• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train and Bus day rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenhills

Hi

I have 3 of the above, so I would like to use them soon. The dates at the bottom are 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. If I still have them next year will they be valid. I bought one last year, not realising that it was already out of date, so I used it because I didnt check before I set off - no one mentioned it.

The second question, if I was going on the train to the coast from Leeds, maybe one adult and two or three children, would it work out out to board the train, and buy a ticket from the guard on leaving the metro area? Train to maybe Scarboro or Blackpool.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm assuming you mean the West Yorkshire Day Rover.

Once the year at the bottom is passed they have no further value - this is why I try and buy mine at Leeds station as they usually have a couple of years on whereas the ones from Keighley bus station are only valid until the end of this year.

To know whether it would be cheaper to have a day rover and an additional ticket we'd need to know where you're travelling to and from and how many of you there are - some journeys are worth doing this, some are not, and some are only worth it if you're prepared to get slower trains. If you do this, you're best buying the additional ticket before boarding the train if you can - some train companies will only sell limited tickets on board if it was possible to buy at your boarding station so it may be more expensive.

John @ home

Established Member
I try and buy mine at Leeds station as they usually have a couple of years on whereas the ones from Keighley bus station are only valid until the end of this year.
I have not been able to find any WY Metro scratch-off tickets displaying a date later than 2012. This has caused me to wonder whether a new system is about to be introduced.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have not been able to find any WY Metro scratch-off tickets displaying a date later than 2012. This has caused me to wonder whether a new system is about to be introduced.

I have some bought from Leeds which are 2014 (I just checked them).

Sapphire Blue

I too have recently bought several Family Day Rovers (or should that be Family Days Rover) from my local Post Office dated end 2014.
Asked the chap behind the counter about the 2012 Adult ones in my possession and he said I could take them back to him and he would swap them for later dated ones, then re-sell to people wanting immediate travel, or exchange them back to Metro.

Always worth asking.

(I will not tell which P.O. in case he was in breach of some rule or other.)

sevenhills

To know whether it would be cheaper to have a day rover and an additional ticket we'd need to know where you're travelling to and from and how many of you there are - some journeys are worth doing this, some are not, and some are only worth it if you're prepared to get slower trains. If you do this, you're best buying the additional ticket before boarding the train if you can - some train companies will only sell limited tickets on board if it was possible to buy at your boarding station so it may be more expensive.

I did a search online, and the price saving from Hebden Bridge was similar to the price of the family ticket. It would only be a saving if there were 4 people.

sheff1

Established Member
Never tried in West Yorks, but I have exchanged unused out of date Merseytravel and Strathclyde scratchards for new ones without any problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.