• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train > Metrolink > Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

Wanting to nail this once and for all, do you agree with me regarding the validity of using Metrolink for free in Manchester city centre zone with the following tickets as examples?

a) Rochdale to Macclesfield
NO because the destination station is not in GM

b) Halifax to Manchester
NO because the origin station is not in GM

c) Rochdale to Stockport
YES because both stations in GM and requires a transfer Vic-Picc (should show CTLZ somewhere though official guidance is unclear and seems to assume EVERYONE wants to travel INTO Manchester rather than pass through)

d) Rochdale to Manchester
YES although no transfer involved, the most likely and usual scenario (should show CTLZ)

e) Manchester to Rochdale
NO because the origin station is within the city centre zone - I got caught out with this and could have been fined!

f) Rochdale to Bolton
NO because the direct route is via Victoria and wouldn't show CTLZ. Presumably you could travel from Rochdale to Victoria then Piccadilly to Bolton if you wanted to shop for example but wouldn't be able to use the tram for free - not 100% sure on this one!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
neilmc: Those all look correct.

If you were commuting from Manchester to Rochdale and using a season ticket you could buy the reverse (Rochdale TO Manchester) and get Metrolink travel included. However, you can't do that with a day return ticket as the outward part becomes invalid once you've used the return part.

nrturner

As the OP, just a quick note that I ended up taking an earlier train from Halifax to MCV and then walked to Piccadilly. Whilst it's good to know that the tickets aren't valid, it is a shame that Metrolink doesn't have through-ticketing. I can imagine it being frustrating for those wanting to travel to towns like Oldham and Bury from, say, London.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
As the OP, just a quick note that I ended up taking an earlier train from Halifax to MCV and then walked to Piccadilly. Whilst it's good to know that the tickets aren't valid, it is a shame that Metrolink doesn't have through-ticketing. I can imagine it being frustrating for those wanting to travel to towns like Oldham and Bury from, say, London.

There is through ticketing for that, you can buy a ticket from London to Oldham MTLK for example, it is the cross Manchester transfer that isn't included unless the ticket is for a journey wholly within the Manchester area.

Established Member

According to a retired GMPTE manager, this goes back to 1991, during BR days, and the railways are solely to blame. At the time of Metrolink's launch, the newly-formed GMPTE approached BR asking for a small amount of money from each ticket to permit passengers with either 'Manchester Stns' or Manchester-routed tickets to use Metrolink in the city zone.

- BR refused citing major abstraction of revenue, and this decision has remained in place for 21 years.

The local ticketing arrangement then came about at the start of Metrolink, where 'GM Origin' Manchester Stns tickets were replaced with Manchester CTLZ, which permits the use of the Metrolink City Zone. Ticketing to Metrolink Stations from places outside the county was later introduced, eg London Terminals to Sale MTLK etc.

The creation of the Rail In The North (RINE) Executive briefly suggested that a 'Single-Ticketing-Solution' should be considered - quite what this suggests is debatable; referring to maybe the GMT Smartcards or perhaps a better solution, pushing Metrolink's ticketing into ATOC, which should have happened in the first place.

radamfi

Established Member
- BR refused citing major abstraction of revenue

But before that the Centreline bus was free to ticket holders. Who paid for that?

Maybe there will be less need to cross the city centre by tram once the Ordsall Curve is in.

Established Member
But before that the Centreline bus was free to ticket holders. Who paid for that?
I remember it, the number 4... I'm certain the two midi-buses were solely funded by the PTE, but I remember cash fares being taken aswell, as confirmed here...
Source - Flickr http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6116/6218218656_055a87a462_z.jpg

Maybe there will be less need to cross the city centre by tram once the Ordsall Curve is in.
Agree, should reduce requirement, especially from Manchester Airport.

Welshman

Established Member
I remember it, the number 4... I'm certain the two midi-buses were solely funded by the PTE, but I remember cash fares being taken aswell, as confirmed here...
Source - Flickr http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6116/6218218656_055a87a462_z.jpg

Yes - I also remember those midi-buses.

As you say, cash fares were taken for those without rail tickets, as they were open to anyone wishing to travel between Victoria/Piccadilly, but they were free of charge on presentation of a rail ticket through Manchester.

Thank you, also, for that insight into the exchange between GMPT and British Rail. I've sometimes wondered why today's interchange via the Metrolink tram was not free of charge for journeys originating outside the area.

Interesting, too, that current interchange between Oxford Rd and Victoria is still free of charge on the Metroshuttle service [as the service is f.o.c. for any passenger].

So, if it's pouring down and you don't fancy the walk, and if your train is approaching Piccadilly from the Oxford Rd direction, it's sometimes quicker, and cheaper, to use the Metroshuttle to Victoria.

boyaloud

You can also board the Metroshuttle 2 to Victoria from outside Deansgate station.

Another option is from Piccadilly Station to Salford Central Station on the Metroshuttle 3. I do love Manchester having 4 (5 really as Salford Central is within the inner ring road) trains station in the centre + 7 Metrolink stops!

Status
Not open for further replies.