• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train and Timetable Planning

hst43102

Hi all, I've been applying for a variety of different railway jobs and train planning or timetable planning currently looks like something I would find interesting and enjoyable.
Does anyone here have experience with this area?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all, I've been applying for a variety of different railway jobs and train planning or timetable planning currently looks like something I would find interesting and enjoyable.
Does anyone here have experience with this area?

There are certainly some planners on the forum and others who have experience in that area. Anything particular you want to know?

hst43102

There are certainly some planners on the forum and others who have experience in that area. Anything particular you want to know?
I'd just like to know what the job involves on the day-to-day and how enjoyable it is, basically just any interesting specifics that the job descriptions don't show. :)

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'd just like to know what the job involves on the day-to-day and how enjoyable it is, basically just any interesting specifics that the job descriptions don't show. :)
It depends on what you end up doing, it could be the LTP (long term plan) timetable which is the base, STP (Short term plan) timetable which is for changes to accommodate engineering works, large events etc, or it could be the advance team (ATT) who look at timetable re-writes and proposed infrastructure changes, re-signaling and the like. If its STP, it could be within a regional passenger team or the freight team. I have to say, it is a job that either clicks or it doesn't in terms of the enjoyment element, there isn't much of an in between. STP tends to be more hectic than LTP in my view as you have to get the offers back out to operators within the timescales. Some STP weeks will be relatively straightforward, others will have you tearing your hair out trying to make things work. Industrial action planning is not fun. LTP has to be bang on as it will affect performance etc if the base is incorrect. I have no idea what the job descriptions say these days so I expect they are a bit vague!