• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE: First Group UK Careers: 6 Trainee Driver opportunities arise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Recruiting for:

Glasgow Central
Cleethorpes
Manchester Picc
Hull
York
Liverpool Lime Street

Closing date 3rd September

Best of luck!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up! I've put in an application though that SJT was pretty hard I thought in terms of many answers being quite similar!!

beany

Trainee drivers wanted for :
Cleethorpes
Glasgow Central
Hull
Liverpool lime street
Manchester Piccadilly
York
Closing date states 3rd September
But most will know that these could be taken down in hours so don't delay.
Good luck

GLENMAYE77

I’m unable to apply as I breach the height requirements.....
This is the 1st TOC I’ve seen implementing this, wasnt sure it even went on anymore what with discrimination/equal opportunities. Ive not encountered any other TOC with this restriction although I’d assume they are all governed by the same Health & Safety regs??

Bucephalus

Another thread? Confused, but thanks - applied for Piccadilly :)

I presume it asks for your station choice later in the application? Maccadilly is the only one within an hour's travel of me so presumably I'm up against all of Manchester (if the application's still live when I awake tomorrow)

driver9000

Established Member
I’m unable to apply as I breach the height requirements.....
This is the 1st TOC I’ve seen implementing this, wasnt sure it even went on anymore what with discrimination/equal opportunities. Ive not encountered any other TOC with this restriction although I’d assume they are all governed by the same Health & Safety regs??

They've always been in place for as long as I can remember as the driving cab isn't exactly a Palace. They were certainly in place when I became a Driver.

Static65

Just submitted an application for York and seen that Manchester has already closed.

GLENMAYE77

They've always been in place for as long as I can remember as the driving cab isn't exactly a Palace. They were certainly in place when I became a Driver.

I vaguely remember something like that being in place a few years back when I first thought of applying but have never seen it on any other companies recruitments in recent years.

Alan smith

Good luck with that it’s already been taken off. Only one left is york at minute but am sure that be taken off in the next few hours

Mike121

Good luck with that it’s already been taken off. Only one left is york at minute but am sure that be taken off in the next few hours

I’m internal mate so there open for us for two weeks. Only closed for external

xtradj

Ten roles over six places. So on average less than 2 positions per location.

I wonder how many applications they accept before closing each location? 250 maybe?

Last edited:
I've a bit of a conundrum... I already have a application in for SWR which started in Feb this year and for which I'm still waiting for a DMI.

I'd like to apply for the York post but it's asking if I've applied for a drivers job with First Group in the last 6 months.... What to do?

martin2345uk

Established Member
I've a bit of a conundrum... I already have a application in for SWR which started in Feb this year and for which I'm still waiting for a DMI.

I'd like to apply for the York post but it's asking if I've applied for a drivers job with First Group in the last 6 months.... What to do?

Was it within 6 months? If not you’re fine and if so I’d be honest.

tiptoptaff

Established Member

It's 6months from the date you're unsuccessful, so if you're awaiting DMI you should be ok

It's 6months from the date you're unsuccessful, so if you're awaiting DMI you should be ok
Cheers... thats what I was thinking although it's not clear on the application. Anyway I have submitted it and it appears alongside my SWR application.

Oddly even though all my personal details are already on the site - which saved a lot of time, I still have to redo the SJ questions again even though I did them a week or two ago for the SWR job (long story) and they are identical!

Static65

Cheers... thats what I was thinking although it's not clear on the application. Anyway I have submitted it and it appears alongside my SWR application.

Oddly even though all my personal details are already on the site - which saved a lot of time, I still have to redo the SJ questions again even though I did them a week or two ago for the SWR job (long story) and they are identical!

My email invite to the online test states:

"If you believe you may have already successfully completed this test within the last 6 months, please call 01793 425 669"

Might be worth giving them a call to check, although I dont know if they work weekends and we only get 48 hours to complete them.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
although I dont know if they work weekends and we only get 48 hours to complete them.

they do not. so best to do the online tests anyway as not to miss the deadline, although they failed to send me one for my BTM one, emailed me saying I'd missed the deadline then I rang and they sorted it all out. They're fairly good. Shouldn't need to do the OPC tests again.

HOWEVER - if you chose to have a DMI with TPE you will automatically be withdrawn from SWR and vice-versa. That's First's policy.

NOTE FOR ALL. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE ORDER OF USE FOR FIRST GROUP TALENT POOLS:

1)Internal (ie, in this case current Trans Pennine Express Staff)
2) First Group Rail Internals (In this case, SWR or GWR Current employees, no order differential for either, both in same pool)
3) First UK Bus Internals (described by HR as being as good as External)
4) Externals

The highest placed in each category will be entered directly below the lowest in the one above. If pool is filled by TPE Internals then the jobs will go nowhere else. Rumoured to be only 10 vacancies across all 6depots combined.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just completed the alphanumeric matching test online, was a bit unprepared for the lack of practice questions but did it in 3 minutes 29 seconds, no clue if that's good or terrible! I guess it depends how many I got wrong!

Just completed the alphanumeric matching test online, was a bit unprepared for the lack of practice questions but did it in 3 minutes 29 seconds, no clue if that's good or terrible! I guess it depends how many I got wrong!

I did this the other day and it said it shouldn't take more than 30 mins in the email, which is handy as you only get 5 mins complete it! Think I did OK then which is why it's a pain to have to do it again!

Static65

NOTE FOR ALL. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE ORDER OF USE FOR FIRST GROUP TALENT POOLS:

1)Internal (ie, in this case current Trans Pennine Express Staff)
2) First Group Rail Internals (In this case, SWR or GWR Current employees, no order differential for either, both in same pool)
3) First UK Bus Internals (described by HR as being as good as External)
4) Externals

The highest placed in each category will be entered directly below the lowest in the one above. If pool is filled by TPE Internals then the jobs will go nowhere else. Rumoured to be only 10 vacancies across all 6depots combined.

Very useful information. Thank you for highlighting this.

Makes you wonder why they would go the the effort and cost of testing external applicatants when there is such a slim chance of one being selected, even if they are the most suited individual for the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.