• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver vacancies DBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin86

Dapc and Craig33.:D Congratulations i am also Starting 28th. my last day in work this Friday and still no location for training :shock:sCARY what depot you both going to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dapc

Hi Colin, thanks! Same to you! Also no word as of yet. I know of someone who got information a couple days before the start date. I've applied for Acton. You?

Atishyou

Thanks Colin. Also haven't heard yet. Where I'm going, what hours, what days etc.

I believe the next classes are at Toton. It'll be a weekday thing, probably 9-5 (or similar depending on length of lunch break etc) to make your 35 hrs a week.

Some people will probably be lodging and some travelling.

colin86

hi guys thanks, i had heard rumours that it was to be Toton but nothing confirmed yet.
i have applied for Carlisle so i guess ill be lodging closer to the training location. I am from a military background so the rail industry is completely new to me. i am really excited to start:D and feel extremely privileged to have made the cut.

so starting on the 28th is:- myself,dapc and craig33 out of curiosity are there any others on hear with the same start date.

Scaramanga

Toton traning is 9.30-4.30 with half days Friday to travel home. Lodgings at the Novotel East Mids on the M1.

colin86

i had the same call today craig33. With details in the post should arrive tomorrow. now to enjoy 2 weeks holiday before the hard work begins:D:D

Marc1986

Does anyone know where training takes place for those applying to work at the Acton depot? I'm getting the impression that all training takes place at Toton? Does anyone also know how long training is classroom based before you begin training at the depot itself? Many thanks in advance.

andy123

Training's been at Toton and Knottingley but think it may have changed now
9 weeks mainly classroom . 150 hours train handling on depot then 2 weeks on simulator
Test is at carr hill doncastor also test is lot different now still got group bourdon and memory test though.
This was this year as my daughter just done it all and is just waiting for final ride out assessment to pass out as driver
Db are good to work for but are recruiting internally mainly for drivers or qualified drivers externally.Best way to get driving is get job as ground staff then keep look out for driving jobs.
Would think if you prove your self as ground staff for 6 months to year you would walk into any driving position going rather than been 1 of 500 externally applying.Also driver training is bit shorter for qualified ground staff and good idea how things are done on railway
Hope this helps

Last edited:

tlionhart

Andy, what test do you exactly have to do with DBschenker?

I know they changed last year but is it;
- Group bourdon (paper test, dots of 4)
- TRP 1 (fault finding/DFFT) & TRP 2 (glop test)
- TEA-OCC

- Test system (square, 2-hand co-ordination, traffic tests)
- Written communication
- SJE/MMI (multi mod interview)

- drivers mangers interview

Am I missing any tests or any of them different?

junior_7178

Would think if you prove your self as ground staff for 6 months to year you would walk into any driving position going rather than been 1 of 500 externally applying.

I just applied for groundstaff with DRS and they told me they had over 100 applications for 1 vacancy, so it's no easier to get a ground staff job than it is to get a driving job, in fact based on the amount of trainee positions available, it may statistically easier to get a driving job.

andy123

Can only let you know whats happening in my area we have taken on loads of ground staff all from outside railways. But nearly all trainee driver were from ground staff and engineering all ready working for db as far as i know its like that at most depots
Only trainee drivers I know from out outside had applied for management jobs and had been through very long interview stages and assessments + drivers assessment
Then very few out of hundreds of applicants got offered driving jobs

Last edited:

junior_7178

Would it be bad form to apply for a Groundstaff job with DBS whilst still having an application in for these Trainee Driver/Operator jobs?

ExTankieAaron

Hello,

Has anybody had any news regarding the latest vacancy's for DBSr that are to start in 2015? I know of one guy who has a email to say he was too old but other than that nothing . The applications were when this thread was started in MAY. Were fast coming to the end of August now and im sure its around now or september they (DBS) call forward people they are interested in for tests etc.

Regards,
Aaron

darren111

I have actually totally forgot about my application with DBS since getting their acknowledgement of my app. Will keep you posted if I hear anything too.

mr double 77

Wondering if anyone can help regarding a question, I was offered the position of trainee train driver for peak Forrest, about 6 weeks ago now, and initially was informed I would be starting 6th October, was then phoned a couple of weeks ago, and was told it would be the 29th sept, I then received a voicemail from DBS and spoke with them today and been told course date is now the 13th October contract will be sent out by nxt week, now my main ? Is when I was originally offered the position all them weeks ago, I was told if you life over a hr from were your depot you would be put up in accommodation for the classroom period of around 3 months, now there not sure if there doing that my training is in Nottingham not sure of what the hotel or area is I'm sure someone on here can shed some light on this, according to google maps peak forest to Nottingham is 1 hour 49 mins, so if this is this case there's no way I can commute every evening to there so it's all added expense finding cheap digs etc, just wondering if anyone out there knows from there experience, I'm wondering if due to the amount going on at DBS there could be a bit of confusion, sorry for the long winded essay, just require any info regarding this thanks again.:|

ultrajapa

mr double 77
You will be accomodated in Novotel Nottingham East Midlands Hotel and training takes palce in Toton Depot which is 1 mile away so a walkig distance. Hope it helps.

dapc

Although a mile away, I wouldn't walk it, specially with the amount of gear given on day 1.

Polar

The Mrs just called to say ive had a letter delivered from dbs this morning asking me to attend on the 8th of September at Doncaster for the assessments.
Not gona be home till late tonight so cant have a proper look till then.

Polar

Unfortunately for me yes! Pretty annoyed that ive got to go through the whole process again but if we want the job we have to do whatever is required.
Just hope I can pass the new ones!

benno79

ah ok thanks for letting me know, just wanted confirmation as I've previously passed the new ones so don't want to be sitting those again :)

banku

ah ok thanks for letting me know, just wanted confirmation as I've previously passed the new ones so don't want to be sitting those again :)

Hi mate
As you stated you have previously passed the new assessments. Would you be able to guide us a bit about your assessments and the assessment day please.
Many thanks

sanknic

Would really appreciate it if those who have already passed the new assessments would let me know if they receive a letter of any kind so I know when I can stop waiting to hear from them. Will let you all know if I hear anything from them at all.

Thank you :D

Danastle1992

Would really appreciate it if those who have already passed the new assessments would let me know if they receive a letter of any kind so I know when I can stop waiting to hear from them. Will let you all know if I hear anything from them at all.

Thank you :D

I passed the new assessments earlier this year with another TOC and I haven't heard yet, but going from experience the people that have passed new assessments get letters quite a bit after people who haven't. Just got to hold out and hope for the best mate :)

cabbage

Here's hoping that I get a selection letter soon! Congratulations to those who have received theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.