• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train conductor application

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcwellyboot

Hi All,

I applied for a position as on-board conductor just over two weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone knew roughly how long the process takes? If I'm lucky enough to get through the application stage how many stages are there and what's involved? I believe there's the medical and a maths test?

Kind regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class323201

It really depends on which TOC you have applied for but generally speaking once you have submitted your application form, if your application progresses further you will be asked to attend for testing which involves SCATT or Group Bourdon (industry standard concentration tests), verbal communication testing, ticket checking and basic arithmetic. Their may also be a group exercise or some different variations of verbal communication testing depending on the TOC.
after a few days you should gear if you have passed the testing and then you will be invited for an interview. If that goes well you will be sent for a medical if that is all ok you'll get a job offer.

the whole process can take anywhere from 3-6 months (my experience). Bear in mind hundreds of people apply for these vacancies which the HR teams need to work through so don't expect to hear back right away.
good luck!!

mcwellyboot

Thats brilliant, thanks for the info. I can imagine it being a highly sought after position so must be a bit of a hard slog for the guys going through the applications.

Mqasim.89

Morning All.
I got invetation for assessment I’ve attched the message below can anyone help me advise me how to prepar myself for it all help will be great full..thanks in advance..
The Assessment Day will be made up of the following:

· Structured Interview – the interview will be competency based and you will be asked to describe examples of when you have demonstrated certain behaviours in the past. The attached Interview Guide will help you to prepare.

· Group Exercise –In order to prepare for the group exercise we would like you to carry out some research prior to the Assessment Day. We would like you to visit a Northern station or to travel on a Northern train. Try and find out as much as you can about the service we provide to our customers, and what their experience of travelling with Northern might be like. Consider the experience as a whole, from entering the station and buying a ticket to arriving at their destination.

You can use all of the resources available to you. This might include speaking to some of our team members, looking at some of our posters, looking in detail at the station environment or our information screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.