• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver and Crohns Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordfiesta

Hello I just would like some advice if anyone is a Train Driver and has Crohns Disease.

I want to apply to be a train driver and have Crohns Disease, it effects people bowels in different ways and some people need to use the toilet at very short notice. Luckily for me I don't need to use the toilet urgently and it's under control and has been for 2 years with the help of medicine (azathioprine) and have no problems in my current job as a HGV driver.

I've read RSSB fitness guide and there is nothing in there about it.

If anybody has any feedback it will be very grateful before I try to apply.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
My other half is a train driver, and she has Crohn's disease. She had major surgery twice last year and now has an ileostomy. She was diagnosed in 2013 (after starting as a driver) and did suffer for a while with her old employer with sickness, but she has recently moved to a new TOC and is doing much better. She was up front about it in her interview, and explained how it affected her, and the managers were quite happy to take her on. She passed her medical without any difficulty, and hasn't had any issues since starting.

Hope this puts your mind at ease a tad!

fordfiesta

Thanks Mintona for the reply. It's always a worry when you have a condition like Crohn's and how future employers will react to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.