• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Manager 12 Month Contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyRail

Hi.
I’ve applied for a TM job that is advertised as only being a 12 month contract.
I understand the cost of training is very expensive for the TOC.
So my questions are. With all of your experience, Is it normal to offer short contracts?
What do you think the chances are of getting a permanent contract after 12 months?
It just seems a lot of aggravation for the TOC to go to for what could only be 9 months work after training which I believe is 3 months?
I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

train_lover

It's the first I've heard of a 12 month contract. I see that Mersey Rail are looking for temporary guards. I' imagine that DOO has a part to play in the role you talk about.

Lrd

Established Member
Let us know what TOC (Train Operating Company) it is then then someone may be able to give a bit of insight into it

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It creates extended probation. If you're not very good after the year it's goodbye. Vacancies need to be filled but also kept open for potential staff redeployment as depots begin to close as we go down the line.

paulwestwood

Hi.
I’ve applied for a TM job that is advertised as only being a 12 month contract.
I understand the cost of training is very expensive for the TOC.
So my questions are. With all of your experience, Is it normal to offer short contracts?
What do you think the chances are of getting a permanent contract after 12 months?
It just seems a lot of aggravation for the TOC to go to for what could only be 9 months work after training which I believe is 3 months?
I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Training will be longer than 3 months as you will have to route learn and be assessed on all routes accordingly, before being let out to run services to Paddington or Penzance etc you would also need to pass out on diversionary routes.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Traincrew depots closing ?

There was a rumour of 12 month contracts back in 2015 just before our strike action, but it denied by the company.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Traincrew depots closing ?

There was a rumour of 12 month contracts back in 2015 just before our strike action, but it denied by the company.

I meant the TMDs such as the Oak and Landore rather than crew depots

KeyRail

Let us know what TOC (Train Operating Company) it is then then someone may be able to give a bit of insight into it
It GWR based in Plymouth. My dilemma is I would be leaving a reasonably paid job that I don’t particularly enjoy, to do something that I think I would. But that not a lot of good if I find myself on the dole in 12 months!!!!

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I meant the TMDs such as the Oak and Landore rather than crew depots

Gotta, yes totally agree makes sense to offer crew jobs to displaced depot grades , but I’m not sure if they should employ people on 12 month contracts know how they’ve lot work it’s very muddy ground if you need to “play nice” for a year.

tsr

Established Member
At least one or two other TOCs have 12 month probationary periods written into their normal contracts (not fixed-term) for very similar roles, so I suppose there could well be something else to it.

sw1ller

Established Member
I see virgin advertising for 12 month fixed contracts quite often. I don’t recall properly what job for but I’m quite sure it was for TM. I’ve often wondered what happened after the 12 months has past.

Status
Not open for further replies.