• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train from Katakolon to Olympia

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

From what I've read on the cruise forums I'm under the impression that this no longer runs. Does anyone know for sure, also the reason if it isn't running.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris999999

Who knows with this train. I was also under the impression that it was not running so bought a return coach ticket to Olympia in the town but had about half an hour to wait. I wandered over to the station and a train arrived. Hardly anyone got on and it soon left. There was no timetable posted at the station, so unless you happened to be at the station at the right time you wouldn't know when or if the trains were running.

If I ran Greek railways I would be advertising this train online in English (and other languages) and would have big posters with the timetable at the station and in Katakolon. Passenger numbers would rocket upward. But then I don't run the railways.

21C101

Established Member
I went on it some years ago Chris, and will be returning to Katakolon next year so wanted a repeat journey, but from what I've read the tracks are now rusty :(

Here's some video I took at the time if you're interested:

Katakolon - Olympia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cefSfEX4i8

Olympia - Katakolon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9aROYlHKU

I thought this was describing an epic journey across europe but wondered why it started in Kensington until the penny dropped....

QJ

This link would suggest the train is running at the moment.

http://www.katakolon.org/katakolon-train.html

I travelled on it a couple of years ago from Olympia. Short but sweet. I also managed to travel from Patras to Korinthos via Kalamata by charter train during the time I was on holiday in the area. A fantastic experience that can still be done by private charter. I know of two organisers advertising rail trips in the area (including Olympia to Katakolon) in the next 12 months.

dutchflyer

Established Member
all the narrow gauge=Peloponnesos trains were withdrawn as 1 of the 100s of austerity measures when GR failed in the euro.

davetheguard

Established Member
all the narrow gauge=Peloponnesos trains were withdrawn as 1 of the 100s of austerity measures when GR failed in the euro.

dutch flyer please note the link shown in QJ's post above suggests that this particular line IS running again.

It has "no trains running" shown crossed out, and then "trains running again" and is shown as updated in summer 2014. So, looks like the OP will be in luck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.