• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver roles DB Cargo Perterlee and Dollands Moor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TW3M

Thanks!! Gonna apply as soon I get in from work, hopefully that’s not too late lol!

Sr123

What’s the difference between the apprenticeship and trainee driver?
What’s the salary?

C001

It’s junior driver .. which is 29,240 .. apprenticeship leads to drivers job but u get put through the railway college as well I THINK!

I start in 2 weeks as junior driver, you do full drivers course at school, then 75hours handling , back in the yard to work by yourself , then do the other 75hours when they are ready to put you on mainline driver .

Stigy

Established Member
What’s the difference between the apprenticeship and trainee driver?
What’s the salary?
Apprenticeship will be the same as a trainee in terms of training. It’s just a lot of companies have started to have apprenticeships so you in effect get a qualification. Downside is you need grades A to C GCSEs, as has been mentioned in another thread, a functional skills equivalent is often okay instead, but you may have to obtain this yourself (some companies will put you through these tests once you’ve started, as I believe NWR do.

saracen

It’s just a lot of companies have started to have apprenticeships so you in effect get a qualification.

Most likely because the company can have some of the training costs covered by the government

Most likely because the company can have some of the training costs covered by the government

Actually companies with that have a wage bill over a certain amount (5 million I think) have to pay an apprentice levy which they can use to pay for training, however if they don't use it, they lose it! So it's in their own interest to take on apprentices if they can so they can use some of their own money.

Atishyou

It’s junior driver .. which is 29,240 .. apprenticeship leads to drivers job but u get put through the railway college as well I THINK!

I start in 2 weeks as junior driver, you do full drivers course at school, then 75hours handling , back in the yard to work by yourself , then do the other 75hours when they are ready to put you on mainline driver .

I'd be surprised if you only do 75 then another 75 at a later date. All juniors in my local area have had to do the full 150 + simulator on top of any hours completed to pass out as a Junior.

Happy to be be corrected.

deanmachine

How long's Peterlee been in Northumberland for? Also didn't realise there was any rail infrastructure in Peterlee apart from the Durham Coast line running through Horden? Or maybe the classroom stuff based at East Durham College.

C001

I'd be surprised if you only do 75 then another 75 at a later date. All juniors in my local area have had to do the full 150 + simulator on top of any hours completed to pass out as a Junior.

Happy to be be corrected.

It is 75+ 75 but some have gone on to be mainline straight away... just depends how much they need mainline drivers at particular hubs .

tbh think if your staying as a junior it’s down to managers discretion how many you do as long as you hit 75 before working in yard by yourself .

HJohnson088

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.care...ent-Pool-North-East-Tees-Yard-Tyne-Yard/44639

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.care...ce-Talent-Pool-South-Kent-Dollands-Moor/44629

Two trainee jobs one in the North East, one in Kent. Advert states you need to already live within an hour of either depot, no relocation.

Wow! Did anyone proof-read the 'Perterlee' posting?
Assuming they mean 'Peterlee', then it's not in Northumberland, for a start.

Some select quotes:
"In return we offer our employee’s an excellent benefits package"
"Hold a GCSE grade C or above in Math’s and English"

How long's Peterlee been in Northumberland for? Also didn't realise there was any rail infrastructure in Peterlee apart from the Durham Coast line running through Horden? Or maybe the classroom stuff based at East Durham College.

The description for the 'Perterlee' position says that:
"You live within a one hour commuting distance from the pin point hub location - Dollands Moor"
"You must live within an hour of Perterlee, SR8 2EL"
Which is physically impossible.

Atishyou

It is 75+ 75 but some have gone on to be mainline straight away... just depends how much they need mainline drivers at particular hubs .

tbh think if your staying as a junior it’s down to managers discretion how many you do as long as you hit 75 before working in yard by yourself .

Of the 11 I know they've done 40. A further 8 have gone on to do their mainline hours. They're not doing an extra 110. They're doing 150 + simulator, but I only see them every day, so what do I know.

The ones doing 75 hours are at depots where they cross the mainline.

It's a minimum of that amount, but where people needed to do 40, in many cases, they hit lots more than that due to their shifts. If your mentor driver doesn't think you're ready, they'll tell your manager.

C001

Of the 11 I know they've done 40. A further 8 have gone on to do their mainline hours. They're not doing an extra 110. They're doing 150 + simulator, but I only see them every day, so what do I know.

The ones doing 75 hours are at depots where they cross the mainline.

It's a minimum of that amount, but where people needed to do 40, in many cases, they hit lots more than that due to their shifts. If your mentor driver doesn't think you're ready, they'll tell your manager.

Ah that’s they key then ... I will be at a depot with 4 mainline signals .. so you’ve answered question there for both of us why we know 2 different stories lol

Stigy

Established Member
Any reason why DB don’t allow LASER eye surgery but other TOC’s/FOC’s don’t seem to have a issue with it?
A few TOCs have issues with it. I noticed on the latest FirstGroup driver vacancies that TPE don’t allow it.

C001

A few TOCs have issues with it. I noticed on the latest FirstGroup driver vacancies that TPE don’t allow it.

scotrail don’t either I’m sure .. tbh thought there was hardly any that did .. can’t understand why they don’t allow it if it creates better vision and you have a medical after .. never fancied it my self , hard enough having the balls to go to dentist !

Stigy

Established Member
scotrail don’t either I’m sure .. tbh thought there was hardly any that did .. can’t understand why they don’t allow it if it creates better vision and you have a medical after .. never fancied it my self , hard enough having the balls to go to dentist !
Some TOCs allow it as long as the surgery was more than a year previous I believe? Presumably because there can be side effects or issues with deterioration? Like you I’ve never fancied it myself....the thought makes me cringe so I’ll stick with my glasses which have done me okay for the past 32 years (not the same ones, obviously :)).

ChrisRS

Laser eye surgery isn't a permanent fix and usually begins to deteriorate after a couple of years, around the 5 year mark. You could pass a medical with perfect vision however later down the line your eyes begin to slowly get worse, you may not notice that you need to start wearing glasses again and could be a risk to yourself and others.

Laser eye surgery isn't a permanent fix and usually begins to deteriorate after a couple of years, around the 5 year mark. You could pass a medical with perfect vision however later down the line your eyes begin to slowly get worse, you may not notice that you need to start wearing glasses again and could be a risk to yourself and others.

How would they be more of a risk than someone who hadn't had laser eye surgery whose eyes started to deteriorate because of age for example? I think people generally recognise when their sight deteriorates but whether they choose to do anything about it is another matter, and one of personal responsibilty

C001

Some TOCs allow it as long as the surgery was more than a year previous I believe? Presumably because there can be side effects or issues with deterioration? Like you I’ve never fancied it myself....the thought makes me cringe so I’ll stick with my glasses which have done me okay for the past 32 years (not the same ones, obviously :)).

I’ve had same glasses for about 30 years

25 pairs of new lenses
And 19 new frames :)

whoosh

Established Member
Regarding laser eye surgery:
The railway moves with the times at a snail's pace. It took until about the millennium I think, to get the wearing of contact lenses accepted. At one stage you could fly Concorde wearing contact lenses, but couldn't shunt some wagons in a siding.

MRIGuy

Wow! Did anyone proof-read the 'Perterlee' posting?
Assuming they mean 'Peterlee', then it's not in Northumberland, for a start.

Some select quotes:
"In return we offer our employee’s an excellent benefits package"
"Hold a GCSE grade C or above in Math’s and English"

The description for the 'Perterlee' position says that:
"You live within a one hour commuting distance from the pin point hub location - Dollands Moor"
"You must live within an hour of Perterlee, SR8 2EL"
Which is physically impossible.

Hi new member.

I'm interested in applying for the position in the northeast however the location is confusing. I may be wrong but the main footprint DB has in the North East will be Tyne Yard and Tees Port.

With DB is it normal to be allocated a fixed location of work or are you likely to work between sites?

Atishyou

Hi new member.

I'm interested in applying for the position in the northeast however the location is confusing. I may be wrong but the main footprint DB has in the North East will be Tyne Yard and Tees Port.

With DB is it normal to be allocated a fixed location of work or are you likely to work between sites?

Work between sites nowadays.

MRIGuy

Work between sites nowadays.
Cheers! I suppose the choice of post code used on the advert might now reflect a middle ground between both sites (Tees Port & Tyne Yard) ? Ironically the post code does return a point on the A19.

Last edited:

C001

Hi new member.

It’s hubs they call it .. so you work from a centre point on a map .. Example one depots centre point is a service station on the m6 I think it is ... and they can drive up to 30 minutes from that too book on .. I will be Cumbria hub .. so my centre point is Carlisle station .. but I will book on at kingmoor depot a lot .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.