• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee conductor-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie05

TRAINEE CONDUCTOR

hiya all,
I was wondering if any of you lot could shine a light on this for me please.
I applied for trainee conductor and completed the online tests back on the 5th of November,and I’ve not heard anything yet? Am I assuming no news is good news, or is there usually a timescale for these ?
Many thanks. Billie :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Melancholia

10 days to be honest is a very short wait. You should expect to wait to proceed to the next stage (if all online assessment were passed) few weeks, even months in some cases.

However, I wish you good luck. The long wait can sometimes be very annoying.

Last edited:

Feesh

Applied for conductor with my local TOC July 2017, Assessment day Oct 2017, sat in a talent pool passed the final interview last month, start date either Jan or March 2019

Spiderman1

I had assessment 2 weeks ago, interview 7 days after and medical 2 days ago. I was offered post and Stuart training 7/1/19! That is efficient!
Does anybody know the shift patterns/working hours for senior conductor with WMT's?

Established Member
Does anybody know the shift patterns/working hours for senior conductor with WMT's?

4 on 2 off generally. Shift length ranges from 6hrs to 10... different depots, different duties. Every third week is a 5-day weekend. Sundays compulsory for new starters, however only about one in 5 you work, and they don't book them during your long weekend.

TheNewBoy

Can I ask what depot this thread relates to (In particular Spiderman1s post)?

Cheers :)

Spiderman1

4 on 2 off generally. Shift length ranges from 6hrs to 10... different depots, different duties. Every third week is a 5-day weekend. Sundays compulsory for new starters, however only about one in 5 you work, and they don't book them during your long weekend.
Thank you, have you got any idea of start and finish times? I appreciate it can vary quite a bit.

paulwestwood

TRAINEE CONDUCTOR

hiya all,
I was wondering if any of you lot could shine a light on this for me please.
I applied for trainee conductor and completed the online tests back on the 5th of November,and I’ve not heard anything yet? Am I assuming no news is good news, or is there usually a timescale for these ?
Many thanks. Billie :)

Also depends on when the actual closing date for the vacancy is, the online tests results are then passed onto HR who sift through before arranging the main assessment centres.

Established Member
Thank you, have you got any idea of start and finish times? I appreciate it can vary quite a bit.

Reiterate what Paul stated above, all depends on depot.

B New St have 5am to as late as 1am I think, from what I'm told. Crewe can be 3am to 12.40am. Shrews and Wolves have a little shorter range.

You need your own transport or live within walking / cycling distance.

Generally shifts range from 6hrs 30 up to 9hrs 50 depending on where you are going. Spread over the roster, these balance up to about a 35 hour week, working 4 on, 2 off, but every third week is 4 on 5 off. Sunday is outside the week, but new starters have to work one every 4 weeks or so, if there is no-one volunteering to cover it for you (Sundays are compulsory but additional to your pay) - ie after 12mths your pay is £36-37K pa, if you include Sundays.

Spiderman1

I'm genuinely quite excited to get started with training and crack on with it.
I would love to hear from Conductors out there what they feel about the job, good and bad.

Monroe25

I start my conductor training on Monday... very excited and a tad nervous! The process on the whole took a few months for me, with maybe a couple weeks in between each stage... paper sift, online tests, telephone interview and then assessment day. I was put into the talent pool early September, had a phone call at the end of October to sort medical/background checks for a end of November start date. Good Luck with your application :)

Spiderman1

I start my conductor training on Monday... very excited and a tad nervous! The process on the whole took a few months for me, with maybe a couple weeks in between each stage... paper sift, online tests, telephone interview and then assessment day. I was put into the talent pool early September, had a phone call at the end of October to sort medical/background checks for a end of November start date. Good Luck with your application :)
Excellent, keep us posted how the classroom training goes, start mine on 7/01/19. It's interesting to hear the different processes that people have been through. I didn't have online tests or telephone interview. I had application, assessment morning and face to face interview, which was 1 hour and then medical. It's all happened so quickly it's taken me by surprise, hence the questions relating to shifts. I have quite a bit to sort out.
Good luck with it all & hope you enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.