• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Job app Education

dno8899

Hi

I am currently filling in the trainee driver application with Northern. When it comes to Education I cannot remember for the life of me what qualifications I got at school. I know I definitely didn't get a 'C' or above in Math or English. I am 39 years old and have no proof what I got. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you put? Do they check?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrysalis

Hi

I am currently filling in the trainee driver application with Northern. When it comes to Education I cannot remember for the life of me what qualifications I got at school. I know I definitely didn't get a 'C' or above in Math or English. I am 39 years old and have no proof what I got. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you put? Do they check?

Thanks
I don't think they're asking for actual grades, providing you passed, but rather the level of the qualification/s (e.g. A levels, undergraduate etc).

I had to upload evidence of having the required qualifications in a LNER application last year. It's the only time I've been asked for evidence when applying for a trainee driver role.
I was at school in Scotland and there is a unified system to look up your school grades online via the Scottish Qualification Authority website - I can see my school results from 1996!
There might be a similar system for your exam authority associated with your school, but you might not need it in the end.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It will most likely be for an Apprenticeship. A lot of TOCs are now asking for grades so they can enroll you.

TreacleMiller

Yes, you will be asked for evidence of your grades. If you can't evidence the grade you'll likely be doing a top up course on top of your driver training.

I work for another TOC but also had an offer from Northern. They wanted the certificates before sending me for a medical.

Not ideal.

Not sure what they would do if you can't find any of them.

Aviator88

I don't think they're asking for actual grades, providing you passed, but rather the level of the qualification/s (e.g. A levels, undergraduate etc).

The 'C or above' requirement in Maths/English/ICT is pursuant to the apprenticeship element of the course, for which the TOC receives a government grant.

Most operators prefer this, but they will also help you achieve functional skills in these subjects as part of the apprenticeship if you don't have them.

Avanti did these checks whilst people were waiting in the talent pool.

Chrysalis

The 'C or above' requirement in Maths/English/ICT is pursuant to the apprenticeship element of the course, for which the TOC receives a government grant.

Most operators prefer this, but they will also help you achieve functional skills in these subjects as part of the apprenticeship if you don't have them.

Avanti did these checks whilst people were waiting in the talent pool.
Doesn't C or above just equate a pass anyway? As in, it's not the grade that matters, just that you've passed? I apologise if I'm wrong, I'm actually not British and still don't understand 100% how your school system works.

Aviator88

Doesn't C or above just equate a pass anyway? As in, it's not the grade that matters, just that you've passed? I apologise if I'm wrong, I'm actually not British and still don't understand 100% how your school system works.

Pretty much. Sometimes a 'D' is considered a 'low pass' academically, but almost all jobs/course entry requirements I've ever seen in the UK ask for 'C or above' when it comes to demonstrating a basic working knowledge of the subject.

This applies to GCSEs only (secondary education/age 11-16). A Levels (age 16-18) are only really taken if a higher education course (such as a degree) requires it. For these, it works on a points system, where an 'A' is worth so much, 'B' a little less and so on. The institution will say you need a certain number of points to secure a place.

Going off on a bit of a tangent there, but hopefully that goes some way to explaining how things work here!

Chrysalis

Pretty much. Sometimes a 'D' is considered a 'low pass' academically, but almost all jobs/course entry requirements I've ever seen in the UK ask for 'C or above' when it comes to demonstrating a basic working knowledge of the subject.

This applies to GCSEs only (secondary education/age 11-16). A Levels (age 16-18) are only really taken if a higher education course (such as a degree) requires it. For these, it works on a points system, where an 'A' is worth so much, 'B' a little less and so on. The institution will say you need a certain number of points to secure a place.

Going off on a bit of a tangent there, but hopefully that goes some way to explaining how things work here!
Thanks for explaining. Where I'm from it's very difficult to get a job without the equivalent to A levels. Literally any job, like cleaning bathrooms or working at the till at a supermarket. It works much better here, I must say.

Aviator88

Thanks for explaining. Where I'm from it's very difficult to get a job without the equivalent to A levels. Literally any job, like cleaning bathrooms or working at the till at a supermarket. It works much better here, I must say.

Really? That's crazy.

So you'd potentially need to understand hyperbolic functions and the Poisson Distribution, as well as multivariable calculus, in order to be considered as a toilet attendant?

Chrysalis

Really? That's crazy.

So you'd potentially need to understand hyperbolic functions and the Poisson Distribution, as well as multivariable calculus, in order to be considered as a toilet attendant?
Yes, as well as having a pretty good understanding of classical literature and history... But we're going a bit off topic now.

philberto

If you have lost your results or can't find them you will need to contact the examing board to get them sent as certificates for proof, If you eventually pass all the train tests and get to that stage further down the line. Normally AQA or Edexel or both in my case.