• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Manager/Conductor Assessment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Hello all, well tomorow, having applied for a job as train manager for first great western(having always wanted to work for them as many of you will know), I have my train manager/conductor assessment in london paddington. I'm really quite worried, not only is it my first time to london, but the practice material they have provided does seem rather difficult... is there anyone here who has done/knows something about the assessment and can give me some tips???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Be friendly to the pax - rare from HSS staff
Don't spend the whole journey in the buffet
Regular ticket checks

Thats what makes a good TM to me and I imagine if you are enthusiastic about the position you should sail through after seeing some of the other TMs on the job.

Good luck!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
it makes me wonder how some of them get through it looking at the assessment material. thanks I'm going to need all the luck in the world :D

T

Tom

We were wondering where you had gone Alun on the meet yesterday! :lol:

Good luck!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
it has been a while. i've been in a lot of work atm, what with studying my management course at work, sitting exams for that and trying for a career on the rails finally. Nice to know I'm still thought of! :D

westcoaster

Established Member
you will be ok mate take ur time , its not about how many you awnser, itr about how many you get wright , read about the company , where they go and the stuff they give you. GOOD LUCK

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
okay thanks alot for the advice, its going to be a long night of revision and on the 0709 off newport to london in the morning *fingers crossed i do well*

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
i bloody hope not lol! thats the only way i will get there lol - if not i'll blame my lateness on them haha

The 158 Man

Hey Alun. Nice to see you again. :razz:

The best of luck to you my old friend. I'm sure you sail through! :D

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
well I'm just about to set off, I shall let you all know how it goes, thanks for all the good luck :) cya all about
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
well it went pretty well - my train was down a few minutes this morning but we made good time and arrived in paddington early. Pretty interesting approach to paddington I must say for someone who has never visited london before. I was pretty worried all the way through. Started with the group bourdon style shapes test, then there was the verbal test,followed by ticket selling and checking. I dare say I was terrible at the ticket selling but I got through to the interview luckily. I think the interview went pretty well, and got out of there in time for the 1515 to cardiff of paddington which happened to be the old class 180 which makes some bloody noise I will say. The air con rattled and sounded more like one of those intensive care machines than air con tbh. Train kept to time all the way through and was happy to arrive home at newport for 1700 - all in all an interesting day even if I do have a banging headache!
Thanks for all the help, advice and good luck, and especially for all the knowledge many of you have given me over the last couple of years.

Craig

Established Member
Glad to hear it went well. What's the next step?

If you'd burst into the room with "43xxx ON TOUR" written on your shirt and told everyone how hellfire the bash from Newport was then they'd have offered you a job on the spot... ;)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Glad to hear it went well. What's the next step?

If you'd burst into the room with "43xxx ON TOUR" written on your shirt and told everyone how hellfire the bash from Newport was then they'd have offered you a job on the spot... ;)

the next step is an interview in bristol with would be manager I think

Haha did think of doing it but it wasn't the most hellfire 43 in the world lol... it was pretty pants tbh

devon_metro

Established Member
Their interviews are all over the shop! Where next? Penzance? Dundee!?

Do FGW pay for your travel?

westcoaster

Established Member
well done, glad to hear everything went well, and you through to the next stage, it takes some doing so be proud of your self, when you go to the next stage get chatting to the tm, try and find out some stuff about the job, housr/shifts/ working conditions it all proves invaluable, and helps you, as said before good luck and all the best.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
well I don't know if I'm through but fingers crossed I am because it seemed okay! The assessment would have been in newport but they have train driver assessments on atm. Yeah FGW gave me a special ticket of somekind for free travel for the day so in theory I could go to london and back for free tonight to do some bashing but I don't think I will haha!

Yeah I may well ask the TM some questions, we had a Bristol Parkway platform man there tell us a bit about the general conditions with First, he was a nice guy so learnt a fair bit from him. Thanks again for the luck and fingers crossed!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Well I received a letter from FGW yesterday and unfortunately I didn't make it through, however I'm still confident - back to searching for jobs!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
If a conductors job or something comes up at atw i will apply but i don't really want to go further than bristol

Jim

Established Member
the general conditions with First,

Only takes one word, begins in S and ends in T!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I received a letter from FGW yesterday and unfortunately I didn't make it through, however I'm still confident - back to searching for jobs!

Awww, sorry to hear that, good luck with ATW now

Status
Not open for further replies.