Trafford Park/Barton Dock

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by HullSimplibus, 7 Nov 2018.

1. HullSimplibus

HullSimplibus Member

It seems sad that most of the railway in Trafford Park has been disused and/or lifted. There seems to be about a million level crossings and even a streetrunning line, (well, running on the pavement practically).

But again, i'm really curious. I'm sorry if I ask a lot of questions, I just was not born in the time period/era trains ran to these areas more consistently.

When was the last train that ran along these lines, is there any photos if so? One that really got me curious too is the level crossings.

Thanks alot,
    Matt

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

Parts of the Trafford Park system were refurbished in the 1980s and, for a time traffic ran to and from Cerestar, Nortons scrapyard and possibly one or two other sites. The closure of wagonload was the death knell for Cerestar etc. Nortons and others could have continued with trainloads but the costings weren't in favour of rail.

There is a peculiarity about the road and rail system in Trafford Park. The roads are maintained by the Trafford Parks Estate Company, not at public expense. The cost of this is a charge within the rent structure of tenants. Everyone pays, even Nortons etc who used railfreight for a fair percentage of their scrap.

The rail system was also maintained by the Trafford Parks Estate Company. However, the cost of maintaining the railway was only charged to those companies using it. Thus the like of Nortons paid twice. It worked out much cheaper to stop using rail and send everything by road because the extra traffic they put on road incurred no extra charges.

4. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

I think the final traffic was GBRf trips along Barton Dock Road, which ceased in about 2012. They were worked by Class 09 shunters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 8 Nov 2018
  5. HullSimplibus

HullSimplibus Member

Its quite sad really. Rail wasted for damn road transport. Sounds like there is not much chance of it being reinstated either.

6. HullSimplibus

HullSimplibus Member

Nice photos. Do you know where I can find anymore? I'm absolutely fascinated!

7. Bevan Price

There have been one or two books about the Manchester Ship Canal railway system that contain some photos. You might find second hand copies somewhere, or a reference copy in libraries in the Manchester area, e.g.

"The Railways of the Manchester Ship Canal" by Don Thorpe (Oxford Publishing Co., ISBN 0 86093 288 5)

Includes photos & maps of the system which served both the Trafford Park Estate and the Ship Canal/Docks; part of the system reached the edge of Warrington.

8. HullSimplibus

HullSimplibus Member

Thanks mate. I will have a look at that.

As far as Warrington? Pretty far out.

9. Bevan Price

And there was also an unconnected section at Ellesmere Port, plus a large fleet of their own locos.

10. HullSimplibus

HullSimplibus Member

Sounds interesting! Think I will have a look around.