• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE STAFF BENEFITS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chat Moss

Hi all do TPE staff get reciprocal travel on Avanti given they re both first group companies?

I am considering applying for a position after working for Northern for 3 years and trying to weigh up the pros and cons of doing so. Maybe some on here have already made the move. Do you prefer it

Many thanks ks for any thoughts and insight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
I believe TPE staff get free travel on TPE services, residential travel on Northern and boxes for other first group (including avanti) train services. All standard class. Should be noted that is all non contractual and will change as and when First group gain/lose contracts.

klkl

I believe TPE staff get free travel on TPE services, residential travel on Northern and boxes for other first group (including avanti) train services.

Sorry I’m not familiar with the terminology but what does boxes mean?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sorry I’m not familiar with the terminology but what does boxes mean?
A carnet-type ticket where you write the date into a box (hence the name) each time you want to travel. In this case, FirstGroup TOC employees get 10 boxes a year for travel on other FirstGroup TOCs. Each box is valid on the date entered as well as the following day, so effectively you get up to 20 days of free travel a year, over a maximum of 10 weekends/trips.

From what I have been told by a friend, the facilities are (all in standard class):
  • Free TPE travel, for all purposes
  • Free Northern travel, for commuting purposes only, between the stations closest to home and work
  • 10 FirstGroup TOC boxes per year as described above
  • Priv and FIP as per other TOCs
The above, with some limitations and caveats, also being available to your partner and dependents. You also have an annual (calendar year) allowance of Rovers you can buy for unlimited travel on FirstGroup TOCs as follows:
  • 48 x 1 Day Rover for either GWR, TPE, Avanti or SWR. £6 per adult and £3 per child.
  • 8 x 1 Day Rover for Hull Trains. £12 per adult and £6 per child.
  • 12 x 1 Day First Class Rover for GWR. £30 per adult and £15 per child.
  • 12 x 1 Day Combined tickets for SWR & GWR. £10 per adult and £6 per child.
  • 12 x Rover tickets for Lumo. £14 per person for a 1 day Rover or £21 per person for a 3 day Rover.
The above Rovers can be used by either the employee (if they've run out of boxes or want to travel in First Class), or by any family & friends travelling with the employee. There are a few limitations on times you can travel and the maximum number of people who can travel on these Rovers at once.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Paul 1980

A carnet-type ticket where you write the date into a box (hence the name) each time you want to travel. In this case, FirstGroup TOC employees get 10 boxes a year for travel on other FirstGroup TOCs. Each box is valid on the date entered as well as the following day, so effectively you get up to 20 days of free travel a year, over a maximum of 10 weekends/trips.

From what I have been told by a friend, the facilities are (all in standard class):
  • Free Northern travel, for commuting purposes only, between the stations closest to home and work
The above, with some limitations and caveats, also being available to your partner and dependents. You also have an annual (calendar year) allowance of Rovers you can buy for unlimited travel on FirstGroup TOCs as follows:
  • 48 x 1 Day Rover for either GWR, TPE, Avanti or SWR. £6 per adult and £3 per child.
  • 12 x Rover tickets for Lumo. £14 per person for a 1 day Rover or £21 per person for a 3 day Rover.
The above Rovers can be used by either the employee (if they've run out of boxes or want to travel in First Class), or by any family & friends travelling with the employee. There are a few limitations on times you can travel and the maximum number of people who can travel on these Rovers at once.

Hope that helps.
Yes that's great thanks.

Does anyone know what they get for working rest days and Sundays?

I appreciate that at the moment they are in disagreement but what was it before as regardless of how the dispute ends I doubt any agreement would be worse from an employee point of view.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no rest day working agreement for drivers at the moment - it was withdrawn by ASLEF shortly before the last agreement expired and there is now no agreement in place, except for training. Sundays have been in their working week for many years now.

The RMT are instructing their conductor members not to undertake any rest day working, and obviously there are the strikes every Sunday until June, plus a few Saturdays.

I appreciate that at the moment they are in disagreement but what was it before as regardless of how the dispute ends I doubt any agreement would be worse from an employee point of view.
I don't think you can be certain of anything in the current climate. I certainly wouldn't base any decision to move company on an expectation of earning extra from RDW or Sundays.

klkl

Hope that helps.

Really helpful thank you for explaining it so thoroughly!

Efini92

Established Member
Hi all do TPE staff get reciprocal travel on Avanti given they re both first group companies?

I am considering applying for a position after working for Northern for 3 years and trying to weigh up the pros and cons of doing so. Maybe some on here have already made the move. Do you prefer it

Many thanks ks for any thoughts and insight.
What grade?

TheVicLine

Yes that's great thanks.

For drivers there is no current rest day agreement, it was 10 hours at time and three quarters which worked out at about £550 for the shift regardless how long it was (max 10 hours). Sunday is part of the working week for drivers so it's normal pay as are bank holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.