• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track Access VR Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I've seen quite a few of this type of video when looking for cab ride videos and it's interesting to see what the simulators used to train drivers actually look like. I suppose the main thing is the signalling and trackwork - and trackside structures I guess too - and not the graphics. The simulators used for driver-training also seem to have, and rightly so, a much larger emphasis on the physics of the train than Train Simulator. When it's wet and horrible you'd want your driver to be able to control the train!

-Peter :)

Darandio

Established Member
The simulators used for driver-training also seem to have, and rightly so, a much larger emphasis on the physics of the train than Train Simulator. When it's wet and horrible you'd want your driver to be able to control the train!

Indeed. Although when you have over a hundred drivers coming on stream at once and no multi-million pound simulators available to use at that point, Train Simulator in a classroom can prove very useful indeed.

MTRC2.jpgMTRC4.jpgMTRC5.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Indeed. Although when you have over a hundred drivers coming on stream at once and no multi-million pound simulators available to use at that point, Train Simulator in a classroom can prove very useful indeed.

View attachment 92960View attachment 92961View attachment 92962View attachment 92963View attachment 92964
Oh wow - I never would have thought TS would even come close to a real driver-training classroom, but that's probably just me putting it down too much. If it gives a driver a basic idea of a route then I suppose it's worth using in the beginning steps if nothing else is available, as you say.

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
Oh wow - I never would have thought TS would even come close to a real driver-training classroom, but that's probably just me putting it down too much. If it gives a driver a basic idea of a route then I suppose it's worth using in the beginning steps if nothing else is available, as you say.

-Peter

Yes, at a very basic training level it was fine. It wasn't strictly off the shelf TS in that the route was modified, scenarios were designed directly for the training program and the train used at the time wasn't on general sale.

CarrotPie

-Peter
Wasn't TS originally made for driver training on the GARL, then when that was abandoned, it was developed into TS?

Darandio

Established Member
Wasn't TS originally made for driver training on the GARL, then when that was abandoned, it was developed into TS?

No, GARL was a route created in TS for use with ScotRail. When the route project was abandoned, the route was released on Steam.

The origins of TS go back to 2007 when it was called Rail Simulator.

Inversnecky

View attachment 92967
That's a mighty fancy "Rail Driver" there - puts the ATS version in the shade! An industry bespoke version, I guess?

What route was being used for the driver training, do we know?

jp4712

That's a mighty fancy "Rail Driver" there - puts the ATS version in the shade! An industry bespoke version, I guess?

What route was being used for the driver training, do we know?
Looks like a bog-standard RailDriver unit to me, I have one and it makes the sim much more immersive.

Inversnecky

Yes, I see now. Loking online, it seems to be cheaper than the ATS controller, despite having a lot more controls.

Inversnecky

No, GARL was a route created in TS for use with ScotRail. When the route project was abandoned, the route was released on Steam.

It was trying a GARL scenario this morning: unusual movements - seemed rather messy with speed limits changing on the HUD, but no signs on the lines!

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, at a very basic training level it was fine. It wasn't strictly off the shelf TS in that the route was modified, scenarios were designed directly for the training program and the train used at the time wasn't on general sale.
Oh OK - thanks for the response (and sorry for such a late reply). I never knew about this and it's really interesting to see how things can be modified to suit such needs. That looks a lot like the (AP?) 321 to me?

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
Oh OK - thanks for the response (and sorry for such a late reply). I never knew about this and it's really interesting to see how things can be modified to suit such needs. That looks a lot like the (AP?) 321 to me?

Yeah it was the AP 321 for the first couple of weeks when the classroom opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.