• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delayed due to driver inhaling passenger's weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan2019

Which again will be because they are used to getting away with it.

TOCs and BTP, who ultimately are their clients, need to be much more aggressive in following up incidents, downloading CCTV, building intelligence on where it is happening and making sure these scumbags are punished.

If they don't it will only get worse and worse.

Definitely agree with you on all points there. In a way, it's just like the olden days where CCTV wasn't even thought of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
I don't smoke weed but I don't mind the smell. I work in the vehicle hire industry and have picked up quite a few cars from parts of South Wales and the South West where the vehicle has been really thick with the smell of it. I remember parking one up in south Wales for a quick trip to a shop but I left the window open to air the vehicle and it attracted the attention of a passing policeman. I proved to him that I had picked up the vehicle, showed him the address from where I had picked it up. Once all was sorted out he let me continue back to the depot but the car was still heavy with it even though I had the windows open the rest of the way back to the depot.

Dave

tpjm

Just going back to the incident in question, the Driver declared themselves unfit to continue because they were nauseous from the smell of the cannabis. Whilst I’m sure having an incident “because of the fumes” would have been a consideration, it’s more likely the Driver could have had an incident from a reaction to the smell. Absolutely the right decision to stop and request relief.

ic31420

I really dislike the smell of cigarette smoke, weed though unpleasant isn't as bad in my subjective view. Though it is hugely distinctive.

Oddly those who smoke weed without exception love the smell of it. Oddly if as much time and efforts had gone into making it smell less that went into increasing the THC content they'd a) get noticed a lot less b) get caught growing it a lot less and c) cause a lot less grief.

Rather like regular smokers I suspect smokers of the crap don't realise how much it clings to them and just how strong it actually smells.
I can smell a smoker (cigs or weed) in the queue at Aldi or at the next table in a pub etc.

There are quite a lot of issues at the moment in flats or houses where the neighbour smokes weed and it can be smelt in the neighbouring houses as it wafts though walls via joists etc.
As smoking of cigs becomes less socially acceptable you get the odd cig smoke complaint too.

I was involved in a complaint where a non smoking health conscious chap lived in an upstairs flat above a chain smoking clampit (both weed and cigs) who never opened his windows or doors. The poor lads flat had a visible haze to it and stank. The social landlord heard weed and said that's a police issue, the police said we're not raiding his flat for a tenner bag that he may have smoked anyway and the lad worried (not unreasonably) about passive smoking. Environmental health initially said not a job for us, until it was pointed out that they would act of he was burning tyres or drying turds on the radiators so why was this smell any different and the MP was involved. It was resolved by moving that young lad on the basis the lad had raised it when he viewed the flat but was assured it was left over smell from the previous occupier and would go once decoration was done.

But I digress.

The only person who can make the call in this case is the driver. It probably wouldn't bother me but my missus who is very olefactory sensitive would probably be gyping on the floor wiping her dinner off the dsd pedal.

Last edited:

GoneSouth

The smell and the reaction to it is a different thing to actually getting intoxicated. Clinical trials show that to get a contact high or to absorb enough THC to fail a drug test you would have to share an unventilated space with people smoking strong cannabis for about an hour.

But if the smell is making you feel unwell, then stopping is the right thing.
About an hour is entirely possible though on many journeys, and I’d say the cab is a fairly confined space. Time for zero tolerance on this filth

Status
Not open for further replies.