• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver online prep courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Hi all

I came across the traindriver.org website earlier and it promotes (probably runs) the ‘how2become’ courses which prep you for the train driver interview process.

What are people’s thoughts on this website and its courses? Obviously I’m sceptical. Are these courses any more useful than the interview prep literature that the TOCs send you or not particularly?

I’m hoping to get onto the railway via a Host or Guard role in the next few months with the aim of applying for trainee driver roles internally as they arise. Another question I have is would I learn more in these roles, e.g. being around people in the industry and picking up bits and pieces of knowledge as I go - than I would by doing one of these courses or not necessarily?

Lots of questions I know but I’d really appreciate it if someone could shed a bit of light for me!

Best wishes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4F89

Not worth the money, as everything you need is here or given to you by the TOC/FOC prior to testing. Some people have found it useful, but I wouldnt advise paying for something that you can get for free.

richfoz84

I’ve used his videos on YouTube for pre interview or assessment prep but wouldn’t pay for it as everything you need is on this forum

DA1

Don’t bother with the course. There is no better experience than life/work experience. Get your foot into the railway and build a solid foundation of knowledge, particularly in a safety critical role if you can. A guard/host would be a great role to get into to start your journey.

Anon87

Not worth the money, as everything you need is here or given to you by the TOC/FOC prior to testing. Some people have found it useful, but I wouldnt advise paying for something that you can get for free.
I’ve used his videos on YouTube for pre interview or assessment prep but wouldn’t pay for it as everything you need is on this forum
Don’t bother with the course. There is no better experience than life/work experience. Get your foot into the railway and build a solid foundation of knowledge, particularly in a safety critical role if you can. A guard/host would be a great role to get into to start your journey.

Cheers chaps. Are you all qualified drivers? I take it that this is the general consensus across the board?

DA1

Cheers chaps. Are you all qualified drivers? I take it that this is the general consensus across the board?

I’m a shunter driver at the moment but I’m awaiting a start date to be a trainee driver.
I think most would agree. Whilst it might give you some assistance as to learning the process the same info can be accessed freely on this forum.

4F89

Mainline freight driver, only ever used what was sent to me. Didnt even use this forum, passed everything first attempt.

Anon87

I’m a shunter driver at the moment but I’m awaiting a start date to be a trainee driver.
I think most would agree. Whilst it might give you some assistance as to learning the process the same info can be accessed freely on this forum.
Mainline freight driver, only ever used what was sent to me. Didnt even use this forum, passed everything first attempt.

Fair play to you both.

Can I ask how old you both are? I’m 32 and it might even sound really daft but I’ve often wondered if it’s too late for the career change or to get the opportunities. I’ve done logistics management basically since I was 18 so it’s all I know!

DA1

Fair play to you both.

Can I ask how old you both are? I’m 32 and it might even sound really daft but I’ve often wondered if it’s too late for the career change or to get the opportunities. I’ve done logistics management basically since I was 18 so it’s all I know!

23. Never too late for a career change unless it’s not financially possible. I’ve seen some on here starting as a trainee in their late 50s.

Anon87

37, been out and about 8 months
23. Never too late for a career change unless it’s not financially possible. I’ve seen some on here starting as a trainee in their late 50s.

Luckily it’s financially possible for me. It’s encouraging that there are trainees in their 50s. It does make sense considering our generation probably won’t be retiring until we’re 70! That’s the best part of 40 years service for me.

Which TOC/FOC are you guys with?

4F89

I'll not be saying specifically, but they have had a big recruitment drive over the last 2 years

Anon87

I'll not be saying specifically, but they have had a big recruitment drive over the last 2 years

Well in terms of freight I’ve got my eye on Colas, GBRF, Freightliner and DB Cargo and set up alerts where possible!

richfoz84

I’m in the talent pool awaiting a start date. I’m 35, done all sorts of jobs, car sales, snowboard instructor, lifeguard, swim teacher & police Control room. I have a young family but I have saved up enough to make the switch financially do able. I’m sure I’ll be giving this career a solid 30 years!
If you want it, make it happen!

Anon87

I’m in the talent pool awaiting a start date. I’m 35, done all sorts of jobs, car sales, snowboard instructor, lifeguard, swim teacher & police Control room. I have a young family but I have saved up enough to make the switch financially do able. I’m sure I’ll be giving this career a solid 30 years!
If you want it, make it happen!

Thank you mate - good luck with the training!

DRS66421

I’m also trying to get my foot in the door. It’s a daily battle for me. I’m in my late teens. Trying to get sponsored to get my Sentinel PTS. Hopefully I will be volunteering at a heritage railway when things get back to some sort of normality.
I’m not sure if living in Scotland is part of the problem for me getting my foot in the door?
What would be your best advice for passing the psychometric tests?
Would be a dream come true to become Groundstaff, a Shunter and eventual Driver.
Many thanks.

Stigy

Established Member
Fair play to you both.

32 is no age at all. A lot of trainees start in their 40s or even 50s. I’m 37 and have been training just under a year.

What I would add to this thread is that where I personally didn’t find it worth the money I paid for it (and I only got the book!) there’s invaluable interview advice which is good for any job in any industry. I didn’t find it particularly useful purely because I’ve been an interviewer and an interviewee so naturally I gained experiences over the years anyway. I also found the book somewhat outdated.

Another thing to note (which you will read everywhere on this forum :D), is that it takes time and effort to get a job on the railway, as it’s generally a captive audience. But if you want it bad enough, it will happen sooner or later. Expect a few knockbacks. Good luck!

Anon87

32 is no age at all. A lot of trainees start in their 40s or even 50s. I’m 37 and have been training just under a year.

What I would add to this thread is that where I personally didn’t find it worth the money I paid for it (and I only got the book!) there’s invaluable interview advice which is good for any job in any industry. I didn’t find it particularly useful purely because I’ve been an interviewer and an interviewee so naturally I gained experiences over the years anyway. I also found the book somewhat outdated.

Another thing to note (which you will read everywhere on this forum :D), is that it takes time and effort to get a job on the railway, as it’s generally a captive audience. But if you want it bad enough, it will happen sooner or later. Expect a few knockbacks. Good luck!

Great advice Stigy.

I’ve also been on both sides of the interview table and I’d consider myself quite experienced on that front. Would you say it’s not worth my time and hassle with the course in that case and perhaps just stick to the info on this forum combined with the prep literature sent by TOCs.

Completely understand that my goal of being a Driver will take years as opposed to months, therefore I’m prepared to get my foot in as a TM/Guard, even a Host, to make the most of the time gaining industry knowledge.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Great advice Stigy.

I’ve also been on both sides of the interview table and I’d consider myself quite experienced on that front. Would you say it’s not worth my time and hassle with the course in that case and perhaps just stick to the info on this forum combined with the prep literature sent by TOCs.

Completely understand that my goal of being a Driver will take years as opposed to months, therefore I’m prepared to get my foot in as a TM/Guard, even a host, to make the most of the time gaining industry knowledge.
I can’t comment on the quality of the course, as I’ve only ever had the book, but what I will say is there’s so much info here with some very knowledgeable folk so there is no need to spend any money at all. All psychometric assessments will have practice material with them, and there’s other free practice samples available (the Group Bourden tool for example which can be found here).

Anon87

I can’t comment on the quality of the course, as I’ve only ever had the book, but what I will say is there’s so much info here with some very knowledgeable folk so there is no need to spend any money at all. All psychometric assessments will have practice material with them, and there’s other free practice samples available (the Group Bourden tool for example which can be found here).
Thank you, much appreciated!

Good luck with the rest of the training. Do you have a rail background or are you fresh into the industry?

Joliver

Fair play to you both.

I was 37 when I got accepted late 2018. Lots of trainees at my TOC have been late 40's and into their 50's. The older you are certainly isn't a disadvantage. In fact, it could be seen as an advantage in some ways. More life experience, careers in other sectors, more transferable skills etc etc.

Good luck.

DRS66421

I'm only in my late teens and I have experienced a few knock backs. I’m continuing to battle on with trying to get my foot in the door.

Stigy

Established Member
Thank you, much appreciated!

Good luck with the rest of the training. Do you have a rail background or are you fresh into the industry?
Thanks, I had a railway background of about 12/13 years prior to becoming a trainee driver. It wasn’t operational experience really though and the most I had in that respect was PTS (Personal Track Safety).

Anon87

I'm only in my late teens and I have experienced a few knock backs. I’m continuing to battle on with trying to get my foot in the door.

Use the knock backs to refine yourself mate and I’m sure it will drop for you eventually!

Anon87

I was 37 when I got accepted late 2018. Lots of trainees at my TOC have been late 40's and into their 50's. The older you are certainly isn't a disadvantage. In fact, it could be seen as an advantage in some ways. More life experience, careers in other sectors, more transferable skills etc etc.

Good luck.
Another great reply. Thanks mate

RBSN

It’s gimmicky and a waste of your time and money buddy.

RBSN

Thanks mate! Talking from personal experience?

Im a driver and you’ll gain much more of an understanding and experience working in a different role than you ever would with this course

save your money

Anon87

Im a driver and you’ll gain much more of an understanding and experience working in a different role than you ever would with this course

save your money

Really appreciate that. That’s the plan really, I’m going to get myself in the door as a TM/Guard or even a Host and go from there!

Status
Not open for further replies.