• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

Drogba11CFC

A South East London Network (basically an extension of South London Network/Chatham Main Line/Medway route) is now available for free from the Steam Workshop, those 3 mentioned existing routes are among the main requirements it would seem.

Projects to get excited about in 2023:
DTG are working on a new improved TSC User Interface with a number of stability and functionality improvements to the core game and extending the games' life past its 20th anniversary.
AP have teased what appears to be a new improved weather and lighting pack. There's the 317/318 pack on the way (an AP/GU Studios collaboration)
ATS/GU Studios are releasing their Stadler 745/755 pack to work on their forthcoming update/extended Great Eastern Line. They are also working on the next phase of the WCML missing link to Manchester and a Cross Country merge of the Huddersfield/Chat Moss/Harrogate freeware route to bring a full Cross Country route.
The Class 309 Preservation Society are planning to release Clacton/Walton to London in NSE era using their purpose-built 309 model and AP 321/86s.
Backdated Train Sim (makers of the excellent NSE era North London Line) have released a Class 85 as freeware.

So with news that DTG are not only continuing to support the game but actually looking at ways of updating it, I think our virtual train and route collections will continue to give pleasure for years to come or until there's a modern sim that takes playability and immersion further than they managed with TSW.
Plus the VW 9F, the BMG Schools and Castle...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
I would highly recommend the new AP Weather Pack and Signal Pack to anyone. It’s so satisfying watching the incandescent signals step up by fading out and in, and the new weather pack makes it look like you’re using RWEnhancer, but without the foibles that come with it.

SteveyBee131

I would highly recommend the new AP Weather Pack and Signal Pack to anyone. It’s so satisfying watching the incandescent signals step up by fading out and in, and the new weather pack makes it look like you’re using RWEnhancer, but without the foibles that come with it.
Definitely on the to do list once I've built my fleet and routes up a bit!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I saw the below on a Facebook group the other day, and it's certainly made a difference for me (my 64 bit TS wasn't set to high performance). Seeing between +10-15fps difference. Well worth a check.

Some users have found that the 64-bit version is not running as well as the 32-Bit version. The common cause of this appears to be that the 64-bit version is using the Integrated Graphics device rather than their discreet high-performance graphics device.

To resolve such an issue, you will need to tell Windows to use your discreet high-performance graphics device when you launch Train Simulator 64-bit.

To do so please open the Windows Settings menu within Windows 10 and select System and then Display.

You’ll need to scroll down to the bottom of this page and select Graphics Settings.

From here select Classic App from the drop-down list and then select Browse. A pop-up will now appear asking you to select a file.

You’ll need to navigate to your Train Simulator installation folder and select the file RailWorks64.exe and then click on Add. By default, the Train Simulator is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks but if you've told Steam to install it to a different drive or folder, you'll be able to find that by opening Steam, select Game Library, then right-click on Train Simulator and select Properties. Next, click on the Local Files tab and click the button Browse Local Files - the installed folder location will be revealed in the Windows Explorer address bar.

You’ll now see RailWorks64 listed on the Graphics Settings page please click on this and select Options.

From the three options which appear, you’ll need to ensure High Performance is selected. Once selected press Save to confirm your choice.

Afterwards, you should now find that when launching the 64-Bit version of Train Simulator 2020 you get the full performance your system is able to provide.

365 Networker

If anyone is interested, Armstrong Powerhouse are currently running a screen-shot competition. The prize is a lifetime supply of AP products.
SCREENSHOT COMPETITION - WIN A LIFETIME SUPPLY OF OUR PACKS!

YOU MUST OWN AND USE OUR SKY & WEATHER ENHANCEMENT PACK 2.0 TO TAKE PART IN THIS COMPETITION.

Now you are all hopefully becoming familiar with using our Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack 2.0, we are holding a competition with a very special prize of a lifetime* supply of Armstrong Powerhouse products! The lucky winner will have free access to all packs currently on sale on our website at www.armstrongpowerhouse.com, as well as any packs we release in the future.

To have a chance at winning, take a screenshot that you feel best shows off our Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack 2.0. The winning screenshot will be judged on composition, lighting and originality. Please then upload the screenshot to somewhere on the web (we recommend https://imgur.com/upload) and send the link to us using the Contact Us form on our website at https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/index.php?route=information/contact.

The closing date and time for entries is 8.00pm on Wedneday 29th March 2023.

Best of luck! We very much look forward to seeing your entries.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The screenshot you enter must be taken by you. Under no circumstance can you use someone else's screenshot. If we receive a complaint and the complainant successfully proves ownership to our satisfaction, your entry will be void.

Screenshots must be raw and taken straight from the simulator with no editing. No post-processing such as using Photoshop is permitted.

Number of entries allowed - One. Any subsequent entries from the same individual will not be taken into consideration and likely deleted from this post.

The winner will be announced within a few days after the closing date.

Upon announcing the winning screenshot, we shall post it on our Facebook page, along with nine runner-up screenshots.

If the winner does not get in contact to claim the prize within seven days of the announcement, a different winner will be selected from the runner-ups.

If selected as the winner, you must be able to prove upon request that you have purchased the Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack 2.0 from www.armstrongpowerhouse.com.

Our say is final on any aspect of this competition.

* Lifetime is defined as for as long as we are trading. We retain the right to revoke this at any time.
(From Facebook page - https://en-gb.facebook.com/armstrongpowerhouse/)

LUYMun

Armstrong Powerhouse currently having a sale over this Easter weekend.
EASTER SALE - UP TO 40% OFF!

It's sale time! We are offering up to 40% off the majority of our catalogue over the Easter weekend.

The sale ends on Monday 10th April 2023 at 23:59 BST.

Silver Cobra

trv100

hi everyone, does anyone know of a leeds - bradford forster square / skipton route in development? been looking for one for years but the only one i could find has been dormant since 2020

InkyScrolls

I've asked about this previously and been met with a deafening silence - which is an answer in itself! It's a shame as the Triangle would make for an excellent add-on - especially given the KWVR, Leeds station, and the line from Skipton to Carlisle are all modelled in one form or another.

trv100

i know, right? ive asked 3 times, twice on here and once on UKTS and absolutely no response. its a shame merciaadams hasnt got any way to contact them because that LDS - BDQ route looked very good, especially for 2016-2020

InkyScrolls

Further to this: Does anyone know if a route has been created as an update for the original Settle - Carlisle, including the section to Skipton? I'm aware of the excellent 1970s one, but I'm thinking of modern-day. The route finishing at Settle Jct. is madness, given that all crews continue at least as far as Skipton!

trv100

the whole idea of the settle carlisle route is madness, given youre only 15 miles from skipton at settle, and from skipton youre only 20 miles from leeds! it would make sense to do the entirety of the route. it only makes sense to not do it on TSW, which is practically an arcade version of tsc

Last edited:

SteveyBee131

the whole idea of the settle carlisle route is madness, given youre only 15 miles from skipton at settle, and from skipton youre only 20 miles from leeds! it would make sense to do the entirety of the route. it only makes sense to do it on TSW, which is practically an arcade version of tsc
A rough calculation that would bring it on a par with the likes of North Wales Coast mileage-wise. If BDQ and ILK were included that would be similar to the WCML North with it's extra bits around Glasgow that just make sense to be included. I'm with all those who say it would be great to see the S&C extended!*

*Though the Airedale and Wharfedale would need some suitable EMUs!

_toommm_

Established Member
Though the Airedale and Wharfedale would need some suitable EMUs!

91, 321, 800/801 (not sure whether these ram whilst the 321s were still at Northern though) should cover most of it. The 333 is of course a massive absence if there were to be a triangle route made. Throw in some Pacers and Sprinters for the services past Skipton too.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
91, 321, 800/801 (not sure whether these ram whilst the 321s were still at Northern though) should cover most of it. The 333 is of course a massive absence if there were to be a triangle route made. Throw in some Pacers and Sprinters for the services past Skipton too.

Tagging on here but sounds like AP are doing an updated Pacer looking at there Facebook of late.

_toommm_

Established Member
Tagging on here but sounds like AP are doing an updated Pacer looking at there Facebook of late.

The wibble that I saw from the AP/ATS page was that they were going to update the DTG Pacer, but who knows. A new model from AP with the standards that they’ve had from the 411/412 pack will be absolutely amazing.

trv100

it would be quite interesting to see whether DTG include ilkley now that i think about it

Silver Cobra

The process of updating the core of Train Simulator Classic to bring it to modern standards begins on 27th April when the first core overhaul update will be issued. Along with this, the included routes in the base game will be refreshed, changing them from the current line-up that includes the WCML South to the following routes: the Pegnitztalbahn, the Long Island Rail Road and the Huddersfield Line. This will also come with a new Deluxe Edition featuring the Flying Scotsman Centenary Pack.

More information can be found in this article:

We’re excited to announce that the first update to Train Simulator Classic is planned to arrive on 27th April! If you’ve been reading our developer updates on Dovetail Live, you’ll know that this is the start of a new journey for the simulation. As well as this free core update we will also be refreshing the routes included with Train Simulator Classic and adding a new Deluxe Edition. Giving all railfans an easy way to start or grow the virtual train collection of your dreams. Read on to find out more.

Core Update
We have extensively reworked the core code to establish a foundation on which we can build a Train Simulator for the modern world. By removing parts of the code which aren't being used, and rewriting elements to bring it up to a modern standard, the core has never been more stable than it is today. Our ongoing mission is to further develop the core and improve the experience for everyone. You can read more about this work in our developer updates from the past months (Article 1, Article 2).

Routes Refresh
Alongside the update to Train Simulator Classic we are refreshing the routes included with the base simulation. For those joining the hobby for the first time, or anyone looking to add something new to their collection you will find three authentically created routes to buy in one package. Explore the picturesque countryside of Bavaria with Pegnitztalbahn, take on America’s busiest commuter with Long Island Rail Road, and face the challenging Pennines as you tour the Huddersfield Line.

These three routes from around the world come with 10 officially licensed locomotives to learn. Pegnitztalbahn features the DB BR 612, which makes easy work tilting into the scenic unelectrified twisting lines from Nürnberg to Bayreuth. On the legendary Long Island Rail Road you will take control of a modern work horse, the Bombardier-built M7 electric-multiple-unit (EMU). On the Huddersfield Line there is a slew of Privatisation era 1990s rolling stock to enjoy, like the BR Class 158 Sprinter and the almighty BR Class 142 Pacer.

Deluxe Edition
Celebrate 100 years of the most famous steam locomotive in the world with the new Deluxe Edition of Train Simulator Classic. Releasing at the same time this includes the above three routes (Pegnitztalbahn, Long Island Rail Road, Huddersfield Line), East Coast Main Line London - Peterborough, and the Flying Scotsman Centenary Pack. Rack up over 300 miles of famous main line steam running across 10 scenarios on the foot plate of Gresley’s almighty LNER A3 Pacific.

The Core update, routes refresh and Deluxe Edition will all launch on 27th April.

_toommm_

Established Member
The process of updating the core of Train Simulator Classic to bring it to modern standards begins on 27th April when the first core overhaul update will be issued. Along with this, the included routes in the base game will be refreshed, changing them from the current line-up that includes the WCML South to the following routes: the Pegnitztalbahn, the Long Island Rail Road and the Huddersfield Line. This will also come with a new Deluxe Edition featuring the Flying Scotsman Centenary Pack.

More information can be found in this article:

Hopefully they’re working on the WCMLS, as it’s an absolute lag-fest at the minute. It’s the one route I cannot run.

asw22

There was a few years overlap between the 91s / 43s and 322s in the late 2010s between Skipton and Leeds. The 800/1s were entering service at around the same time as the 331s were replacing the 322s so (not sure but at best maybe) a few weeks overlap in late 2019 / early 2020.

trv100

I'm currently working on a Caledonian Sleeper ECML divert scenario using Mk3s reskinned with the Mk5 livery. It may be prudent for me to hold off publishing it for now if ATS could be releasing Mk5s in the near future.
old post - but does anyone have any more info on this?

Established Member

_toommm_

Established Member

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Looking forward to this! The JT one is okay as AI or on the back of a Sprinter lash-up, but it's not the best to drive, especially compared to AP products.

(Admittedly the JT version is getting on a bit now).

Me too. I do wonder if it’s a joint AP & Waggonz venture. I’m sure I’ve heard Richard from AP mention it’s something they were doing on an ATS stream last year.