable ;)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Having a casual look at Journey Check over the last couple of days there have been a few Anglo-Scottish full and part cancellations "due to a fault on this train." Are these still problematic? Would a socially distanced travelling fitter be best on board to quickly diagnose any faults, as has happened occasionally on other trains?

Fokx

Having a casual look at Journey Check over the last couple of days there have been a few Anglo-Scottish full and part cancellations "due to a fault on this train." Are these still problematic? Would a socially distanced travelling fitter be best on board to quickly diagnose any faults, as has happened occasionally on other trains?

It wouldn’t be allowed under social distancing guidelines. Maintenance staff are not permitted in either cab in an in-service unit to protect the driver and guard.

Last edited:

It wouldn’t be allowed under social distancing guidelines. Maintenance staff are not permitted in either cab in an in-service unit to protect the driver and guard.

The TIs have been working though.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Another failure today. Seems to be becoming a daily or at least several times weekly occurrence. Not so bad right now but will be an issue going forward (which it appears said 397 isn't managing!)

Status
Not open for further replies.