• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track Operative online assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyd

Hi all
I'm a complete newbie to the rail forum and this is my first post but have recently applied for a Track Operative's post via the external application form.
I know the next stage will be an online assessment via shl (I think!) but can anyone please give me a heads up as to what to expect as I am SO out of practice with exams, tests, etc and really do not want to mess up.
I'm expecting it to be an engineering/mechanical aptitude type test but hey, I could be totally wrong!! Maybe its loads of tests!! Ahhgggg...yikes
Any info would be gratefully received
Many thanks in advance

andy d

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan567

Hi, I'm new to this myself, Once they have sent you the SHL test links, they will say what they are next to the links, I've just applied for a operative job and the tests I recieved where- following instructions(basically reading a set of instructions on how things are filed etc then answer questions on what should be filed where is one example)sounds easy but 40 question in 8 mins seemed impossible to get them all without just randomly guessing,I made sure I read the questions on every page to insure the instructions hadn't changed, I got about 25 but I'm 99% sure they where all correct.

Second test was what they call a dsi(instrument test) basically just answer the questions with a response which is most like you in work basically so they can determine what sort of person you are.

Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

andyd

Thanks a lot Dan567.....
I really thought it would be engineering/physics based questions though I must admit, 40 questions in 8 mins might be a nightmare!!!!
Hopefully the second batch of "character " type questions won't be a problem as I know RT are hot on safety awareness, teamwork, hardworking chaps etc, so hopefully I'll be ok
Good luck matey with your assessments and interviews (if all goes well!) and thanks so much for the info....andy

Dan567

Thanks alot and no problem, glad i've been of some assistance, good luck with your assessments and interviews to mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.