• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train pricing "penalises" corporate travellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Hogg Robinson Group (HRG) has called for an end to unfair ‘anytime ticket' pricing.

The TMC said the resulting increased costs and reduced flexibility "penalise" business travellers thousands of pounds each year.

The tickets which replace standard and first class returns restrict travel to a particular date, rather than the previous one month validity.

According to HRG, refunds can take up to 28 days in which time replacement tickets must be purchased.
Related Articles

"On long distance travel, this can cost hundreds of pounds extra for each journey," said HRG. "With rail fares set to increase by an average of 7 per cent from January, the situation will only get worse."

HRG has launched a campaign against the Association of Train Operators (ATOC) which introduced the new pricing in May this year "under the guise of simplifying the myriad of cheap tickets."

The campaign has the support of long distance rail companies and clients such as the Ministry of Defence.

Terry Grainger, HRG's director of government contracts, said: "This is a flagrant attempt by ATOC to increase the cash flow of its rail franchise members at the expense of their customers and is simply not acceptable.

"Apart from the questionable use of the word ‘anytime' in reference to these tickets, this clause penalises the biggest customers of the rail industry, which surely does not make sound business sense."

http://www.abtn.co.uk/news/rail-fares-penalise-business-travellers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ATOC doesn't give a damn about the rail industry's customers. It's just a front to allow the TOCs to treat customers unfairly and then say "don't blame us! it's ATOC!" when really they are all in agreement over introducing draconian rules, restrictions and huge price increases.

No other industry treats its customers with such contempt.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I thought that the previous Standard Open Return only allowed outward travel on the specified date and return withing a month, what has changed with anytime?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought that the previous Standard Open Return only allowed outward travel on the specified date and return withing a month, what has changed with anytime?
It was valid out and return within a month so a business could buy a ticket and use it for a trip any day in that month. Now they have to use it that day and if they change their mind they have to get it refunded at a cost of £10 + lost interest + extra admin work for the company.

Mintona

Established Member
Can you not buy it "in advance", for example if it was the 20th, ask for the outward to be valid on the 27th, and the return to be valid til 26th of the following month? I don't honestly know, just asking.

glynn80

Established Member
Can you not buy it "in advance", for example if it was the 20th, ask for the outward to be valid on the 27th, and the return to be valid til 26th of the following month? I don't honestly know, just asking.

Yes you can but again that does take the flexibility out of things. Many businesses I heard would buy a number of returns to a destination frequently travelled to by their staff and then staff could then use those on any day within the month rather than having to specify their dates.

What happened to the concept of carnet tickets? I believe that only HEX and GC still offer these?

Status
Not open for further replies.