• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track induction - 15 years experience but no formal induction so can't get roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballandclaw

Hi guys,

I am after some more information regarding track induction, I started working for Balfour Beatty rail as a trainee back in 2006 (Age 18) p-way and never completed any track induction I learned on the job.

I quickly moved up to eventually charge hand role involved in all aspect of permanent way.

Fast forward nearly 15 years later I decided to part ways with Balfours and move back to the North west now these agencies who by all accounts are crying out for “experience white hats” say am not track inducted and will not entertain me.

any suggestions do I need to complete a 5/10 days course telling me how to suck eggs !

thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cakefiend

Regardless of what you call it, there must be a record of what you are officially qualified to do somewhere. That is what these agencies want to see along with your Sentinel card.

Ballandclaw

My friend thanks for the response,

I actually thought this was the case but after today am left feeling absolutely infuriated!

On the Friday I seen a advertisement saying we are looking for experience white hat trackman in the Northwest so I called and spoke to guy from vital who asked for my sentinel number wile on the phone he asked me why I didnt hold track induction,

I explained I had never done track induction but I have a vast amount of experience 15yrs as well as safety critical and arc welding.
He asked where I was (Liverpool) and if I drove and if I could drive to there office 10:00 Monday morning (Manchester) to register.
So I drove to Manchester 50min drive I walked in he said nothing I can do for you, without track induction and smiled at me I said why did you not tell me this on the phone you have wasted my time he then told me that he had (25years experience himself )and he knew that no one could alter the gauge of the track without track induction ‍♂️

Eebbs1912

Same sort of thing happened to my mate. Vital can sponsor you on to a track induction course but think it's a few hundred quid.

Regardless of what you call it, there must be a record of what you are officially qualified to do somewhere. That is what these agencies want to see along with your Sentinel card.
Have you left balfour yet? if not, scan the qr code on your employee card and it'll bring up your competency page. You can screenshot it and send it on to companies.

CJK64

My friend thanks for the response,

I actually thought this was the case but after today am left feeling absolutely infuriated!

On the Friday I seen a advertisement saying we are looking for experience white hat trackman in the Northwest so I called and spoke to guy from vital who asked for my sentinel number wile on the phone he asked me why I didnt hold track induction,

I explained I had never done track induction but I have a vast amount of experience 15yrs as well as safety critical and arc welding.
He asked where I was (Liverpool) and if I drove and if I could drive to there office 10:00 Monday morning (Manchester) to register.
So I drove to Manchester 50min drive I walked in he said nothing I can do for you, without track induction and smiled at me I said why did you not tell me this on the phone you have wasted my time he then told me that he had (25years experience himself )and he knew that no one could alter the gauge of the track without track induction ‍♂️

He is right. Any competency you may hold would not officially be valid without TR00 (Track induction)
The course itself is geared up for new starters and covers the basics but for to the pre requisite for all other TR competencies.
If the company your are applying to wants your services, surely they could sponsor you to undertake this training prior to you starting with them?

Ballandclaw

He is right. Any competency you may hold would not officially be valid without TR00 (Track induction)
The course itself is geared up for new starters and covers the basics but for to the pre requisite for all other TR competencies.
If the company your are applying to wants your services, surely they could sponsor you to undertake this training prior to you starting with them?
I have since contacted sentinel directly you don’t need track induction.

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
In addition to the above. How do you obtain a PTS without being employed by a company that offers one to those without?

I've held them before whilst working for agencies but as the jobs finished and I worked elsewhere they ran out. In the past you could pay for and get attend a course yourself like you can with CSCS cards.
Now you need a sponsor, but it's ''Murphy's Law'' you need one to get a job with most firms, but cant get one without a job. The only company that appears to advertise without the need to have one is Network Rail but if you are employed by them its unlikely you will move to a unsecure position from one with far more.

Ballandclaw

Crackers mate it really is.

I have seen it myself agencies would send out lads who couldn’t use a pan puller ‍♂️, so I fully get why they would create a course for people new to the industry.
But ultimately it’s main purpose is ££££ for the training companies at about £600 5days course

Eebbs1912

In addition to the above. How do you obtain a PTS without being employed by a company that offers one to those without?

I've held them before whilst working for agencies but as the jobs finished and I worked elsewhere they ran out. In the past you could pay for and get attend a course yourself like you can with CSCS cards.
Now you need a sponsor, but it's ''Murphy's Law'' you need one to get a job with most firms, but cant get one without a job. The only company that appears to advertise without the need to have one is Network Rail but if you are employed by them its unlikely you will move to a unsecure position from one with far more.
If you phone rail agencies they'll usually go your sponsor for courses if you cover the costs. My mate done this with vital. Check your card on sentinel, they extended all the expiry dates, mine was supposed to be up in june 2021 but has been extended till january 22

PTSNEEDED2021

On Moderation
If you phone rail agencies they'll usually go your sponsor for courses if you cover the costs. My mate done this with vital. Check your card on sentinel, they extended all the expiry dates, mine was supposed to be up in june 2021 but has been extended till january 22
I've long left the railway and gained a secure job albelt low paid, my last PTS was in the time the first went to Credit Card style. I'd like to return on either side. The PTS is the stumbling block.

Status
Not open for further replies.