• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Derailment in Leicester - Information Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezah1984

Hi All,

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but a work colegue said that a train derailed in Leicester (centre of map of location), and the wagons hit the bridge. I am unable to find this anywhere online, so I wanted to ask you guys.

He lived at his house near the park and ride entrance between 1997 (P&R opened) and 2006, so it happend somewhere between those dates.

Map:
http://goo.gl/maps/GomOX

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

38Cto15E

The map is of the Knighton-Kirby Muxloe section of the Leicester to Burton line, I cannot remember an incident, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't one. :)

There was one sad incident a couple of hundred yards away in steam days, a fireman climbed into the back of the tender to drag some coal forward, he wasn't paying attention to the location of the train and he sadly collided with an overbridge.

Coops54

I remember it very well! I was the on-call Track Engineer for RailTrack and it was a Freight train travelling towards Leicester at Braunstone. One of the wagons hit the bridge so hard its' buffer was embedded in the brickwork. There was also another one about a mile further towards Leicester a year later, but that did not strike a bridge. I was with RailTrack up to August 1998, so it happened before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.