• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver vacancies DBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExTankieAaron

DBS don't reply to emails...or at least they haven't to any I've sent. Starting to think mine never got there as I sent it from a military computer. Oh well :)

DII... ooo very risky its never ever worked for me in the past... unless you have privileges on it haha ie for me borrowing ssgt login haha but that was just for internet browsing.

and its not that people are impatient its were super keen to get going!!

Aaron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred Dinenage

seems like all these wannabe drivers aren't too patient .
maybe the railway ain't the job for you ?

Nothing like sweeping, generalised statements, is there? Out of 1000s of applicants a handful are getting a little impatient. Are you a typical example of a driver? Were you born in the cab of a loco, or did you once aspire to be a driver too, and have to go through an application process? Probably not for reasons to do with financial gain either, unlike us greedy sods.

Why the disdain?

mr double 77

DBS don't reply to emails...or at least they haven't to any I've sent. Starting to think mine never got there as I sent it from a military computer. Oh well :)

Don't get disheartened guys, it is a little frustrating but the way too look at it is we're one fish in a very big pond, I've recently gone through the application process and found DB Schenker to be very good, they told you as soon as anything had changed with your application.
Also debadzuk79 you are correct they don't send a email regarding receipt of application, the first acknowledgment I received was the practice material with letter informing you when and were you had to be, it was then 13 days I received a phone call inviting me too DM interview which was 7 days later, it's at this stage you want to phone email just get some news, but as previously said they have a lot on, I know that one member of the HR department is on leave at the moment, so just imagine the work load left for 1 HR member of staff, I received the greatest phone call ever a week ago Friday and medical is booked for the 23rd of this month start date is 6th October, I'm very excited and looking fwd to it, this will be Mainline at Peak Forrest, I've had my knockbacks in the past but kept plugging away at it.
Also just a quick note to Extankie there's a comment on here you posted which certain people would not agree is the right way to come across, especially if the Toc/Focs have there HR department monitoring future employees, as reading Freightliners thread they are, I'm not having a go just trying to give some advise to you also best of luck to yourself and everyone else who is looking to grab this fantastic opportunity.

debadzuk79

DII... ooo very risky its never ever worked for me in the past... unless you have privileges on it haha ie for me borrowing ssgt login haha but that was just for internet browsing.

and its not that people are impatient its were super keen to get going!!

Aaron.

Haha. I have privelidges but still not certain it got there even though it says 'sent' and it hasn't been returned. Just have to wait and see I guess.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And thanks fir the reassuring reply MrDouble. Have every intention of waiting it out. I'm in no rush....just wondered why some had got emails and others not but I fully appreciate they must be really inundated. Cheers and good luck to all involved.

#1 driver

Nothing like sweeping, generalised statements, is there?Are you a typical example of a driver? Were you born in the cab of a loco, or did you once aspire to be a driver too, and have to go through an application process? Probably not for reasons to do with financial gain either, unlike us greedy sods.

Why the disdain?

Add a smiley then to avoid looking superior.

pot .
kettle .
black .

ExTankieAaron

Mr double 77,

i have gone through my post to the last freightliner forum on here and im not sure exactly what you mean so could you please elaborate for me so i can not do it in future.

Yes military types do get humour but ours is... well... weird and disturbing haha to your average joe anyway haha

Aaron.

Warbonnet

You newbies have gota realise that the railway is a totally different ball game to anything you've ever done before. Its like an institution. I mean absolutely no malice in that comment either!
Here, we do things differently.
Its the right way, the wrong way and the railway! :lol:

ExTankieAaron

so who's going to make the move first in response to that comment. Me or Fred.

Considering that train drivers are just driving a bloody few hundred ton lorry on tracks, a job that's really endangered as computer trains are making appearances, their is no need to have that attitude. believe me this comment is a lot cleaner than what i wanted to post!!!

Aaron.

Bluebri

Come on guys. This is descending into a troll fest and is going of topic so that egos can be flexed. It is not productive or helpful.

Gas18

Application went in last Tuesday, got a email receipt the next day so was pleased with that I'am applying for Thornaby, this is like many my dream job, so good luck everybody !

BigLee

Sent my application in on Wednesday and received confirmation (and the blurb regarding 2015 intake as Aaron mentioned) within an hour. I've applied for Healey Mills despite it being closed a couple of years ago. I drove past on Friday and there really is nothing there other than rusting rails. Even the DB sign by the road has gone. I guess the plan is to reopen to meet the demand inline with freight's growth. Good luck to everyone who has applied.
Lee

ExTankieAaron

Yeah im sorry, hands up, i just need to learn to live as a civie now i cant crack jokes about ze germans or loose my rag.

You know we get taught about this, civvie street how to come accross, you know dont compliment women at work, dont crack jokes etc it dose scare me alot, why do you think i want a job driving a train where i dont have to talk to too many people lol keep my head down, collect my money and pass go... Looks after my family let my boy dream of being a NHL player and sit back and pag for it all. Simple life now. Done my time, did... Things in afghan... Drive my train...

Aaron.

harrysno1dad

Sent my application in on Wednesday and received confirmation (and the blurb regarding 2015 intake as Aaron mentioned) within an hour. I've applied for Healey Mills despite it being closed a couple of years ago. I drove past on Friday and there really is nothing there other than rusting rails. Even the DB sign by the road has gone. I guess the plan is to reopen to meet the demand inline with freight's growth. Good luck to everyone who has applied.
Lee

Hi Lee

did you save as a PDF or word? i've sent mine and had nothing back, that said, as my previous post said, last time i didn't hear anything back for 2 and a bit months.

BigLee

Hi Lee

did you save as a PDF or word? i've sent mine and had nothing back, that said, as my previous post said, last time i didn't hear anything back for 2 and a bit months.

Saved as PDF which is something I tend to do as a rule anyway. So many variants of word, plus lots of folk use tablets these days. I send as PDF so it appears exactly as I sent it, and cannot be edited.
I included name and address details in the body of the email, plus job and location in the subject heading.
Last time I applied for Peak Forest, and like you I didn't hear anything for a couple of months.
I wouldn't worry. When I got my email response I was in a meeting and just saw the subject and first line flash up on my phone "Thankyou for taking the time to apply...." - I thought it was an instant no as I've not quite cleared 6 months (yet) since an assessment, so the meeting went rapidly down hill! Thankfully it was just the acknowledgement.
Lee

roystinho

Anybody else noticing a trend here? PDF seems to get a responce?

Aaron.

I sent mine as pdf but had no response. Sent off last Monday. Just going to see if they get back before the 27th and if not just drop them an e-mail to make sure they have it

Clarky042

Lee

Lee ,

As you say the former Healey Mills Depot is indeed closed (used to me MASSIVE) and now has only one or two active roads going through it , as the Signal box is still there and in use. Its quite a daunting place and desolate at 3am in the fog !

The Depot is now some portacabins at Wakefield Kirkgate just down the way , but is still referred to as Healey Mills.

PS as a friendly advice suggestion to all , try your best to keep the Trolling / slight disagreements to a minimum , it's very easy to be misunderstood or have your comments mis-read by an observer on a forum like this. Everything on here is public and can be read by anyone , not just members. It's not unheard of for Production Managers to look through these forums to research potential candidates.

Good luck to everyone who's applied , it's a great Job :D

Last edited:

BigLee

Lee ,

As you say the former Healey Mills Depot is indeed closed (used to me MASSIVE) and now has only one or two active roads going through it , as the Signal box is still there and in use. Its quite a daunting place and desolate at 3am in the fog !

The Depot is now some portacabins at Wakefield Kirkgate just down the way , but is still referred to as Healey Mills.

Thanks Clarky042, thats good info. I was there on a clear day at 3pm, and its still a daunting and desolate place!

Lee

JCLeeds

A techie question on this: My Word is prehistoric (Word 97!) so as per guidelines I cant use it (though it looks fine when downloaded). How do I save or download as PDF? I dont get option to 'save as' pdf or download as pdf. I have the adobe reader and this will convert pdf to word but not the other way round?

Last edited:

garageflower

just do your application mate on word 97 and convert it to PDF and send that off, you don't need to worry about the other way round?

banku

A techie question on this: My Word is prehistoric (Word 97!) so as per guidelines I cant use it (though it looks fine when downloaded). How do I save or download as PDF? I dont get option to 'save as' pdf or download as pdf. I have the adobe reader and this will convert Word to pdf but not the other way round?

You download it in word , fill in as required , You might want to sign on a plane paper and insert it as a picture on the signature panel. Once its all filled in > Save As PDF.
If you don't get that option in your system , You might want to search for any "Free Word to PDF Converter" Its free and can be converted into the desired format instantly.
Hope that helps.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I sent my application in PDF format on Thursday 12/06/2014 but I have not received any confirmation or acknowledgement yet.

Texas

"" * Electronic signature will be accepted ""

Don't get too hung up on this requirement.

Cheers Tex.

Warbonnet

so who's going to make the move first in response to that comment. Me or Fred.

Considering that train drivers are just driving a bloody few hundred ton lorry on tracks, a job that's really endangered as computer trains are making appearances, their is no need to have that attitude. believe me this comment is a lot cleaner than what i wanted to post!!!

Aaron.
HAHA! Oh boy oh boy!
I was trying to make light of it son!
As I said, I meant no malice, where was the derogatory remark in my post??
It sounds like you've had a very successful sense of humour by pass!
You need to work on your attitude son.
You'l certainly not get very far in the rail industry, especially as a driver with an attitude like that!
Believe me when I say this,
your heading for a very big fall if you truly believe that driving a train is like a ""few hundred ton lorry on tracks""
How do you expect to remain calm when the pressures on, or your in an emergency situation with a few hundred passengers behind you relying on you to keep your cool and do the right thing? Meanwhile ex squaddie here has thrown his dummy outa the pram because some one tried to have a joke!
That's the funniest thing ive heard this year.
You are sadly deluded young man. :lol:
I suggest you maybe try a job test driving mobility scooters! :roll:

Infact, the more I think about your childish little out burst on what was some thing so light hearted and innocent that meant absolutely no harm whatsoever,
The more I really do think you are not train driver material.
And the folk weeding out the short tempered nutters will see through you soon enough.
Have a great day.

Last edited:

Crompton

Are there 2 roles available, a Trainee Driver and a Driver Operator or is it 1 role and you go from Trainee to Qualified Driver Operator to Qualified Mainline Driver?

Sorry if this is daft question but want to put the right info for postion applied for!

Kukua

I sent mine as a pdf n got no reply

But i was going for acton abd hither green

benno79

I got my acknowledgement this morning. I applied for the midlands yesterday, I've applied with dbs several times and it's the first time they have let me know they received the application. In the past I've just had thanks but no thanks after a couple of months.
I sent in a word attachment, as for trainee driver or driver operator it could be either depending on business requirements and the depot you have applied for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.