• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainboard.uk: live departure boards. Feedback welcome!

trainboard_tim

I've been building a site to serve live departure and arrival boards. I'm using it myself, but it's at the point where I'd really love some feedback.

The site is www.trainboard.uk. You can link directly to individual stations by appending the CRS, e.g. www.trainboard.uk/CLJ

When building it I've had in mind:
  • speed – I want it to feel snappy, preloading pages where possible, not hundreds of loading spinners
  • simplicity – just do the basics well, key information clear at a glance
  • mobile-friendly – maybe just me, but I don't bring my whole computer with me when I take the train
I've learned a lot about trains since starting building it (!) but I'm sure there will be things I've missed. For instance, at first I wasn't correctly handling services that start from two destinations then join (I think I am now). I expect there are more blindspots like this (services that split to three destinations? Buses that become ferries?!) so I thought this forum would be the perfect place to ask for some friendly constructive feedback.

Not to lead the witness, but in case it's useful, some prompts for feedback:
  • you're not showing {piece of information that I find useful} on {page}
  • it doesn't work on {device or browser combo}
  • it doesn't handle {unusual thing that trains sometimes do}
  • I was confused by...
  • the site would be more accessible if...
  • I would find it helpful if...
  • I would use this site regularly, if...

I'd welcome feedback either here, or through the feedback button in the top corner of the site. Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
The initial results page doesn't show the TOC, this would be useful.

Last edited:
This is a very nice site, sleek, clean, modern, and easy to use. Depending on the data feed you’re using this may or may not be possible, but a possible addition could be showing the number of coaches on each service. As I said it’s a very good website with a lot of potential, and is much easier to use than many of the other web departure boards.

FenMan

Established Member
Via points need to be shown where there are different routes and station calls beween A and B.

An example is Waterloo - Portsmouth services via Guildford or via Basingstoke.

Another is the three different routes used by trains between Waterloo and Guildford.

trainboard_tim

Thanks all very much for the feedback and suggestions!

I've just taken a look at the data feeds I'm using.

The initial results page doesn't show the TOC, this would be useful.
I think it would be possible to show the TOC on both the board and the service page. I'll give this some thought – ideally there's a way that avoids clutter and provides the right balance of info to most users.

This is a very nice site, sleek, clean, modern, and easy to use. Depending on the data feed you’re using this may or may not be possible, but a possible addition could be showing the number of coaches on each service. As I said it’s a very good website with a lot of potential, and is much easier to use than many of the other web departure boards.
Thanks so much for this! It looks like I do have the number of coaches on some services but not all. I think this matches my experience with other sites where they only have coach info on more popular routes. I'll take a look and see how other web departure boards show this info.

Also I'll have to face the challenge of services like these: trainboard.uk/VIC?f=BOG where they start as 8 or 12 and then split!

Via points need to be shown where there are different routes and station calls beween A and B.

An example is Waterloo - Portsmouth services via Guildford or via Basingstoke.

Another is the three different routes used by trains between Waterloo and Guildford.
Unfortunately my data feed (LDBWS) doesn't seem to denote in any way when there is a 'special' via point.

For instance, trainboard.uk/WAT?f=PMH there's nothing in the data to show me there's anything 'special' about the via points of Guildford on one route vs Basingstoke on the other, so unless that data source changes I can't see how I could show this info I'm afraid.

If there was a short, fairly reliable list of routes that behave like this, it'd be possible for me to look up against that list and then in such cases flag "this is the Guildford route" etc. – any chance you know where I might find such a list?!

Alternatively, if you can point me to other web departure boards that do correctly handle the routes you're describing, I'd be really grateful!

signed

ideally there's a way that avoids clutter
Doesn't all TOC have a NR two-letter code? I would see that to be both information giving and succint while being a common identifier

Granted, some are very outdated (like LNER=GR) but if you have the TOC in full on the service page that sounds just fine

Robski_

Unfortunately my data feed (LDBWS) doesn't seem to denote in any way when there is a 'special' via point.

For instance, trainboard.uk/WAT?f=PMH there's nothing in the data to show me there's anything 'special' about the via points of Guildford on one route vs Basingstoke on the other, so unless that data source changes I can't see how I could show this info I'm afraid.

If there was a short, fairly reliable list of routes that behave like this, it'd be possible for me to look up against that list and then in such cases flag "this is the Guildford route" etc. – any chance you know where I might find such a list?!

Alternatively, if you can point me to other web departure boards that do correctly handle the routes you're describing, I'd be really grateful!
LDBWS does provide via point descriptions (supplied in the destination data). There is also a list of them in the Darwin reference data feed, should you wish to implement it manually.
1716494179868.png

Code:
"destination": [
{
"locationName": "Portsmouth Harbour",
"crs": "PMH",
"via": "via Basingstoke",
"assocIsCancelled": false
1, "rsid": "SW846780",
"std": "21:09",
"etd": "On time",
"platform": "15",
"operator": "South Western Railway",

Screenshot shows an extract of the data returned by LDBWS (taken from the Rail Data Marketplace website, supplied in JSON format) for a train to Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke.

BigB

So not surprisingly it is a bit flaky on older IOS versions but that is to be expected! As such the feedback button doesn't work.
The "later" button is useful but there is no "earlier" button to return to the previous screen. Using back takes you to the home screen, where you need to enter the station again, which unfortunately doesn't work on older IOS versions. So I needed to use the URL route..
Platform numbers are shown for the station chosen only in journey details, but may be useful when travelling to know which platform you arrive at, especially if changing trains. Yes, you can click on the station you are changing at and it shows all platforms, but I personally prefer to see it on the journey details, especially if a change occurs.

I hope this is of use - I will try this in Android and Edge etc. to see how "normal" users see it too!

trainboard_tim

LDBWS does provide via point descriptions (supplied in the destination data). There is also a list of them in the Darwin reference data feed, should you wish to implement it manually.
View attachment 158664
Screenshot shows an extract of the data returned by LDBWS (taken from the Rail Data Marketplace website, supplied in JSON format) for a train to Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke.
Oh amazing, thanks, this is perfect! I can't seem to find this view but I'll dig into it as that's exactly the source I'm using. Mine looks like the below but I might be looking at a different endpoint.

1716495249627.png

So not surprisingly it is a bit flaky on older IOS versions but that is to be expected! As such the feedback button doesn't work.
The "later" button is useful but there is no "earlier" button to return to the previous screen. Using back takes you to the home screen, where you need to enter the station again, which unfortunately doesn't work on older IOS versions. So I needed to use the URL route..
Thanks for this detail! How old is your iOS version? Frustrating that even the station search doesn't work

I ummed and ahhed over the 'later' button – originally it paginated to only show the 'next' set, with an 'earlier' button to paginate back. I then changed it to just append the 'next' set so you can still go 'earlier' by just scrolling up the same page. It does make it a bit unwieldy with lots on the page but hopefully still workable this way?

Platform numbers are shown for the station chosen only in journey details, but may be useful when travelling to know which platform you arrive at, especially if changing trains. Yes, you can click on the station you are changing at and it shows all platforms, but I personally prefer to see it on the journey details, especially if a change occurs.
Ahh this is such a great spot and it's been a thorn in my side for a while – frustratingly I can't see this information in my data source. It seems to only give me the platform of the chosen station which is very frustrating. I'll raise this as feedback with the data provider (unless perhaps like the above I'm again missing something..!)

I hope this is of use - I will try this in Android and Edge etc. to see how "normal" users see it too!
Super useful, thanks so much!

Okay, that's done!

Check out e.g. www.trainboard.uk/WAT and look for services to e.g. GLD – it'll show the via where I'm getting that data.
1716496628441.png

Robski_, strangely I can't see that `via` appearing in any of the WAT→PMH services maybe it was only in the 21:09 shown in your screenshot but not in the later ones once I got to your message? Plus thanks for the pointer to Darwin – I'll have a dig around.

=======
Update: I've just realised emojis aren't rendering (hence my full-stop-less sentences) plus my replies all get bundled together – apologies for what's now a fairly unwieldy message. I'd edit it if I could..!

Last edited:

Robski_

Robski_, strangely I can't see that `via` appearing in any of the WAT→PMH services maybe it was only in the 21:09 shown in your screenshot but not in the later ones once I got to your message? Plus thanks for the pointer to Darwin – I'll have a dig around.
As far as I can see, it does not show for trains via Guildford (only Basingstoke), presumably as the Guildford route is the default/standard route. I have attached a list of via locations applicable at Waterloo from the Darwin reference feed which could help you. Destinations and via locations are TIPLOCs, not CRS codes.
XML:
<Via at="WAT" dest="BRGHTN" loc1="BSNGSTK" viatext="via Basingstoke" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="EFNGHMJ" loc1="EPSM" viatext="via Epsom" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="GUILDFD" loc1="ASCOT" viatext="via Ascot" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="GUILDFD" loc1="CBHMSDA" viatext="via Cobham" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="GUILDFD" loc1="EPSM" viatext="via Epsom" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="GUILDFD" loc1="RICHMND" loc2="ALDRSHT" viatext="via Richmond &amp; Aldershot" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="GUILDFD" loc1="WOKING" viatext="via Woking" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="KGSTON" loc1="RICHMND" viatext="via Richmond" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="PHBR" loc1="BSNGSTK" viatext="via Basingstoke" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="PSEA" loc1="BSNGSTK" viatext="via Basingstoke" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="SHEPRTN" loc1="RICHMND" viatext="via Richmond" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WATRLMN" loc1="HOUNSLW" loc2="RICHMND" viatext="via Hounslow &amp; Richmond" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WATRLMN" loc1="KGSTON" loc2="RICHMND" viatext="via Kingston &amp; Richmond" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WATRLMN" loc1="RICHMND" loc2="HOUNSLW" viatext="via Richmond &amp; Hounslow" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WATRLMN" loc1="RICHMND" loc2="KGSTON" viatext="via Richmond &amp; Kingston" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WEYBDGB" loc1="HOUNSLW" loc2="STAINES" viatext="via Hounslow &amp; Staines" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WEYBDGB" loc1="STAINES" viatext="via Staines" />
<Via at="WAT" dest="WOKING" loc1="HOUNSLW" loc2="STAINES" viatext="via Hounslow &amp; Staines" />

hux385

This is really neat! I really like it!

My one suggestion is the situation when you are viewing a specific train's journey and click on a subsequent station. Currently it shows departures from that station at the current time, whereas in my opinion, it is more useful to show departures from that station around the tune that the train in question is due to arrive there.

FenMan

Established Member

A nice update!

The last Waterloo - Pompey via Basingstoke is the 21:09 - perhaps you were just too late to see the differentiation between the Pompey services.

You were also asking about implementations that do show this info.

- The first link is to a Worldline departures page for Guildford:- https://tiger.worldline.global/GUILDFD/cisds
- The second is to the Worldline home page (note not all TOCs contribute data), where it's a lot of fun messing around with the various views:- https://tiger.worldline.global/home

trainboard_tim

As far as I can see, it does not show for trains via Guildford (only Basingstoke), presumably as the Guildford route is the default/standard route. I have attached a list of via locations applicable at Waterloo from the Darwin reference feed which could help you. Destinations and via locations are TIPLOCs, not CRS codes.

Ah that looks like exactly what I need. I'm guessing this (the full data for every station's via points) isn't available through one of the APIs on the Rail Data Marketplace; I'd have to listen to one of the push services? If so, I suspect that might be too much for me for now and I'll need to stick to the `via` provided through the existing API.

This is really neat! I really like it!

My one suggestion is the situation when you are viewing a specific train's journey and click on a subsequent station. Currently it shows departures from that station at the current time, whereas in my opinion, it is more useful to show departures from that station around the tune that the train in question is due to arrive there.
Thanks, this is a really nice suggestion: I can immediately understand the everyday use case. I'll give some thought to how I could do this – might require a few changes to the current setup around how I fetching later and later services.

A nice update!

The last Waterloo - Pompey via Basingstoke is the 21:09 - perhaps you were just too late to see the differentiation between the Pompey services.

You were also asking about implementations that do show this info.

- The first link is to a Worldline departures page for Guildford:- https://tiger.worldline.global/GUILDFD/cisds
- The second is to the Worldline home page (note not all TOCs contribute data), where it's a lot of fun messing around with the various views:- https://tiger.worldline.global/home
This is a great pointer, thanks. Loads of detail there!