• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee conductor York

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassethound77

Hi all I've applied for trainee conductor with FTPE and have my telephone interview on Friday the 23rd, just wondered if anyone could give me any tips on how to prepare and what to expect.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellwhatitis

Hi all I've applied for trainee conductor with FTPE and have my telephone interview on Friday the 23rd, just wondered if anyone could give me any tips on how to prepare and what to expect.

You will be asked for examples of the following:

When you've worked in a customer facing position and how you delivered good customer service and outcomes.

When you've worked on your own intiative and examples of how you made decisions.

How you've communicated with colleagues and third parties to solve a problem or achieve an outcome.

How you've handled a situation involving disagreement or conflict.

How you've gained the co operation of and given instruction to a colleague or third party in order to solve a problem at a time of disruption.

In all cases they will want details of the situation, what you did, how you affected the situation and the outcome that resulted.

If they are not happy with your answer they will ask you specifically for more information, make sure you have something to say. Make sure your examples are sufficiently different to each other and avoid repetition.

The telephone interviews are with recruitment staff and not railway related unless specified, so you can use any scenarios you like as long as they fit the criteria.

I passed my FTPE interviews but for various reasons didn't take the position up, good luck.

DunfordBridge

As wellehatitis said but I would also go on to say that you would explain why you chose your course of action in a given situation.

These telephone interviews are the bane of my life to be honest. I wish the First Group would jack in with using them. I am not sure that any recruitment strategy is totally effective.

As a case in hand, I nearly went flying when I alighted at Northallerton on Saturday on a patch of ice. I informed the conductor, stood quite literally next to me. His response was along the lines of that someone would come along later to deal with it so it was left to me to inform the station staff. I work as a volunteer for the Wensleydale, not the commercial railways as well.

Maybe the First Group could put this example into the conductor SJT as well. I know the SJT well and this example is not one of them.

Be a bonus if the conductor could have spoken warnings about the slip hazard of ice. Totally unexpected as Scarborough station is normally kept free of ice due to the sea air.

Last edited:

bassethound77

Thanks guys are these actual questions that get asked or just a broad idea?
Also I'm quite new to this will this be for a talent pool or will they have said in the advertisement if it is?

Last edited:

DunfordBridge

I do not know about any talent pool but the York vacancy seems to appear quite a bit so maybe not.

I have actually failed my telephone interview last week for a conductor post in another location so it is still fresh in mind. I have also done the driver interview over the telephone but the conductor interview seems to be more in depth and dare I say it, twice the length.

Some of the questions are so long winded, it is hard to remember specific questions but what wellwhatitis seems to ring true, particularly the part about working as a team to solve a specific goal.

The interview was split into three sections: Communication where you have had to use your powers of persuasion. Customer service and finally Teamwork.

Basically, if you describe how you have had to placate the customer from hell, then you have probably got it cracked. Certainly with the latter sections on customer service and team work, the strategy seems to be to use a generic example for the first example then to use a more specific example for the second one.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread somewhat but I remember taking part in an interview, face to face, where I was able to obtain useful feedback after the event. Now all you get is an email with a simple no; you are assessed on three areas but it would not hurt them to say in which of the three areas you failed.

Last edited:

bassethound77

I'm a bit worried about this interview because I can't actually think of an answer for a couple of the above questions and I don't want to lie and make up an answer

DunfordBridge

No idea what you have done in your professional life but maybe there might be some examples in your application form. The interviewer will explain that the examples can be used from outside your working life.

Regarding customer service, you will be asked about going the extra mile, not sure in which of the three areas that you are struggling.

Looking on the bright side, you do not lose one of your conductor lives if you fail but you will not be able to apply for conductor positions within the First Group for a further six months.

bassethound77

How you've gained the co operation of and given instruction to a colleague or third party in order to solve a problem at a time of disruption.
And
How you've handled a situation involving disagreement or conflict.

DunfordBridge

I must admit that these two questions did not come up on my telephone interview as regards a time of disruption but I was asked how I was able to motivate someone and the problems that I encountered. If I was to answer the disruption question, I would explain how I tend to be on call at work when I had to talk a colleague through a computer problem whilst I was waiting for a train in York station. You know how loud those tannoys can be.

As regards conflict, I am never too sure if it is equally beneficial to talk about disputes which you have mediated between different people or whether it is better to be directly involved yourself. I used to be a security guard so I have seen a fair few conflicts but I have also got involved in a conflict between two of my fellow students from my time as a student in HNC Computing, again outside of work.

It helps if you have a good idea beforehand of the questions to be asked. Next time, I will take the example that I used for communication and reserve it for teamwork. When preparing these examples, it might be an idea to score them out of ten against each criteria.

If I could direct a question to wellwhatitis, regarding the conflict scenario, were you actually prompted specifically by the interviewer to talk about conflict or is it something you are expected to mention in the communication section without being promoted as my failure to discuss a conflict situation may have been what let me down last week?

bassethound77

Cheers for the heads up about the motivation question Dunford bridge. He asked me 3 questions and for the life of me cannot remember the first. The second was about giving excellent customer service and the third was about how ive influenced someone. Difficult but I think I did ok. I had notes around me and I'm sure I mentioned some keywords I just can't remember mentioning health and safety so I'm not sure how it will go now.
Last year I passed the same sort of interview, again for First group but it was for bus driver and they let me know I passed the very same day.

DunfordBridge

You are quite welcome, Chris Pick. Out of interest, did they not mention the question about teamwork. It is a bit intense, the conductor interview, but an interesting experience nonetheless. The questions about customer service seem quite similar to the driver interview but I think that is where the similarity ends.

All being well, you should go on to do the Group Bourdon concentration test along with the ticket selling and ticket checking tests. There is also some kind of verbal reasoning test where you have to read several passages and answer multiple choice questions, based on following rules and procedures.

bassethound77

Yeah I remember that was the first question and about 5 other questions about that question. It was quite in depth. The group bourdon test, is that the dots test? Is it best to get as many as you can done or go steady and get them all correct? I think I'd go for steady and correct!

DunfordBridge

You are quite right, the GB test is where you have to recognise patterns of 4 dots as opposed to patterns with 3 or 5 dots. The best policy, as you say, is to go steady and aim for accuracy, just do not go too slow.

Have you downloaded the GB practice tool by the way? If invited to the assessments, you will receive practice material at some point. Personally, the GB practice tool wins hands down any day. The section of the practice material dealing with the GB test seems a little bit too much like a glorified word search for my liking.

bassethound77

No I haven't got the tool but Ill get it. Thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Congratulations

We're pleased to let you know that you have passed your recent telephone interview. We'll be in touch shortly regarding the next steps so please remember to check your emails on a regular basis.

Please note that this pass will remain valid for a period of 6 months from the date the interview took place and will apply to all roles that fall within the same job category.

Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their telephone interview to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket.ot an email today saying this ;

I now have everything crossed that I get through to assessment day, one last thing, what should i be aiming for on the bourdon test.

Last edited:

DunfordBridge

You have done well, I would try and practice as soon as you can. Quite interesting that the interview pass is only valid for six months. Let me know how you get on.

bassethound77

Im practising now but should I not set a time limit as such and just go as fast and as accurate as I can say for 10 mins and just try and get faster. Also is the test for ftpe on computer or paper? Cos I seem faster on computer. I can get 10 lines done with no mistakes in 2 minutes on computer but only 8 lines on paper

DunfordBridge

When I did it over two years ago, it was on a massive piece of paper. I think the best piece of advice that I can give is strive for improvement, by all means, but remember that it is not a race, find a comfortable pace.

Personally, I only do one test for ten minutes at a time as I have already passed it, anything more seems like unnecessary tedium in my case. With the computer, I found that I was inhibited by how quickly I could press the keys, particularly on the sparser sections.

Any news yet, these conductor posts in York do not attract quite so much speculation on these pages?

bassethound77

Just a quick update, ive just had my assessment day and passed the group bourdon test, the raat test, the selling and checking test and the role play. I had the interview last and that is what I'm waiting to find out about, hopefully won't be too long but we will see.
Started off with three of us but ended the day with just me, really pleased I've got this far.
Had my assessment day thought it went ok., started of with 3 of us then after group bourdon test and the RATT test it went down to two ticket checking and selling test went good too then it was role play which I passed and the other lad didn't so I was on my own for the interview which I thought went ok.

Found out today I am through to managers interview on Thursday, which I am quite excited about.
Had my managers Inverview yesterday and I think it went well. Fingers crossed.
Just recieved an email saying I was unsuccessful. Absolutely Gutted.

banksywhoshe

Awwww that really sucks, sounds like you really worked hard and waited a long time for what you wanted. Can you not try northern? Their assessments are better now theres no role play etc

bassethound77

I will when one comes up. Been trying for about 3 years now and really thought I was in this time. Will I have to take assessment again or will my ftpe pass count?
This is the furthest I've ever got. Only got 2 days to revise between assessment and interview so wasnt that good really although it seemed to go ok
Are you a conductor

railgirl

What exactly is the RATT test?

Also, does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of times you can take the test with FTPE?

banksywhoshe

No not yet, am similar to yourself. I've just passed my assessment with northern last week and sat here hoping i've made it to medical. Worried tho as there was 8 of us for two jobs :-/ i applied early feb for a may intake. I think your pass would count. Northern have dropped the role play and interview from their assessment day so you've done more then required. I have to wait for an email sometime this week so got everything crosssed.

bassethound77

What exactly is the RATT test?

Also, does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of times you can take the test with FTPE?

The RATT test is a paragraph of information and you have to say which of Four questions correctly relates to the information

darren111

Hi Chrispick1977, sorry you didn't pass managers interview and I would of thought with you being only candidate to be interviewed you would have got job. Does this mean they will have to advertise for conductor role again?
I have my assessment day on Saturday with East Midland Trains and practising the SCAAT and RAAT practice papers. On practice SCAAT paper the targets are letters are they shapes in real test?
What did you have to do in role play?
What sort of questions were you asked in managers interview and roughly how many did you have to answer?
Any tips for getting through an assessment day?

bassethound77

Sorry for the late reply. I did the group bourdon dots test, in role play I had to sort out the correct ticket to sell and sort out a problem the passenger had. The questions were sort of what would you do if this happened ie passenger with feet up on seats.
As for tips, no one was more nervous than me but just relax and you will be fine trust me.
Let me know how you get on and good luck. Any more questions feel free to ask.

darren111

Hi bassetthound77,
Unfortunately didn't get through to interview stage, because the feedback given was I was to "Overpowering" in group exercise. A few others didn't get through because they were to quiet in group exercise. The tests were being marked on Monday, so decisions were based on how well we did in group exercise. A lady I met there said, this was her second attempt at assessment day as she didn't make it through to interview last time, she made it through second time round and she didn't have to resit SCAAT and RAAT as she passed those first time round.
All in all I had a fantastic day and would do it all again. I am grateful for the experience too.
When we had completed tests we were told that if we didn't do well in them, it wasn't the end of the world and if we did well in group exercise we would be matched to customer host roles for talent pool, but not senior conductor roles, because we all know that we need to pass the tests for that type of role.
Lunch was provided after group exercise and during lunch East Midlands train staff would discuss between them who they were sending home and inviting for interview.
My dream is to be a On board train customer host/customer service assistant serving refreshments and my journey continues to try and break into the railway industry. x

Status
Not open for further replies.