• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train bashing in Brussels advice

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boiledbeans2

I'd say likely Bruxelles-Midi
Yep, you're right.

BTW, as you can see, there was a lot of snow and my train to Charleroi was delayed.
I was reading the SNCB website, and is it correct that delay repay is only paid if the delay was more than 60mins?

I had a delay of ~30min so that means I'm not eligible?

MarcVD

Thanks. Wasn't expecting two Inoui ones side by side there! More accustomed to Thalys types when I've passed through there.

Thalys is for going to Paris. There are a few French TGV connections for southern France destinations.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yep, you're right.

BTW, as you can see, there was a lot of snow and my train to Charleroi was delayed.
I was reading the SNCB website, and is it correct that delay repay is only paid if the delay was more than 60mins?

I had a delay of ~30min so that means I'm not eligible?

Over half an hour's delay should qualify for compensation. Loved my days in Belgium.

boiledbeans2

Did you manage to see what power was hauling or pushing your M4 set ?
I had 2755 on the Brussels to Charleroi.

I also had another M4 run on Brussels-Luxembourg to Brussels South (originating from Liege I believe). I didn't catch the number but it was a Eurosprinter loco.

EuroRail

This thread has been really useful - I'm currently planning my trip to Belgium, staying in Brussels.

I hope to photograph the PCC trams in Brussels and would also be interested in any of the older classic Belgian electric locos - are they still about and in use?

Also wondering about visiting Antwerp for the metre gauge trams. I'm presuming Antwerp's PCC trams are still in use? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to the routes I'm most likely to find them on?

Thanks in advance.

rvdborgt

I hope to photograph the PCC trams in Brussels and would also be interested in any of the older classic Belgian electric locos - are they still about and in use?
Some PCCs in Brussels and locos type 21 and 27 are still in use.
Also wondering about visiting Antwerp for the metre gauge trams. I'm presuming Antwerp's PCC trams are still in use?
Yes they are. No idea on which routes though.

boiledbeans2

Also wondering about visiting Antwerp for the metre gauge trams. I'm presuming Antwerp's PCC trams are still in use? If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to the routes I'm most likely to find them on?
Looking back at my photos from December 2022, I saw PCC trams on 11. They run past Antwerp Central, so should be very convenient.

Wiki says most of 11 are PCC trams:
You can probably check wiki for all the routes one by one, to see what trams they use.

MarcVD

You will find 3-car PCCs on line 81, which goes through Brussels Midi station. And at the end of this line (station Montgomery) stands the terminus of lines 39 and 44 that are exclusively served by 2-cars PCC trams.

Oldest belgian locos are HLE 21 and 27 series. They can still be seen about anywhere on the Belgian network. If you stay in Brussels Midi during the rush hours you are certain to see many of them.

EuroRail

I'm back from my short trip to Brussels - thanks to replies from @MarcVD and @boiledbeans2 , really helpful.

I didn't get to Antwerp in the end - the weather forecast for the afternoon I'd planned to go was dire and I was very happy to be sitting inside drinking a beer at one point. It was so bad that the patron invited people sheltering outside to come inside!

Anyway, back to railway stuff. Here's a bit of feedback on what I found. Do note that I was doing other things than looking at trams and trains, although that was quite an important part. A thoroughly enjoyable short trip!!

SNCB classes 21 & 27
As predicted, easy to see (from higher numbered platforms) at Midi. And quite a few of them, mixed with more modern locos. Several heavily graffitied. Noticed at one point a photographer who appeared to be photographing the "tagged" trains!

PCC trams - weekend working
Apart from routes 39 & 44, I noticed a considerable reduction (as I did on a previous visit in 2018) or absence of PCC trams at the weekend on their normal routes.

PCC routes
39 & 44 - I saw on a Sunday. Entirely PCC short trams. Whilst at Chien Vert, I also spotted a tourist tram (7601) and a vintage tram. This alerted me to the proximity of the Tram Museum. A delightful and friendly place and I also had a ride out on a vintage tram which went on the 44 route. Great fun and quite rural in parts!
51 - on the Saturday, was operated roughly 50 / 50 PCC and more modern trams.
81 - I didn't see any PCC trams in operation on this route at the weekend. There could have been, but if so, there weren't many!
97 - I seem to recall reading that there are engineering works on this route. On Saturday, I saw two 97s, one PCC, the other more modern. On the Monday (apart from the chaos at Midi in the morning with #81 trams terminating there and using the other tracks - Av. Fonsny - to load passengers) I also noticed more than one shorter PCC tram passing through Midi, some saying out of service. On checking one of the photos, it had 97 (bar through the number) and Wiels as the destination.