• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train shown as cancelled and delayed at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
The other day (Saturday) I was at Hartford station (I was waiting to go southbound on the 09:04) the 09:12 to Liverpool Lime Street was announced and shown on the departure boards as being cancelled but both the departure boards and the announcements then said that the next service was expected to be the 09:12, just delayed. So on the departure board (on platform) the first departure was shown as the 09:12 cancelled and the second 09:12 expected 09:XX (can't remember what time it was expected).
I expect that the disruption earlier south of Birmingham had something to do with the delay but as it was clearly the same train which was shown as cancelled and delayed would it not be less confusing for passengers if they just show it as delayed or is there a reason why both need showing? Also is this common at other locations, as this is the first time I have noticed it?
Sorry if this is slightly confusing, I was struggling on how to explain this and hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It was probably caused by the train being re started at Birmingham New Street, instead of coming from London Euston.

The original train terminated at Northampton, with a replacement starting from Birmingham New Street, but with a different head code. The two different headcodes probably confused the system, making it think they were two different trains scheduled at the same time at Hartford.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
What's happened here is that 9F34 0534 London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street has terminated at Northampton, seems to have been due to a person hit by a train.

The service has then been restarted at Birmingham New Street as 9T34 0804 Birmingham New Street to Liverpool Lime Street.

It sounds like the restarted train was then itself delayed for one reason or another.

You're absolutely right, what should be done is that 9F34 should be hidden from public view at New Street and points north of there. For whatever reason that hasn't happened hence this odd confusion.

rogercov

Looking at Realtimetrains:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/HTF/2019/08/31/0912
The original London to Liverpool train 9F34 was cancelled when it reached Northampton due to a person hit by a train.
They then put on a replacement starting at Birmingham with a different ID 9T34, which was running about 15min late.
Therefore the system had both services in it.
I agree it's confusing for passengers. It's one of those cases where the computer is only doing what it's told. :smile:

headshot119

Established Member
I believe what has happened here is that 9F34 was cancelled at Northampton, and restarted from Birmingham New Street as 9T34, therefore the system had two trains in it.

blue87

I see that happen with Virgin Trains services booked for another Voyager to couple up en route, they show on the departure boards as separate services sometimes.

VT 390

Established Member
Thank you for the replies this does make more sense to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.