• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver and conductor jobs in Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

citycat

There are tons of trainee driver and conductor jobs.........

If you can speak Dutch and are legally able to work in the European Union in The Netherlands.

It's funny what a difference there is between the UK and Holland. In the UK, every vacancy is usually over subscribed by a few hundred applicants. In Holland, there are tons of vacancies and no one is interested. I was on a Dutch train the other evening and on the rolling display screen amongst all the other information like station stops etc, were all the vacancies for trainee drivers and conductors and their locations. Even though the trains in Holland are smart with new ICNG units being introduced in 2024, plus the chance for drivers to move to NS international after a year or two to drive Eurostar and Thalys TGV's as far as Brussels, or drive DB ICE trains all the way to Cologne or Frankfurt I believe, or drive the NS Vectron locomotives hauling the NightJet services to Vienna and Innsbruck as far as Cologne West, or the locomotive hauled Amsterdam to Berlin services as far as Bad Bentheim, people are not interested it seems.

I know there is a big pay disparity between what you get paid in the UK and Holland but it is still around 35 to 40k. So you have to ask yourself are you just chasing the money, or do you want to drive trains for a career?

Maybe some people on here speak Dutch due to a parent(s), and are legally able to work in the EE. If so, head over to the NS website and see what there is. You will probably be put straight through to the psychometric stage with out any of that pre selective online tests nonsense that they have in the UK to whittle down applicants.

Good luck !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Lol.. I think I'd get about as far as kaartjes alstublieft...

Dank u wel.

anglian96

Yep just for the money for me. Also a good career to have but I Have no Interest in trains at all

Last edited:

James185

I'm due to start a trainee driver course very shortly and I'm currently a Conductor at a UK TOC. I have no interest in the money at all. I simply enjoy working on the railway as I have an interest in trains.

I have noticed that German train drivers also receive a lower salary compared to their UK counterparts.

I'm still surprised to see Nederlandse Spoorwegen struggle to recruit for these roles though. Perhaps it's shift work that is off putting for potential applicants?

I have read previously that in the days of British Rail in some regions they struggled to recruit due to lower pay and that the railway was rarely considered a desirable place to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.