• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver - Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverToBe

I've had the email now, going on the 13th.

It does state interview but I'm also not sure about that.

I've got to do the group bourdon and TEA-OCC (that was the hardest one)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yerman164

Just got an e-mail from Tania. Going to assessments on 13/01 at 8:40am but am only doing the Group Bordon. It also seems to imply that there will be an interview too but not sure about that.

I received a similar email saying I need to sit the Group Bourdon, but I have previously taken all tests including the Group Bourdon with FTPE and passed to enhanced standard so I'm a bit confused.

nick40uk

I received a similar email saying I need to sit the Group Bourdon, but I have previously taken all tests including the Group Bourdon with FTPE and passed to enhanced standard so I'm a bit confused.

I applied for Depot Driver job with EMT out of Nottingham earlier in the year and went straight to interview so I'm confused too

TheRailwayWay

I've been asked to take the stage 1 test on the 4th of March, two months after some others so seems like a strange one.

Ellb123

If anybody gets the practice material come through can you Give us all a heads up just so we know when we're expecting them. Hopefully it'll be soon

yerman164

I was told by Govia I had enhanced scores too.

Very confused, I'd be interested in what they say to you.

I have found out about the situation. Essentially an 'enhanced' pass is defined differently by each TOC. EMT appear to have a very high mark required for an enhanced pass.

My situation is that I have 'enhanced' passes to FTPE standard for every test, but for just the Group Bourdon I do not meet EMT's definition of 'enhanced.'

The OPC have said if I took the Group Bourdon again with EMT and failed, this would replace my previous result and I would no longer be eligible to apply for trainee roles for 6 months and I would then have to take the Group Bourdon again.

I am not risking my current passes that are enough for the vast majority of TOC's so will have to withdraw.

DriverToBe

I have found out about the situation. Essentially an 'enhanced' pass is defined differently by each TOC. EMT appear to have a very high mark required for an enhanced pass.

My situation is that I have 'enhanced' passes to FTPE standard for every test, but for just the Group Bourdon I do not meet EMT's definition of 'enhanced.'

The OPC have said if I took the Group Bourdon again with EMT and failed, this would replace my previous result and I would no longer be eligible to apply for trainee roles for 6 months and I would then have to take the Group Bourdon again.

I am not risking my current passes that are enough for the vast majority of TOC's so will have to withdraw.

Thanks for the update. You make a very good point.

nick40uk

Did you get that information from OPC or from EMT? I got a reply back this morning saying that according to OPC records I didn't pass the Group Bordon and would have to re-sit it. Does this mean I've outright failed or failed to meet the EMT standard? Still confused.

yerman164

Did you get that information from OPC or from EMT? I got a reply back this morning saying that according to OPC records I didn't pass the Group Bordon and would have to re-sit it. Does this mean I've outright failed or failed to meet the EMT standard? Still confused.

Bit of both; EMT said they had my results and that they require an enhanced pass and I definitely needed to take the Group Bourdon with them again.

I found this confusing still because I thought an enhanced pass was the same with every TOC so contacted the OPC. They advised different TOC's have different set scores for what they consider 'enhanced' and confirmed I would be risking my current passes if I retook the Group Bourdon with EMT, as any new result would replace my current pass.

What's odd is that you mentioned you had previously been invited straight to the DMI earlier this year, so EMT must have recently changed the score that they consider an enhanced pass for the Group Bourdon.

nick40uk

Bit of both; EMT said they had my results and that they require an enhanced pass and I definitely needed to take the Group Bourdon with them again.

I found this confusing still because I thought an enhanced pass was the same with every TOC so contacted the OPC. They advised different TOC's have different set scores for what they consider 'enhanced' and confirmed I would be risking my current passes if I retook the Group Bourdon with EMT, as any new result would replace my current pass.

What's odd is that you mentioned you had previously been invited straight to the DMI earlier this year, so EMT must have recently changed the score that they consider an enhanced pass for the Group Bourdon.

That's what I was thinking. That EMT have possibly changed the score required and so what I thought was good enough actually isn't.

I'll contact the OPC and see what they say.

steviebuk

That's what I was thinking. That EMT have possibly changed the score required and so what I thought was good enough actually isn't.

I'll contact the OPC and see what they say.

Been in communication with OPC apparently East Midland Trains require an exceptionally high pass for the assessments. Yermen is spot on with regards to other TOCs enhanced marking being the same throughout! they vary between TOCs

yerman164

What did other people with previous passes decide to do? Is anyone risking taking the tests again to try and meet EMTs standard?

nick40uk

What did other people with previous passes decide to do? Is anyone risking taking the tests again to try and meet EMTs standard?

I'm not sure what to do. I spoke to OPC and they said I had passed to national standards and have met EMTs requirements for everything except for Group Bourdon. They also said that if I fail it will replace my pass.

It's a dilemma because it's a great opportunity but I'm also aware of the consequences if I fail.

DriverToBe

I'm going to retake them, if I don't pass to EMTs standards it's OK as long as I still pass to the basic level or to the level I already have because then I haven't lost anything.
I'm pretty confident I can pass again so I'm more than happy to do it again.

yerman164

Well worth the risk Imo, most operators require a enhanced pass for gb anyway.

The problem is that EMT appear to require more than what other TOC's consider to be an enhanced pass.

I have passes for all the tests and these results are considered to be enhanced by FTPE, but my Group Bourdon result didn't meet EMT's definition of 'enhanced.'

I think it would be a huge risk to retake the Group Bourdon, as whatever result I got would overwrite my previous pass that is considered enhanced by possibly all other TOC's.

Good luck to those of you who are retaking the tests.

MrH

Sounds like there are lots of people going for assessment then, I'm also there on 3.3.16, looking forward to it!!

stevehw

So let me get this right, I have previously passed the GB and as has been said most of us have to resit this due to the high pass mark required by EMT. If we match or beat our previous score but it is still not high enough to pass then we fail this stage for EMT, but our score will still be recorded at OPC as what it is. So this, probably, would be enough for most TOC'S and if applying in the future would, probably once again, be enough for us not to have to sit this again. Or, would it just go down as a fail and you wouldn't be able to apply for any other Driver jobs within the 6 months. Just that I've applied for Trainee Train Driver at Leeds with Northern, not got anything back as only closed yesterday but wouldn't want to risk not being able to attend this if offered. Thanks in advance.

steviebuk

Has anyone else been asked to attend from 12.40pm? Seems late on in the day to arrive for assessments.

DriverToBe

So this, probably, would be enough for most TOC'S and if applying in the future would, probably once again, be enough for us not to have to sit this again. Or, would it just go down as a fail and you wouldn't be able to apply for any other Driver jobs within the 6 months.

This is my worry too, I did ask the OPC but didn't really get an answer that cleared it up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
look forward to seeing you there driver to be.

Is yours on the 13th?

steviebuk

This is my worry too, I did ask the OPC but didn't really get an answer that cleared it up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Is yours on the 13th?

Yes mate apparently they are assessing 150 peeps over the 3days..

Last edited:

stevehw

Yeah I'm at 12.40 on the 13th too. Gonna ring OPC on the 4th to try and get a bit of clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.