• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Interview - Northern Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futurerail86

Anyone else heard anything more on dates for medical and assessment? I’m still waiting...where are they being held also?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dec_10

Mine’s in Doncaster. I also know of someone else who’s assessment day is on the same week the week commencing 10th Sept.

Futurerail86

Hmm I am still waiting...still not sorted dates yet which is very strange if you already have been booked in...:|

TheBadger

I'm waiting for an assessment date too for the Newcastle job. They seem to be progressing everything in waves. I wouldn't read too much into someone getting a date ahead of you.

Futurerail86

Yes I suppose you are right. Still not heard anything...Anybody had the assessment or medical yet how did they go?

Carl

I had an assessment and medical mid September which I have passed. Been given a start date of 5th November. The HR department does seem a little wayward at the moment, hold tight guys and i'm sure you'll be updated soon...

Futurerail86

Congratulations Carl well done pal! I have been informed of an assessment for 18th/19th October waiting for confirmation.

You heard anything Stujones?

Congratulations Carl well done pal! I have been informed of an assessment for 18th/19th October waiting for confirmation.

I too have an assessment on the 18th. The email I received said similar with regards to it may be 18th or 19th, before I received the email I'd spoken to somebody in HR and was confirmed on the 18th at Doncaster.

Good luck =]

stujones

No still not heard anything pal! How did everyone do today hope you all smashed it. Is anyone else still waiting on assessment?

Hi Stu.

Myself and one other person passed yesterday where I was at, although his assessment was for a different company.

No medical date as of yet.

Hopefully you'll hear something soon!

Futurerail86

How are people getting on with this role? Anyone had their stage 2 assessments this week in Manchester? stujones did you have your first stage assessment yet?

How are people getting on with this role? Anyone had their stage 2 assessments this week in Manchester? stujones did you have your first stage assessment yet?

I have a start date now in December after completing the medical last week. I believe there are also courses starting in January so some may start to hear something!

NorvernRob

Is anyone else at the assessment day in Manchester on the 20th? Im there but it’s for a Sheffield position, I wondered if they’d have applicants from different locations attending.

TheBadger

It could well be mixed. Mine had both Newcastle and Manchester on the same day.

stujones

Hi guys,

Got an assessment date for Jan, been told it’s in Manchester but could possibly change has anyone started yet?

Futurerail86

I have a start date now in December after completing the medical last week. I believe there are also courses starting in January so some may start to hear something!

Congrats pal well done. Quick turn around. I passed medical three weeks ago on the day. December course was full for me. I have not heard back off northern still so no idea what’s happening...if there are course in January I would like to hear something soon due to working notice etc!!

JoshT10

I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with an updated email address for HR at Northern? I have an HR@northernrail email address but I'm not sure if this is still used since all vacancies are now advertised on the DB website? Cheers

Congrats pal well done. Quick turn around. I passed medical three weeks ago on the day. December course was full for me. I have not heard back off northern still so no idea what’s happening...if there are course in January I would like to hear something soon due to working notice etc!!

Thanks mate and congrats to you too, it's a big achievement to get through the selection process I'm sure many will agree .

My advice would be to keep getting on to HR. I myself proactively tried to keep informed with what was going on and things eventually started to move at a quick pace.

Good luck with it all mate :)

Last edited:

Futurerail86

Hi guys,

Got an assessment date for Jan, been told it’s in Manchester but could possibly change has anyone started yet?

Well done finally pal good luck with the assessments, You can practice the dots test whilst eating your turkey :lol:<:D

Thanks mate and congrats to you too, it's a big achievement to get through the selection process I'm sure many will agree .

My advice would be to keep getting on to HR. I myself proactively tried to keep informed with what was going on and things eventually started to move at a quick pace.

Good luck with it all mate :)

Cheers pal yes it definitely it is an achievement especially when you come onto a place like this and realise how many people are trying! Well I have been contacted now and looking to start in January excited is an understatement!! My Turkey should go down well :D

Aivilo

you can still get them on hr@northernrail bare in mind how busy they actually are and will no doubt shut up shop over the festive period.

I do believe there are two courses January and one February 18th. No doubt one a month going forward also

Kimbob

Hi - the best thing I advise to do is look through all the recent threads on here regarding Northern Trainee Train Driver postions.

I did the same thing and there is some really helpful and relevant tips and advice regarding what you need to putting on the application form. It’s all about evidencing skills/aptitudes relevant to the role of a train driver.

I imagine working internally you’ll be able to get your hands on an application form to familiarise yourself with it. I would then start listing numerous examples for each compentecy question and then have an application form ready for the next up and coming vacancy as the jobs are normally only advertised for a matter of days.

Just makesure you’re exampling all the skills and criteria relevant to the role and to the job spec.
Cheers for the info really helpful

owen306

Cheers for the info really helpful
I filled in my Application and it only asked me my works experience, qualifications etc and to upload a covering letter....Have i missed sections? Thank you.

Kimbob

I filled in my Application and it only asked me my works experience, qualifications etc and to upload a covering letter....Have i missed sections? Thank you.
That's all I got too and the cover letter I thought it was short an to the point not repeat your cv and what you have accomplished? Am I wrong any clue anyone ?? If your sell yourself on the cover letter you would be twiddling your thumbs at the interview stage ...any help appreciated

owen306

That's all I got too and the cover letter I thought it was short an to the point not repeat your cv and what you have accomplished? Am I wrong any clue anyone ?? If your sell yourself on the cover letter you would be twiddling your thumbs at the interview stage ...any help appreciated
I rang HR and they said everything i submitted was ok. You have done everything fine mate. Just a waiting game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.