• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delay bingo

enginedin

Can anyone beat this number of reasons in 1 set of departures at 1 station?!

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 21.16.22.png

Image shows a screenshot from https://www.traintimes.org.uk at CARLISLE with a variety of delays, including trains delayed by "a late running train in front of this one", "police dealing with an incident", "train crew being delayed", "a fault on a train in front of this one" and "a points failure"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Going to try to find 25 cancellation/delay messages and make an actual bingo card (the 5 by 5 version) for it (Feel free to offer suggestions)

A late running train in frontFloodingTrespass/"Emergency Services Dealing With an incident"planned train being replaced with a slower trainA problem with the track
Planning ErrorFault/A problem with the trainVehicle hit a bridgeDelay not investigatedPoints Failure
Train CrewLevel Crossing Failure(Free Space)Strong WindsLate arrival of an inbound service
A problem with the electrified line/3rd railLineside VegetationProblem at the depotFault on a train in front of this oneDelayed due to a unit swap
An unknown reason or An excluded reasonDisorderproblem with the on-board safety systemsOverrunning engineering worksAnimals on the line

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Going to try to find 25 cancellation/delay messages and make an actual bingo card (the 5 by 5 version) for it (Feel free to offer suggestions)

A late running train in frontFloodingTrespass/"Emergency Services Dealing With an incident"planned train being replaced with a slower trainA problem with the track
Planning ErrorFault/A problem with the trainVehicle hit a bridgeDelay not investigatedPoints Failure
Train CrewLevel Crossing Failure(Free Space)Strong WindsLate arrival of an inbound service
A problem with the electrified line/3rd railLineside VegetationProblem at the depotFault on a train in front of this one
An unknown reason or An excluded reasonDisorderproblem with the on-board safety systemsOverrunning engineering worksProblem With Utility Supplies

That unfilled space : Delayed due to a unit swap

TC7

A problem with the electrified line/3rd railLineside VegetationProblem at the depotFault on a train in front of this one
An unknown reason or An excluded reasonDisorderproblem with the on-board safety systemsOverrunning engineering worksProblem With Utility Supplies
Most unusual one I ever got was 'Icicles in a Tunnel'

blue87

A rare one recently, can't remember the exact wording but something like due to an incident at Birmingham Airport when the Brum - Birmingham International line was shut when a flight got turned back due to a suspicious package.

You can't play delay bingo without sheep / cows / swans / geese on the line... :lol:
Or " A Bovine Incursion onto the Railway" as I heard it once described by an XC Train Manager on a Voyager that I was on! And I saw them in the opposite 4 foot from the Train as we crawled past!

dk1

Veteran Member
Or " A Bovine Incursion onto the Railway" as I heard it once described by an XC Train Manager on a Voyager that I was on! And I saw them in the opposite 4 foot from the Train as we crawled past!
Yes one of our control managers would always message it out as a Bovine or Equine incursion that was then announced by the conductors and added to information screens.

geoffk

Established Member
Yes one of our control managers would always message it out as a Bovine or Equine incursion that was then announced by the conductors and added to information screens.
ovine or porcine even.

dk1

Veteran Member
ovine or porcine even.

Yes Porcine was the other one often used. Especially around Wickham Market. Dont recall Ovine being used but being sheep it must’ve been. Where more cautions for them back then until the rule book changed regarding numbers.

jamiearmley

Some other real life examples:

- Nesting goose on the roof of a train blocking the platform ahead

- burning bush wrapped around the pantograph

- this train has run out of fuel

- the train in front of this one has divided unexpectedly

- exploding pigeon on the overhead wires causing an interruption to the electricity supply

- swan in the 4 foot

- protesters occupying the tracks

And there's loads more.... It's a rich and varied tapestry

BAFRA77

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Take your pick from Darwin’s approved list: https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/Darwin:Late_Running_reason_codes_and_text

I always think that “delayed to a late running train in front of this” & “train crew being delayed” should go to the root reason but information controllers are not delay attributors!
Threw together a bit of python code that uses that whole list (which I just saved as an excel file), grabs 25 random reasons (it can grab the same one twice but it's probably not too likely) and then outputs it as a new file.
Not the best code, given I cobbled it together in about 5 minutes but it mostly works.
import pandas
from random import randint
import csv

#change the name of the location to wherever you stored it
excel_data_df = pandas.read_excel('D:\My stuff\darwin error list.xlsx', sheet_name='Sheet1')

#grabs all the reasons and puts them in a list
problems=excel_data_df['Reason Text'].tolist()

reasons=[[],[],[],[],[]]
for x in range(0,5):
for y in range(0,5):
reasons[x].append(problems[randint(1,505)])

print(reasons)

with open('results.csv', 'w') as o:
writer = csv.writer(o, delimiter=',')
writer.writerows(reasons)
Here's the first result:
This train has been delayed by signalling staff being unavailableThis train has been delayed by a speed restriction because of fog earlier on this train's journeyThis train has been delayed by a shortage of train driversThis train has been delayed by a rail buckling in the heatThis train has been delayed by a road vehicle damaging track at a level crossing
This train has been delayed by a collision at a level crossing yesterdayThis train has been delayed by theft of overhead line electrification equipmentThis train has been delayed by failure of the electricity supply earlier on this train's journeyThis train has been delayed by over-running engineering worksThis train has been delayed by a fault with the on train signalling system
This train has been delayed by a road accident at a level crossing yesterdayThis train has been delayed by the fire alarm sounding in the signalling centreThis train has been delayed by safety checks having been made earlierThis train has been delayed by attempted theft of third rail electrification equipmentThis train has been delayed by the fire alarm sounding in the signalling centre earlier today
This train has been delayed by a road vehicle blocking the railway earlier todayThis train has been delayed by a train being involved in an accidentThis train has been delayed by a train's automatic braking system being activated earlier todayThis train has been delayed by signalling staff being unavailableThis train has been delayed by the communication alarm being activated on a train
This train has been delayed by a train not stopping in the correct position at a station earlier in its journeyThis train has been delayed by issues with communication systemsThis train has been delayed by snow earlierThis train has been delayed by a road vehicle damaging track at a level crossing yesterdayThis train has been delayed by attempted theft of signalling cables earlier today
I have a feeling it'd be very difficult to get a bingo of this unless you played it over a lifetime.
I have also added Animals on the Line to the original set, because that's definitely a possible one.

Skiddaw

I was once delayed at Preston due to incoming TPE service having apparently been hit by a duck (which broke the driver's window). It was the icing on the cake following an interminable journey back from Euston to Penrith. If the duck hadn't presumably already been deceased I'd have likely wrung its neck.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I think the best delay was a peacock stuck in a SouthEastern trains shoe gear. Resulted in the Delay Attribution Board having to rule on it for who took the delay minutes

I was once delayed at Preston due to incoming TPE service having apparently been hit by a duck (which broke the driver's window). It was the icing on the cake following an interminable journey back from Euston to Penrith. If the duck hadn't presumably already been deceased I'd have likely wrung its neck.
I bet the TPE pax had Duck a l'Orange afterwards

Statto

Established Member
How about snow & wrong type of snow, the wrong type of snow was an actual excuse for delays & cancellations during the infamous winter of 91.

py_megapixel

Established Member

A problem with the electrified line/3rd railLineside VegetationProblem at the depotFault on a train in front of this oneDelayed due to a unit swap
An unknown reason or An excluded reasonDisorderproblem with the on-board safety systemsOverrunning engineering worksAnimals on the line
There is a list of all the standard reasons that can appear in Darwin (that being the system that provides data for displays and auto announcements in stations):
https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/Darwin:Late_Running_reason_codes_and_text

Some of them are wonderfully specific, such as "663 - Supermarket trolley on the track earlier on the train's journey"

Of course, the majority of them will be used relatively rarely, and I bet there are a few that have never been used at all...

Fermiboson

A close contender is Doncaster, 29/10/23. (Unfortunately I only have a photo of one of the two boards)

The unphotographed page contains delights such as an XC train delayed for 117 minutes, and a classic Northern short notice timetable change.
1714894650255.jpeg

MotCO

Established Member
Badger ate a junction box at New Malden
That one definitely would have delayed Reginald, who boarded at Norbiton. (Unless he went the long way round). I doubt even Reginald would have thought of that one (unless I'm missing the point completely :'( )