• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trackworker clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyz

Anyone know if track workers are allowed to wear shorts? ive seen the orange hi viz ones but just wanna know if we're allowed to wear them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I've seen loads of track workers in shorts. On especially hot days it is not uncommon for them to be shirtless underneath the orange vest.

MattRobinson

One of our track workers was wearing shorts yesterday. I can't see a safety reason for not wearing shorts, but companies may not be happy with their workers wearing shorts from a presentation POV.

cnicht

All persons on or about the track are not allowed to wear shorts on the Network Rail infrastructure, it is in the rule book.

Established Member
I'm sure there was a change recently which said all trackworkers had to wear full-length hi-viz trousers, although I can't remember mention of shorts.

cnicht

Which rule? Do you know why?

The rule came in about 5 years ago, but has been ignored in some areas of Network Rail, as somebody rightly quoted full length high vis trousers or overtrousers must be worn, this does not apply to train drivers etc in depots or going to signal telephones etc.

wensley

Established Member
Don't hold me to this...but I believe that its simply due to the fact that there are lots of ways to scratch/scrape and bash your legs when working on infrastructure. Its definitely not permitted on NR metals as per the rule book though

Status
Not open for further replies.