• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track Side Cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Recently I have noticed there have been track side cameras installed at several locations on both the national rail network but most predominantly on the DLR. I asked a member of staff what they was and he said he believed they are for measurement recording and not for CCTV. They can turn 360 degrees and twist back and forth several times a minute - they look very scary and remind me of a dalek!

Found a photo of one on Flickr; what are these?

6262847121_bcc075f77e.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Aren't these the things that are monitoring for subsidence because of the Crossrail tunnels being dug underneath?

Clip

Established Member
Yes,they are.

if you look around the tracks and structures you will see little reflecting discs dotted about which then send the beam back.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Recording theodolites, not cameras. There are some on the platforms at Paddington.

They provide a data record rather than pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.