• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Traction and rolling stock technician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmh310302?

I am due to leave the armed forces in October next.i have level 3 in welding and fabrication.plus level 3 in leadership and management.i will gain a level 3 in rolling stock systems technician.and also IOSH in health and safety.completed 22 in Royal Electrical and mechanical engineering REME.will these qualifications be enough to get into the rail sector as rolling stock systems technician.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Different TOC’s, assuming it’s a TOC you want to join, have different names for roles.
Is rolling stock systems technician a particular role you’ve heard of somewhere as I haven’t as such.
What level are you hoping to enter at? Your qualifications will be fine for a general shop floor maintenance engineer doing routine exams and light repairs etc.
After that being more of a Technician role like fault finding, data analysis etc, I would imagine they would want some railway background first.

Gmh310302?

Different TOC’s, assuming it’s a TOC you want to join, have different names for roles.
Is rolling stock systems technician a particular role you’ve heard of somewhere as I haven’t as such.
What level are you hoping to enter at? Your qualifications will be fine for a general shop floor maintenance engineer doing routine exams and light repairs etc.
After that being more of a Technician role like fault finding, data analysis etc, I would imagine they would want some railway background first.
Will have level 3 in rolling stock.and level3 in welding and fabrication.

Gmh310302 wheredid you get your rolling stock qualification? level 3 rolling stock systems . I've been looking for a course to improve my CV cheers

Gmh310302?

Gmh310302 wheredid you get your rolling stock qualification? level 3 rolling stock systems . I've been looking for a course to improve my CV cheers
I've not done it yet.but will be doing it through the armed forces.think it's at northampton.not done level 1 or 2 doing straight level 3.

Do you think I will get a job with that qualification and already have level 3 in welding and fabrication.
I think it will definitely help. The rail industry tend to like ex-forces especially bombardier.

I'm a contractor and that could be a good way into the industry

I have just finished a contract and that was 14 months, usually contracts are over a year. I have been in the industry over 12 years and have always been in work.

As a contractor you would have to be willing to be very flexible and be willing to travel or live in another city

Gmh310302?

I'm from the north Yorkshire.with welding background.need change of quals when I leave the forces.level 3 in rolling stock is a quick course the way I'm doing it.is the pay ok.

I have only worked in London , not sure what depots you have in Yorkshire.

Sounds like you (as a contractor) would be suited to a mechanical fitter role working underframe and on bogies c4 work.

In London pay ranges from £200 to £260 per day

Gmh310302?

Not bad pay.will get my courses done.doing IOSH health and safety.level 3 rolling stock.already qualified welder and fabrication.22 yrs as welder.

Status
Not open for further replies.