• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE services allocated for Double units

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
So this one - the 0808 departure from Sheffield - was indeed a double 185.

However, there was confusion about what would happen at Manchester Piccadilly. (AIUI the train has to split at Piccadilly as there isn't the platform space at Manchester Airport for a full 6 car set at that point). The announcement at Sheffield was that the front 3 coaches would continue to Manchester Airport while the rear 3 coaches would terminate at Manchester Piccadilly, and this was backed up by the seat reservations being on the front set. But the conductor on the back set (where I was - it was pretty lightly loaded, which was lovely, though I suspect the front set was much busier!) was saying that in fact the rear set would continue to the Airport and the front set would terminate at Piccadilly. I didn't hang around to see what actually happened but if that's right, and nothing changes, there's going to be a lot of confused and frustrated passengers wanting the Airport but ending up in the wrong half of the train.
The service reverses at Piccadilly, so the front of the train going into Piccadilly will become the rear of the train (or the bit left behind if they do a split) when it heads out to the airport. I would guess someone or some computer system did not take account of this leading to the confusion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Nothing on Journey Check today so far. Hopefully all runs smoothly despite no 802s out today.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Slightly late on the update but I can confirm that the 06:26 Cleethorpes to Airport was only 3-car this morning and nothing on Journey Check.

yrreb

I believe it's subject to whether there's Class 802s out in service, in which case we should find out for sure very soon

Killingworth

Established Member
After the excited anticipation of more twin 185s on South Pennine it's gone a bit flat.

On Monday the 8.11 from Sheffield was indeed 6 coaches - but the 7.11 had been sent out as 3, so more pain for the busier early service for the relief later. Situation normal since, 6 cars on the 7.11 and 3 on the 8.11.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
After the excited anticipation of more twin 185s on South Pennine it's gone a bit flat.

On Monday the 8.11 from Sheffield was indeed 6 coaches - but the 7.11 had been sent out as 3, so more pain for the busier early service for the relief later. Situation normal since, 6 cars on the 7.11 and 3 on the 8.11.

Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul! My shifts won't allow me to see the 08:11 from Sheffield until at least next Wednesday but I'm optimistic about TPE sorting everything out between now and then!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
06:26 Cleethorpes to Airport only 3-car today and nothing on Journey Check.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Both morning services to Manchester Airport are 3-car today but at least there's something on Journey Check.

Killingworth

Established Member
Both morning services to Manchester Airport are 3-car today but at least there's something on Journey Check.

Good to see they're supposed to be 6, but not much consolation for the sardines aboard only 3. TPE have been promising 6 for at least 2 years and it's amazing that so many still make the journey every day.

The obvious answer for many is to relocate and that's what some are doing, crowded trains being the final straw.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Good to see they're supposed to be 6, but not much consolation for the sardines aboard only 3. TPE have been promising 6 for at least 2 years and it's amazing that so many still make the journey every day.

The obvious answer for many is to relocate and that's what some are doing, crowded trains being the final straw.
Are EMT as bad at that time? 4 car 158 has more capacity I understand then a 6 car 185 (seating in standard)

naverag

JourneyCheck also reporting that the 1553 Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes and the 1753 Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes will be 3 coaches instead of 6, despite the fact that AFAIK neither of them has ever been 6 coaches.

BHXDMT

JourneyCheck also reporting that the 1553 Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes and the 1753 Manchester Airport - Cleethorpes will be 3 coaches instead of 6, despite the fact that AFAIK neither of them has ever been 6 coaches.

The 15:53 should be 6 between Piccadilly and Cleethorpes as of last week (but no spare units of course), and I assume the 1753 has been entered incorrectly by Control as the 1653 is not listed on Journey Check and that is supposed to be 6.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
And on a side note one of the Anglo-Scottish services is 3 vice 4. Either a 185 or a 350 with one coach out of service.

Jozhua

Established Member
Only two diagrammed 802's on a daily basis and MK5A's are out of service yet again, so really not suprised if 3-car formations will continue to be the norm for a while. My guess is by about February/March next year we'll see 6-car formations on most services.

I used to do the journey quite a lot back to my old town from Manchester across the pennines but it's just not really worth it anymore. It's just ridiculously overpriced, uncomfortable and often delayed. The amount of stress for just a weekend is too much!

And on a side note one of the Anglo-Scottish services is 3 vice 4. Either a 185 or a 350 with one coach out of service.

Why would they take the 4th coach out of service? Is it broken or purely out of spite for passengers?

hooky3

Only two diagrammed 802's on a daily basis and MK5A's are out of service yet again, so really not suprised if 3-car formations will continue to be the norm for a while. My guess is by about February/March next year we'll see 6-car formations on most services.

I used to do the journey quite a lot back to my old town from Manchester across the pennines but it's just not really worth it anymore. It's just ridiculously overpriced, uncomfortable and often delayed. The amount of stress for just a weekend is too much!

Why would they take the 4th coach out of service? Is it broken or purely out of spite for passengers?

there was a 185 on the 16:12 from Edinburgh but it seems to have been swapped for a 350 again in Manchester for the 20:26 back.

Killingworth

Established Member

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yet again the 06:26 Cleethorpes to Airport is 3-car and nothing on Journey Check. Has it actually been 6 since 21/10? The three or four times I've seen it, it's been only 3.

Killingworth

Established Member
Yet again the 06:26 Cleethorpes to Airport is 3-car and nothing on Journey Check. Has it actually been 6 since 21/10? The three or four times I've seen it, it's been only 3.

Given that train has been 6 car for a couple of years, in theory, it is particularly disappointing that it's been cut, although recent observation at Dore suggests the Friday load is half that on Mondays. Word on the platform suggests that's because it was regularly turned out with 3 cars on Fridays so commuters planned to work from home on that day. Chicken and egg, they've helped create a 4 day demand. It was 6 cars last Friday.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Given that train has been 6 car for a couple of years, in theory, it is particularly disappointing that it's been cut, although recent observation at Dore suggests the Friday load is half that on Mondays. Word on the platform suggests that's because it was regularly turned out with 3 cars on Fridays so commuters planned to work from home on that day. Chicken and egg, they've helped create a 4 day demand. It was 6 cars last Friday.

I've managed to evade that issue by working either very locally or from home since December 2017 which is incidentally when all these issues started to occur. The only reason I can give live updates on some services is by my walking/jogging route being near the tracks at Stockport!

Killingworth

Established Member
Apparently the latest reason is all Nova 3 trains being withdrawn until a software issue is resolved. That requires development, testing and validation by CAF and they'll be back "shortly". Shortly is a technical term to mean God only knows when! We can but hope it's only a few days, more likely weeks, and not months.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Seeing as nova means "no go" in Spanish and Italian it seems appropriate at the moment!

CHAPS2034

Apparently the latest reason is all Nova 3 trains being withdrawn until a software issue is resolved. That requires development, testing and validation by CAF and they'll be back "shortly". Shortly is a technical term to mean God only knows when! We can but hope it's only a few days, more likely weeks, and not months.

Reported on another thread that the Nova 3s will be back in service on Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 5 o'clock Cleethorpes to Airport is 3-car but noted on Journey Check. Who knows how the hour later one will be?! Case of robbing Peter to pay Paul?

LittleAH

They are now back in service. So shortly did mean shortly.

Noticed habrough is to retain a full hourly servive to manchester airport from the start of the winter time table

OrangeJuice

Noticed habrough is to retain a full hourly servive to manchester airport from the start of the winter time table

Does that mean they've got those ASDO (Automatic Selective Door Opening) beacons working that are currently in the 4 foot?

BHXDMT

Hopefully that may allow early redeployment of some 185's to other routes, particularly South Pennine, very shortly - like tomorrow!

Unlikely as there are currently no 6 car services scheduled back to Cleethorpes this evening, which means no 6 cars tomorrow morning.

Does that mean they've got those ASDO (Automatic Selective Door Opening) beacons working that are currently in the 4 foot?

CASDO should be in use from early December, currently an additional Conductor assists if a scheduled 6 car calls there.

Status
Not open for further replies.