• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - Can I apply elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamess115

Hi Folks

I am sending out an application despite being accepted for a first stage assessment with another TOC.

FCC (for eg) say an individual is not eligible to apply if they have taken a trainee driver assessment within the last 6 months. However this may not be the case with all TOC's but equally, I know there is a 6 month rule if you have taken an assessment and mucked it up.

Can anyone clarify for me whether I am allowed to apply to another TOC after accepting an invitation to attend an assessment elsewhere? OR does this just depend on each TOC's requirements?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Latecomer

Absolutely you can. Potential employers can't restrict you in that way. In fact, before I took up my current position I had applied to one TOC and been advised that they would be back in touch regarding assessment as the first training pool had been filled. A few months went by and I applied to another company and was accepted and put for assessment almost straight away.

TOC's clearly keep an eye on assessments as cheekily the first company I applied for rang me within a week of me successfully passing assessments with company 2 saying "Oh we notice you have now passed all your assessments" trying to offer me a manager interview before I had one with the company that had paid for my assessments! I thought this was pretty cheeky but I was in a bit of a dilemma so stalled them. Happily I was employed by the second company which had better T&C's all round.

Last edited:

jamess115

Thanks for your reply 'latecomer'. However, FCC do make it crystal clear that if you have taken a trainee drivers assessment within the preceding 6 months, you cannot apply.

You yourself said that the TOC's keep an eye on who has had an assessment (per your example of job offers), so I am thinking they may not be able to prevent you from applying, but they can find out if you have one coming up.

In the case of FCC, they would then presumably rule out your application and you have then effectively wasted your time.

Am I wrong?

Latecomer

Like I say I don't really see how FCC could limit peoples options in that manner. If you mucked up an assessment then yes that restricts your ability to apply again for 6 months, but you haven't. It would be an impossible situation if you constantly had to wait on the progress of one company before applying to another - especially if the original company drags their feet. I see where you are coming from but why not ring them to clarify? They probably would want to make sure that they don't start an expensive assessment process with them only to accept an offer of employment elsewhere as you can't take the assessment twice in that 6 months. If anything it would save them some money if you end up having an assessment with another company because all they would need to do is carry out any individual assessments they require.

If it was me though I wouldn't even ring and I would apply to them and only inform them if you end up being actually assessed by another TOC. You have not actually undertaken another assessment at the point of applying so you are not lying. If you pass assessments elsewhere then you are in a strong position to either achieve a trainee place with the original company, or failing that to get back in touch with FCC and say "here I am, all assessments complete". If you did that as soon as you passed then you are making an open disclosure and the ball is in their court. I don't really see what you have to lose aside from potentially the effort taken to complete the FCC application - which is nothing in relation to the bigger picture of trying to acquire a very scarce £45-£50k job!

Shrub Hill

I think they mean if you have failed! I would Apply to them all pal

The way it works is this! They have a conveyor belt of applicants at different stages, as people pass through the system places get filled! When they have enough trainees they stop the recruitment! This could leave some people having passed all the assessments but with no job! However, if you then apply somewhere else you are further up the chain and have a chance of getting one of the seats available! This is how I got my job, I had passed everything with first group but didn't get anywhere! Applied to another toc, had an interview and done

The recruitment process for companies is a very expensive process and they do not want to hang around endlessly interviewing and testing people, if you are good enough and there are seats they will offer you a position!

The easiest way to get ahead in my opinion is to do the private assessments with DB schenker at Doncaster! Yes you have to pay but it could be the best investment you make and will leapfrog you In front of everyone else waiting for the companies to sit them through the exams!

I used to believe that they added up the scores and took the best candidates! Half hour with HR changed all that

The fact you have passed some assessments puts you ahead of others applying elsewhere! Get your name down, have a go and be prepared to move house if needs be!

Best thing you will ever do! Best of luck

jamess115

Cheers chaps. I must be a bit slow as I assumed the trainee driver assessment was unique to each TOC. If you are saying to me that this can be used as a tool to obtain driver employment with other firms, then I agree there is nothing to lose by completing the application. Fair enough.

I appreciate you responding; but just a quickie, Do you happen to know if the Eurotunnel trainee driver assessment is transferable in the same way as other TOC's? I only ask because so many people on here have highlighted how a Eurotunnel driver is not the same work as a High-Speed Train driver.

Thank you

md-uk

I queried it too, it's badly worded, but I sat and passed Eurotunnel assessments, but wasn't offered a position. I recently sat a couple more that Eurotunnel don't make you sit and have been offered a position. I think if you pass them but don't get a job, you are free to take them to another TOC and apply. They may look favourably on you as you may have passed all the testing, and jump straight to DM inteview.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

jamess115

I queried it too, it's badly worded, but I sat and passed Eurotunnel assessments, but wasn't offered a position. I recently sat a couple more that Eurotunnel don't make you sit and have been offered a position. I think if you pass them but don't get a job, you are free to take them to another TOC and apply. They may look favourably on you as you may have passed all the testing, and jump straight to DM inteview.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you

Louby

How much are the tests ? And,can you point me in the right direction to them please

Waikikibaby

I found this information on the FirstGroup website:

"If an application has been unsuccessful, you cannot apply for a job in the same job category within 3 months. If you have been unsuccessful at an assessment or interview you cannot apply for a job in the same job category within 6 months. You can however apply for jobs that are under a different job category. For all current vacancies please visit our website at www.firstgroupcareers.com"

Trne123

"If an application has been unsuccessful, you cannot apply for a job in the same job category within 3 months. If you have been unsuccessful at an assessment or interview you cannot apply for a job in the same job category within 6 months. You can however apply for jobs that are under a different job category. For all current vacancies please visit our website at www.firstgroupcareers.com"

I wonder if the 3 / 6 months starts from the original application date or the date you are informed of unsuccessful attempt. Am guessing fail date?

jamess115

I have to say that I think First Group's policy on this is harsh, yet I can see why they do it. Failing an assessment and being ineligible to reapply for the same job cat within 6 months is fair enough as that is related to aptitude but for the interview aswell? Anyone can flunk an interview.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.