• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train delays into Milton Kynes and missed connections to Watford Junction and beyond via West London Line

infobleep

Veteran Member
I have three train tickets Penrith to Tring, Tring to Surbtion and Surbtion to Guildford.

The first two are advanced purchase tickets. The final one is a walk up single purchased via TrainSplit or this forum. I forget which I use both.

I was on the 18:08, which is currently over 46 minutes late.

I asked Avanti West Coast what I might do, on X, formerly Twitter. They said speak to station staff at Milton Kynes.

Although the train managers have talked about disruption, delay repay and apologised, I don't know where they are on the train.

Would I be best still going via Watford Junction and the West London Line or continuing through central London?

If I do continue via the West London Line, the next train from Milton Kynes to connect at Watford Junction doesn't stop at Tring, which i split my tickets. The one that does, won't connect. The previous hour this wasn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Although the train managers have talked about disruption, delay repay and apologised, I don't know where they are on the train.
Generally, they'll be in Coach C in a small compartment next to the shop.

Getting them to endorse your tickets might help any issues you encounter.

Would I be best still going via Watford Junction and the West London Line or continuing through central London?
TrainSplit suggests either an itinerary via Watford or via Euston being the best option.

If you're comfy on your train, I'd just head to Euston and take the Victoria Line to Vauxhall, then take the next train to Guildford that stops at Surbiton, provided you're past the time on your ticket, provided your ticket has the "+" to mark a cross-London transfer on it.

If your ticket is via Kensington Olympia, it won't have this and you'd have to pay for the Tube separately and might face issues on your journey, especially if you don't get the ticket(s) endorsed. I'd recommend the Watford change then.

1716409233552.png1716409253202.png

Neither of these journeys have trains which stop at Tring, though, which could be an issue. I'd hope anyone checking tickets (rare on WMT, honestly) would use discretion in this case. Yet another reason for trying to get your tickets endorsed! :D

infobleep

Veteran Member
Update. Now spoken to train manager. Will go through central London. Use my Oyster and claim it back.

They said to claim from West Midlands but I know differently so will claim from Avanti.

Once I get to London Waterloo I will get on a train that stops at Surbtion and then continue my journey.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Generally, they'll be in Coach C in a small compartment next to the shop.

Getting them to endorse your tickets might help any issues you encounter.

TrainSplit suggests either an itinerary via Watford or via Euston being the best option.

If you're comfy on your train, I'd just head to Euston and take the Victoria Line to Vauxhall, then take the next train to Guildford that stops at Surbiton, provided you're past the time on your ticket, provided your ticket has the "+" to mark a cross-London transfer on it.

If your ticket is via Kensington Olympia, it won't have this and you'd have to pay for the Tube separately and might face issues on your journey, especially if you don't get the ticket(s) endorsed. I'd recommend the Watford change then.

View attachment 158584View attachment 158585

Neither of these journeys have trains which stop at Tring, though, which could be an issue. I'd hope anyone checking tickets (rare on WMT, honestly) would use discretion in this case. Yet another reason for trying to get your tickets endorsed! :D
Thanks for your help. Train manager didn't endorsed my tickets and besides they are e-tickets in a Google Wallet.

However, I can prove there is disruption so in happy to follow their advice.

Leisurefirst

As a side point, I have wondered before...
When you have e-tickets how can you get them "endorsed" (or the e-quivelent) when such an thing happens?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Eh? What have West Midlands Trains got to do with you being delayed on a late running Avanti train service?
Indeed but I wasn't going to discuss it further as it wouldn't achieve anything there.

As a side point, I have wondered before...
When you have e-tickets how can you get them "endorsed" (or the e-quivelent) when such an thing happens?
I am only wondering this now it's been mentioned by @MrJeeves, who mentioned endorsement.

Last edited:

MrJeeves

Established Member
Bletchleyite beat me to it!

Not sure exactly if the notes get propagated to those not using the same E-Ticket scanning solution as the person who adds the endorsement, though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tickets are rarely endorsed; I've never had it (positively) written on the ticket. I've been given separate notes, though.

If you are quick, you might make the 2230 from WAT; explain and ask the Guard if you can use that.

This would avoid a delay, meaning Avanti could just refund the cross-London part.

A U12-CLJ SDS fare would validate you across London and through the gateline at Waterloo, for you to resume validity at CLJ, without a delay of tapping out.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Tickets are rarely endorsed; I've never had it (positively) written on the ticket. I've been given separate notes, though.

If you are quick, you might make the 2230 from WAT; explain and ask the Guard if you can use that.

This would avoid a delay, meaning Avanti could just refund the cross-London part.
Thanks

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does that work if the OP has stayed on the Avanti train beyond Milton Keynes (and now on its approach into London Euston)?
Well, I don't know how quick they are, or how familiar they are with the route, but if it was me, yes (I see the train arrived at 2210).

The trick would be to be at as close to the optimum doors as possible, having pre-bought the ticket online, go straight to a TVM, collect the ticket, go straight to the Northern line and I believe exit from around the 3rd carriage. I've done King's Cross to Waterloo in less, with a change at Oxford Circus, but that is tight.

I'd say for me it would be easy, except the faff of having to get a ticket could mean I may miss it. The other alternative would be to use PAYG and ask for TfL to complete the journey. Or just accept a further delay, get a sightly later train to CLJ, tap out there and resume on paper from CLJ to GLD.

No really easy and obvious solution, to be honest; it depends on what your priorities are.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Top marks to the man at thr Euston underground barrier who let me through when I explained.

Trespass incident on the lines to Basingstoke so blanket ticket acceptance. No need to ask the guard.

Might even save Avanti West Coast some money.

They already owe me 50% to Manchester due to points issue leading to one cancelled train and then the next one was delayed. That was on Monday.

No lack of staff related issues though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Excellent; similar at WAT, I hope?

Hopefully you made the 2230, which I see is on platform 17.

(The quickest way from the Underground is, I believe, to use the underpass to reach the platforms... but is that entrance open this late? Also, what signage do you follow to gain direct access to the underpass, rather than the concourse?)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well, I don't know how quick they are, or how familiar they are with the route, but if it was me, yes (I see the train arrived at 2210).

The trick would be to be at as close to the optimum doors as possible, having pre-bought the ticket online, go straight to a TVM, collect the ticket, go straight to the Northern line and I believe exit from around the 3rd carriage. I've done King's Cross to Waterloo in less, with a change at Oxford Circus, but that is tight.

I'd say for me it would be easy, except the faff of having to get a ticket could mean I may miss it. The other alternative would be to use PAYG and ask for TfL to complete the journey. Or just accept a further delay, get a sightly later train to CLJ, tap out there and resume on paper from CLJ to GLD.

No really easy and obvious solution, to be honest; it depends on what your priorities are.
I use to commute regularly via Euston so know the quick routes. This time thought I waited to speak to staff.

Excellent; similar at WAT, I hope?

Hopefully you made the 2230, which I see is on platform 17.

(The quickest way from the Underground is, I believe, to use the underpass to reach the platforms... but is that entrance open this late? Also, what signage do you follow to gain direct access to the underpass, rather than the concourse?)
These days I believe it is but I shall find out. There is South Western Railway ticket acceptance on the tube so I am expecting no issues.

I won't make the train though unless it is late. I valued not having to claim for additional tickets if at all possible so didn't rush across.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK you missed it, so you are now going to be on the 2300, arriving 2339, which I believe is 5 mins later than the original itinerary?

If you'd made the 2230 you would have been over half an hour early!

infobleep

Veteran Member
OK you missed it, so you are now going to be on the 2300, arriving 2339, which I believe is 5 mins later than the original itinerary?

If you'd made the 2230 you would have been over half an hour early!
Thanks. National Rail Enquiries are not currently showing departures from Waterloo, so I couldn't be sure the train had left or they were just showing trains known to be departing.

I got on an Exeter train, which stops at Woking. I will change there.

Just realised I could have changed at Clapham Junction instead of Woking but realised too late.

For benefit of others, the subway at Waterloo between platforms was open.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now at Woking and all is well, apart from the fact I got little work done on my trains. I will do some at home.

I got lucky on my train from Penrith. Someone more elderly was using two seats so I kindly ask if one was free. Of course, I ended up talking to them moat of the time. Still, I wouldn't t have got any work done standing up. I could have sat in first class eventually, as that was declassified but I had a large rucksack and two other bags so didn't want to move and it seemed rude to leave the people suddenly to go elsewhere.

I also ensured the more elderly person got their assistance at Euston by informing the guard. They should have been on a train two hours earlier than they were, not withstanding the delay.

Whilst they had arranged assistance and they had every faith in it, I didn't trust the system. Read horror stories on here from time to time.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@infobleep. What time did you eventually get back to Guildford last night? And how did that compare with your original itinerary?

infobleep

Veteran Member
@infobleep. What time did you eventually get back to Guildford last night? And how did that compare with your original itinerary?
I got in at 23:41¾. My original time should have been 23:34.

So I can't complain about being too late. I had of course chosen a slower route originally, as the time didn't bother me and there wasn't too much hanging around at stations.