• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Recruitment Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverTests

Going to sit the final part of the Scotrail Trainee Driver recruitment process this week, anyone got any pointers for the following exercises:

Situational Judgement Exercise

The WAFV Vigilance Test

The ATAVT Perception Test

The 2 Hand Co-Ordination Test

Multi-Modal Interview

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ESONEULB

So you have had your MMI interview and your DMI interview?

You said this is your last part.

Oh & a Medical?

:D?

ESONEULB

Ok.

MMI = 6 situational judgement questions you will be asked on the assessment day.

Have been given the info pack for the assessment day?

DriverTests

Ok.

MMI = 6 situational judgement questions you will be asked on the assessment day.

Have been given the info pack for the assessment day?

Yeah mate, just going through it just now. Just hoping for some pointers lol.

OneLowban

The WAFV Vigilance Test
Don’t fall asleep. o_O

Try to scan each quadrant of the image as it pops up as it is really very quick. I found doing this helped cause even if I didn’t actually see it at the time, I saw the whole picture and somethings things I didn’t think I saw would register after the picture had gone or after moving to the next quadrant.

This is really about speed and accuracy. If you go out of the lines don’t give up as it’s about how quickly you get back on track too. But also you want to go too slow, there really is a fine balance.

Multi-Modal Interview
You get 25 mins to read the questions and write down the answers which is a plus.

Think of examples where you can give details if you can as they will ask a lot about details, how you felt, why you did things etc. Which also brings me to say don’t make things up if you can help it as you will likely crumble under the pressure of trying to think on your feet at lighting speeds to keep up with the assessor of which it will become obvious to them you are telling porkies.

I would also suggest before writing any answers down, skim through the questions and answer the ones that you know you have a clear answer for right away, that will give you time to focus on the harder questions. Make bullet points for quicker notes on the answers.

Best of luck.

DriverTests

The WAFV Vigilance Test
Don’t fall asleep. o_O

Try to scan each quadrant of the image as it pops up as it is really very quick. I found doing this helped cause even if I didn’t actually see it at the time, I saw the whole picture and somethings things I didn’t think I saw would register after the picture had gone or after moving to the next quadrant.

This is really about speed and accuracy. If you go out of the lines don’t give up as it’s about how quickly you get back on track too. But also you want to go too slow, there really is a fine balance.

Multi-Modal Interview
You get 25 mins to read the questions and write down the answers which is a plus.

Think of examples where you can give details if you can as they will ask a lot about details, how you felt, why you did things etc. Which also brings me to say don’t make things up if you can help it as you will likely crumble under the pressure of trying to think on your feet at lighting speeds to keep up with the assessor of which it will become obvious to them you are telling porkies.

I would also suggest before writing any answers down, skim through the questions and answer the ones that you know you have a clear answer for right away, that will give you time to focus on the harder questions. Make bullet points for quicker notes on the answers.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Thanks For That

ESONEULB

The WAFV Vigilance Test
Don’t fall asleep. o_O

Multi-Modal Interview

Best of luck.

Perception Test test don't guess

Vigilance Test. Blink in time with the test

Speed is more important.

:D

Daz1310

Can anyone help with the DMI interview, what sort of things do you get asked?

DriverTests

Can anyone help with the DMI interview, what sort of things do you get asked?

Your Background?

Why are you applying for the role?

What would the role entail?

Positives and Negatives of the role?

Examples of rules and procedures being followed?

Company Info? How many services a day, amount of staff, other TOCs they operate, Company Values.

Depot Info? Routes & Traction

Fatality? How would you deal with it and what help is available.

Hope this helps

Maximillion

Your Background?

Why are you applying for the role?

What would the role entail?

Positives and Negatives of the role?

Examples of rules and procedures being followed?

Company Info? How many services a day, amount of staff, other TOCs they operate, Company Values.

Depot Info? Routes & Traction

Fatality? How would you deal with it and what help is available.

Hope this helps

They expect you to know the rules and regulations or how you follow rules and regulations?

Maximillion

Examples of you following any rules and procedures. (Previous jobs etc. Showing that you can, and will)

Cheers wasnt sure as weve been told NOT to visit any depots so most of my job research has been online based... still trying to find the full role of train driver although some comments on here suggest if youve made every effort that is what they are after..

OneLowban

Cheers wasnt sure as weve been told NOT to visit any depots so most of my job research has been online based... still trying to find the full role of train driver although some comments on here suggest if youve made every effort that is what they are after..
Yeah I think research regarding which routes and depots etc will be enough. The rules and procedures you will learn but they just want examples of you following them as there are shedloads on the railway.

Sorry what do you mean by the full role?

Maximillion

Yeah I think research regarding which routes and depots etc will be enough. The rules and procedures you will learn but they just want examples of you following them as there are shedloads on the railway.

Sorry what do you mean by the full role?

All the things a train driver is expected to do pre checks etc.
I can only also think of fatigue as the only con, the thought of the shift work is actually appealing to me.

Last edited:

Daz1310

On the positive and negative side of the role what do you generally say as surely making a negative could shoot you in the foot

Maximillion

On the positive and negative side of the role what do you generally say as surely making a negative could shoot you in the foot

I actually thought that also.
IMO if I looked at what could be considered negatives I wouldn’t apply.
Without actually being in the role and as a prospective trainee, you’d need to go in open minded, what some portray as negatives you may not, some people mention fatigue and repetitive, Fatigue is easily managed by lifestyle choices.. as for repetitive what job isn’t if you keep yourself alert doing RTC then there is ways of keeping your mind focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.