• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Guard Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Andrews

Hello all, it's my first time posting here so let me know if I do anything wrong!

I've just completed an assessment day in Southampton for SWR to become a train guard, I'm currently waiting to be invited for interview. I just wondered if anybody had any sound advice for what sort of questions may be asked so I could prepare myself better as I'd love to secure this job!

I know it's a competency based interview so I'll make sure I study all the duties of a guard and give my evidence as to why I'd suit the role, as well as researching the company as a whole.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, especially from anybody who has been successful in this interview before.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CatchMeIfUCan

Congratulations for getting this far Max.

That's pretty much it to be honest, competency based answers, examples and research the company.

They may get you to role play a customer service/emergency based scenario.

Goodluck!

Max Andrews

Congratulations for getting this far Max.

That's pretty much it to be honest, competency based answers, examples and research the company.

They may get you to role play a customer service/emergency based scenario.

Goodluck!
Thanks for your response mate. I thought I had potentially covered everything just thought somebody who would have sat the interview may have some helpful tips.

KeyRail

Research the role of a Guard. Their responsibilities for safety and customer service. Good Luck.

dth

Hey Max.
You'll be interviewed by two managers usually. First of all you'll be asked some ice breaker questions like what you know about the company and what qualities you can bring to the company. Then you'll be asked the competency questions. I had two problem solving questions, two team work questions and two customer sevice questions.
I then had to find some train information out using the national rail app after I had an opportunity to ask them questions and they gave me some more information about the job.
Finally they observed me dealing with customers in the ticket office for 10 minutes.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Max Andrews

Hey Max.
You'll be interviewed by two managers usually. First of all you'll be asked some ice breaker questions like what you know about the company and what qualities you can bring to the company. Then you'll be asked the competency questions. I had two problem solving questions, two team work questions and two customer sevice questions.
I then had to find some train information out using the national rail app after I had an opportunity to ask them questions and they gave me some more information about the job.
Finally they observed me dealing with customers in the ticket office for 10 minutes.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Thanks for the information this is just what I was after!

Bourlea

They may also ask you how you will get to work if on an early shift that starts before trains start running, (Waterloo has very limited parking)

Ahmed

Hi guys

I have an assessment for guard at waterloo and was wondering if anyone can give me tips on wat to expect there..am having the assessment on Tuesday 19th june at Southampton.

Vertical

Hi guys

I have an assessment for guard at waterloo and was wondering if anyone can give me tips on wat to expect there..am having the assessment on Tuesday 19th june at Southampton.

Hi Ahmed,

Good luck with assessments, I personally read all the information that SWR give me prior to assessments and made sure I went to sleep early, dressed smart, arrived 30 mins early, 15 min brush up on information provided before switching my phone off.
Prepare yourself for a long day and listen
To everything the Recruiter tells you.

Very best of luck.

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Good luck with assessments, I personally read all the information that SWR give me prior to assessments and made sure I went to sleep early, dressed smart, arrived 30 mins early, 15 min brush up on information provided before switching my phone off.
Prepare yourself for a long day and listen
To everything the Recruiter tells you.

Very best of luck.
Thanks vertical im pleased to say i have passed all my assessments and now waiting for the invite to the interview..

Ahmed

Hello all, it's my first time posting here so let me know if I do anything wrong!

I've just completed an assessment day in Southampton for SWR to become a train guard, I'm currently waiting to be invited for interview. I just wondered if anybody had any sound advice for what sort of questions may be asked so I could prepare myself better as I'd love to secure this job!

I know it's a competency based interview so I'll make sure I study all the duties of a guard and give my evidence as to why I'd suit the role, as well as researching the company as a whole.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, especially from anybody who has been successful in this interview before.

Thanks!
Hi Max

Wondering if you got the job!

Ahmed

Brilliant news!

How many great people past with you?
We started with 8 people..2 people exited cos of missing documents from the start and 3 exited in first round of assessments..so only 3 awaiting the invite to interview.

theironroad

Established Member
We started with 8 people..2 people exited cos of missing documents from the start and 3 exited in first round of assessments..so only 3 awaiting the invite to interview.

Is that , their applications were totally binned because of the missing docs, or they get invited back another day?

RidingMullah

Hi, I would like to know more about interview process, stages and questions asked. From your experience what information can you give me to better prepare for the day. Thanks in advance.

Nicbetyy

Hi, I would like to know more about interview process, stages and questions asked. From your experience what information can you give me to better prepare for the day. Thanks in advance.
What TOC are you applying with ?

JaMa9

I have guard interview with SWR next week, would also be interested in any tips.

Hotdog

I have guard interview with SWR next week, would also be interested in any tips.

It's fairly relaxed even if the room was like an oven.

Dress business smart and be clean.

Read up on SWR if you are not familiar. Especially routes etc.

It's the usual competency based questions which they just read out from a couple of pages of paper. Name a time when you worked as a team; a time when there was conflict between coworkers; a time when you had to work under pressure/difficult situation etc

Don't act weird. Try to show some personality.

JaMa9

It's fairly relaxed even if the room was like an oven.

Dress business smart and be clean.

Read up on SWR if you are not familiar. Especially routes etc.

It's the usual competency based questions which they just read out from a couple of pages of paper. Name a time when you worked as a team; a time when there was conflict between coworkers; a time when you had to work under pressure/difficult situation etc

Don't act weird. Try to show some personality.

Brilliant, thank you. After the questions did you have to do show some customer service skills in the ticket office? I notice someone else mentioned they did.

Biddydiddiy1

I didn't , but then other people on my course had too!
If you do don't be worried about it - just be confident, courteous and cool

All the best.

Jamie Price

Hi RidingMullah, I am by no means an expert on the situation, but I have just passed my final interview with TFW for conductor, and I was given the helpful advice of researching and using some industry jargon, such as saying you will be responsible for ensuring no platform train interface incidents occur, rather than just saying you will open and close the doors, my interviewers seemed to like this, and you will prepare and dispose of trains rather than just checking the train. Make sure you're prepared to expand on that if they ask what you know about PTI, as I dont think they expected anyone to be aware of it at interview, but they seemed impressed by it, and I got through to have a conditional offer pending medicals, background checks etc which is where I'm at right now. So as I say I'm by no means an expert, but this smattering of industry knowledge and jargon seemed to go a long way. Good luck!

RidingMullah

Hi RidingMullah, I am by no means an expert on the situation, but I have just passed my final interview with TFW for conductor, and I was given the helpful advice of researching and using some industry jargon, such as saying you will be responsible for ensuring no platform train interface incidents occur, rather than just saying you will open and close the doors, my interviewers seemed to like this, and you will prepare and dispose of trains rather than just checking the train. Make sure you're prepared to expand on that if they ask what you know about PTI, as I dont think they expected anyone to be aware of it at interview, but they seemed impressed by it, and I got through to have a conditional offer pending medicals, background checks etc which is where I'm at right now. So as I say I'm by no means an expert, but this smattering of industry knowledge and jargon seemed to go a long way. Good luck!

Thank you Jamie. That helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.