• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Conductor assessments - @ Northern

banksywhoshe

So you're exempt from doing the assessments if you apply to be a conductor internally?

Does this apply to any internal role (I.e: Ticket Office/Customer Service) or just Revenue and Cleaners?
I don’t know for sure about ticket office or cust service.
I was revenue and I stepped up to be guard, and I didn’t have to do them. People at school told me how hard they are though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KielDav

Hello, I hope this went for you! I was hoping to get some clarification on the 'calculations' assessment. Some online tests ask for the reading of data, graphs, tables, percentages, ratios etc but others suggest that the test will be mainly focused on addition/subtraction etc. I was just wondering what areas I should practice. Math's isn't my strong suit. Thank you for any help.
Hi,

hope this isnt too late, i have done the maths twice and both times they were linear equations where i had to find ?. Example being 21
x 41 - ? = 800, Ans 61

Toon Tracker

Hello, I hope this went for you! I was hoping to get some clarification on the 'calculations' assessment. Some online tests ask for the reading of data, graphs, tables, percentages, ratios etc but others suggest that the test will be mainly focused on addition/subtraction etc. I was just wondering what areas I should practice. Math's isn't my strong suit. Thank you for any help.
Hi Ruth, how did you get one? I have just done both tests the other day, got 10 out of 10 in the practice test and thought I would do well in the actual test. I got quite a shock seeing how much more difficult the real test was! I've been a bit down since then, the role sounds like something I would love to do, though I feel like I've lost the opportunity now with how badly I think that test went :s Fingers crossed you had a better experience.

Hi Ruth, how did you get one? I have just done both tests the other day, got 10 out of 10 in the practice test and thought I would do well in the actual test. I got quite a shock seeing how much more difficult the real test was! I've been a bit down since then, the role sounds like something I would love to do, though I feel like I've lost the opportunity now with how badly I think that test went :s Fingers crossed you had a better experience.
on, not one!

Kieranjones

Hey guys! I recently didn't get past the tests. I was told by a friend who already works for Northern the tests were multiple choice. This seems to have changed and required you to quickly work through some really tough linear equations with barely anytime to work them out. I just wanted to see what resources anyone who did pass used to prepare. I will be applying again and making sure I'm ready.

Mgees

The only thing I found that really came close to the style of questions were the practice ones you get at the start, so I just did those over and over again until I didn’t panic with the ticking clock

Toon Tracker

Just received an E-mail to say that I have passed the two tests, I am quite surprised as I felt that I had done terribly in the maths one (I estimate to have answered only half correctly). Like Mgees I also tried the practice questions before starting, they're the best resource to have for practice, just expect the maths ones to be even more demanding than the practice questions (in the practice I scored 10/10).

Kieranjones

The only thing I found that really came close to the style of questions were the practice ones you get at the start, so I just did those over and over again until I didn’t panic with the ticking clock
Fair enough! I did the practice ones a couple of times and got 10/10 so I felt confident until I started the actual test. Aw well! I'll be more prepared next time

Just received an E-mail to say that I have passed the two tests, I am quite surprised as I felt that I had done terribly in the maths one (I estimate to have answered only half correctly). Like Mgees I also tried the practice questions before starting, they're the best resource to have for practice, just expect the maths ones to be even more demanding than the practice questions (in the practice I scored 10/10).
Well done mate! I smashed the practice ones. I think I panicked a little bit on the actual test. There was an answer of 2 I think I'd got right but didn't have the time to type it in. Next time!