• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train refurbishment -- costs, timelines etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJim

Hi Guys

This is my first post but have been a long-time lurker on the forum. I was at my local railway station and overheard a conversation by a couple of drivers who were on about recent train refurbishment and how much they cost. This got me thinking...

They mentioned different sort of train refurbishment but I can't find much more information on the web other than there are three types -- C3, C4 and C6. Does anyone have any further information?

I did find quite an interesting video online (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gik2do6cySM&t=12s) of a Grand Central Class 180 refurb and it got me wondering. How much would it cost to undertake such a refurb and timelines?

If anyone has any information or a possible link to a case study that would be great.

Best

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi, welcome to the forum.

C3, C4 and C6 are types of 'Classified overhaul' - in other words regular planned maintenance, either mileage based or calendar based.

The exact definitions used to be broadly standardised, but nowadays can vary between stock owners.

I think C6 is usually a bodywork overhaul.

AIUI the sort of refurbishments that provide new improved facilities such as RVAR compliance are outside of the classified overhaul 'system'. This will be the C6X shown below. I'd assume that comes from C6 with extras...

A few months (years) ago I posted a list:

C means a 'Classified Overhaul'. C6 is an overhaul that deals primarily with bodywork, painting and interior facilities. Planned on a condition based survey, IIRC, as opposed to something like a C4 which is a basically a mileage based overhaul of the running gear.

Found a list, which fits in with my general understanding. C3 and C5 are the non-typical ones you don't hear about as much:

C3 heavy overhaul on carriages and EMUs, combining C4 cand C6 work.
C4 overhaul of wheels, bogies, brakes and couplings. Carriages and multiple Units.
C5 Main Works repairs, outside the usual overhaul sequence.
C6 overhaul of carriage body, including doors and interior repairs. May include a repaint.
C6X C6 overhaul with extra work, perhaps interior enhancements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.