• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train skipped stop unannounced - last train of night - what *should* have happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC

I was reminded of this thread after reading about the Sleeper running through edinburgh recently. I was wondering if pulling the cord in that situation would still be frowned on as complete not acceptable by the regulars here....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I was reminded of this thread after reading about the Sleeper running through edinburgh recently. I was wondering if pulling the cord in that situation would still be frowned on as complete not acceptable by the regulars here....
That wouldn't have had any effect as the brakes weren't functional...

BC

Surely, and I'm guessing somewhat here from what I recall... The train pipe was isolated from the drivers control but still had pressure. So If the communications cord were pulled and it was one of the types that dumps pressure from the pipe (or destroys vacuum on really old stock) that would brake when the driver were not able to bring full braking to effect?

Of course if it was a newer one that merely signals to the driver then this is a moot point of course.

35B

Established Member
Unless I've completely misunderstood the situation, the train was brought to a stand by the action of the Train Manager pulling the cord and therefore activating the train brakes; something that the driver could not do.

And I think @Bearclaw is right to highlight a question - at the point at which a train is obviously going to miss a planned stop, how does a passenger know that the explanation is innocent when what happened at Waverley demonstrates that a runaway is still possible on the newest of trains.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surely, and I'm guessing somewhat here from what I recall... The train pipe was isolated from the drivers control but still had pressure. So If the communications cord were pulled and it was one of the types that dumps pressure from the pipe (or destroys vacuum on really old stock) that would brake when the driver were not able to bring full braking to effect?

CAF stock (not just Mk5, also 195s etc) has the (in my view very sensible) German style setup of separate passcom/call for aid (green) and emergency brake (red). As per the thread on that subject, the train was eventually brought to a stand by the guard operating the latter.

Veteran Member
Unless I've completely misunderstood the situation, the train was brought to a stand by the action of the Train Manager pulling the cord and therefore activating the train brakes; something that the driver could not do.

And I think @Bearclaw is right to highlight a question - at the point at which a train is obviously going to miss a planned stop, how does a passenger know that the explanation is innocent when what happened at Waverley demonstrates that a runaway is still possible on the newest of trains.

As I suggested upthread (#101), a train hurtling towards its terminus - or in this case overrunning it - is pretty much a cast-iron reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.