• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver OPC assessments "2 chances rule"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex95

Hi all,

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere and would appreciate some help.

Over the past few years I have applied for 2 trainee driver roles with different TOC's. Both times I got through to the OPC tests, and accepted both appointments to sit the tests. After some time passed, however, both times I couldn't attend the tests on the specified dates. I told them well in advance that I wasn't coming and to please withdraw my application.

My question is: does not attending these tests now count as a "failure" ... and are my 2 chances up?

Technically both times I did agree to go, got details of the test centre etc. I am wondering if I would've been marked as a failure and should now give up on the chances of ever becoming a train driver having not ever attempted any assessments.

Thanks very much to anyone knows.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott little

Hi all,

I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere and would appreciate some help.

Over the past few years I have applied for 2 trainee driver roles with different TOC's. Both times I got through to the OPC tests, and accepted both appointments to sit the tests. After some time passed, however, both times I couldn't attend the tests on the specified dates. I told them well in advance that I wasn't coming and to please withdraw my application.

My question is: does not attending these tests now count as a "failure" ... and are my 2 chances up?

Technically both times I did agree to go, got details of the test centre etc. I am wondering if I would've been marked as a failure and should now give up on the chances of ever becoming a train driver having not ever attempted any assessments.

Thanks very much to anyone knows.
best to ask opc themselves as they can give u a definitive answer. email:- [email protected]

CreamNCookies

I'm fairly certain that if you physically didn't sit the tests you have not used a life.

I remember at my tests a member of the assessment team warned someone that if they failed a test they would lose their lives and then in turn their standard psychometric pass.

But with anything, as said above best to go to the actual source.

Alex95

Thanks very much everyone for the responses :) I won't give up hope yet, then!

Ladder23

Established Member
If a failure occurres at the OPC on second stage, when it comes to re applying will you bypass the previously passed assessments for any TOC or just the one you have passed with

L401CJF

Established Member
If a failure occurres at the OPC on second stage, when it comes to re applying will you bypass the previously passed assessments for any TOC or just the one you have passed with
Varies TOC by TOC, plenty will accept any tests passed to their standard and just ask you to resit any you failed/didn't meet their enhanced etc.

It has been known though for some TOCs to make people resit all the tests regardless of pass or score.

Sand Dancer

Does the 2 chances rule apply to the online tests as well as attending the tests in person? Also does anyone know if you have passed tests with 1 operator (Nexus) and then sit them again with another (Avanti) and then fail, does that invalidate the ones that were passed?

Stigy

Established Member
Does the 2 chances rule apply to the online tests as well as attending the tests in person? Also does anyone know if you have passed tests with 1 operator (Nexus) and then sit them again with another (Avanti) and then fail, does that invalidate the ones that were passed?
For the VSE (Visual Search Exercise), some say these count, but I’ve never seen anything definitive. Seems strange they would be since you’re doing them in your own time at home? As for the second question, yes.

Sand Dancer

For the VSE (Visual Search Exercise), some say these count, but I’ve never seen anything definitive. Seems strange they would be since you’re doing them in your own time at home? As for the second question, yes.
Thank you. I just called the OPC too who confirmed the same. Just trying to weigh up the options now to be honest. Bit worried!

Sand Dancer

Could you clarify what the OPC said regarding online tests counting towards attempts?
The woman I spoke to said they don't and its the assessment centre that does. BUT someone else I know called with the exact same question and was told the opposite thing. I'm now completely confused. Everyone says something different. Feels like its not a transparent process at all

CreamNCookies

Just note that when you do the assessments in person, you must show proof of NI number. Online you dont have to show the proof.

Hopefully that helps ease your mind that online tests don't count towards your lives.

Stigy

Established Member
The woman I spoke to said they don't and its the assessment centre that does. BUT someone else I know called with the exact same question and was told the opposite thing. I'm now completely confused. Everyone says something different. Feels like its not a transparent process at all
This is the issue; trying to get consistent information out of the OPC is nye on impossible. I’m of the view that it shouldn’t count towards one of your “lives” because it’s an assessment which is done at home and thus isn’t tested under the same conditions. I guess that’s niether here not there really, but it does seems little unfair since you’re using a computer which isn’t theirs, relying on WiFi, which again, is your own and also anyone could sit them for you.

TootTootToot

As I understand it those operators who use enhanced standards seek you to pass the VSE and M7SJT at home before reaching the assessment centre stage.

As I understand it each operator seeks you to pass these to their own scoring parameters. So they won’t rely on your existing passes for this purpose.

Therefore it seems to me that if you have a full suite of enhanced psychometric passes (eg Paper/Pencil, Computer and MMI) and apply to another enhanced operator and fail the VSE / M7SJT (at home) it could overwrite your existing pass to a fail therefore it seems to me there is a real risk to those who have “in flight” applications with another operator which seeks enhanced results should they fail these tests at another operator.

But that’s just my understanding based on what my instructions said at the time of completing these tests.

Does anyone else agree or disagree?

CreamNCookies

You may not have to show proof, but I've had my NI number requested both as part of an application, and to be sent online OPC testing.
Oh I get that, for online things I've had to input my NI number. But what's stopping some nefarious person entering incorrect details online.

At least in person things are slightly more formal and verified in person. I've even seen people turned away for not having proof at assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.