• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver vacancies DBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DRFT101

I see that DBS will check if you've failed the tests etc. Will they take into account tests you have already passed, so you only have the DM interview and medical? I have seen that FGW will insist you retake all tests with them, do DBS also require this?

falcon

I struggle to see how an accurate selection for assessment can be made from such little information on the application form.No telephone interview,no situational awareness test!.:roll:

Clarky042

I see that DBS will check if you've failed the tests etc. Will they take into account tests you have already passed, so you only have the DM interview and medical? I have seen that FGW will insist you retake all tests with them, do DBS also require this?

When I applied last year DB took into account previous passes I had with TPE and I only had to sit a couple that I hadn't already completed. That said from what I undertstand the tests have changed since I did them so this may not be the case anymore.

red2005

Apparently DBS do have their own tests aside from the national ones so that is something to be aware of

ExTankieAaron

On behalf of my old man, is 53 too old to be considered for a trainee train driver?

Aaron.

Warbonnet

Made me chuckle at the reference to "must hold at least 5 GCSE's of A-C grade".
I cant even remember how many I got let alone finding a 30 year old slip of paper from school!:lol:

Fred Dinenage

I cant even remember how many I got let alone finding a 30 year old slip of paper from school!:lol:

Really? Remember all of mine and still got the certificates, doubtful they'd be needed but still proof you've done what you say you have. I don't think schools hold records after 20 odd years, could be wrong tho.

Rob d2

An interesting option, but be certain you are going to stay.
If you leave within 2 years, they'll take you to court for a mind blowing £52000 pounds.

falcon

That's one of the reasons along with the lack of information on the application form that I think the HR department is having a bit of a jolly rather than advertising with serious intent.

SPADTrap

Established Member
That's one of the reasons along with the lack of information on the application form that I think the HR department is having a bit of a jolly rather than advertising with serious intent.

Quite the contrary. A reply, even an unsuccessful one confirms they've read your application. More than can be said for the automated online screening system.

Fred Dinenage

Quite the contrary. A reply, even an unsuccessful one confirms they've read your application. More than can be said for the automated online screening system.

Yep. Exactly the same form i filled in for the DB Schenker Trainee roles advertised earlier this year for which i was successfully sifted but then the Tyne yard jobs filled by existing drivers in displaced circumstances. Only 3 pages for DBS, answered by post with an 83 page guide to the assessments to be sat and a time / date / location if you're successful. Refreshingly brief after Northern Rail and FLHH applications...why moan about the brevity? :)

Footplate Man

Ha Ha !! You and me both, although it's been more that 30 years for me, I think I only got 3 CSE's But have been in the grade for 14 years... Best of luck !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also understand that FLHH will be recruiting soon, not sure when, but will keep my eyes peeled for you all, my information is that it will be Nationwide ...

Meanwhile, best of luck to you all,

ExTankieAaron

This application for DB Schenker is very vague just want personal info, how do they sift through that alone?
Well they asked on the advert they are particularly interested in a list but most important to me, ARMED FORCES! haha i tell you what you have to make sure ytou read the webpage careful first about how to save the file, how they want the email to be sent to them.

Im down for Doncaster and Rotherham, but i never knew Rotherham had a train yard i thought that was a museum! Is it steel works, its the only think i can think of.

Aaron.

youngboy

I applied for these last time but withdrew my application before the tests. Don't worry about the five GCSE's, I left school without any due to family circumstances at the time. An e-mail to DBS HR dept quickly explaining the circumstances and my current qualifications/experience and a return e-mail from them saying fill the form in and send it back. I got past the sift but decided freight wasn't for me at this moment in time !! Good luck to all those that apply.
Just to add, DBS HR dept were very helpful and speedy !!

L.M_DannyC

Just a quick question, do you get a return e-mail from DBS to say they have received your application or is it like FLHH where you get nothing back?

Deltic Dan

Yes Its nice having such a simple application form for a change

But you do have to put distance down so that may be a sift option they use along with others of course.they also got a depot in Worksop which I've heard is available if successful but just not on the list.

I received an email last time round saying I'd been invited for tests but nothing to say they'd received my initial application form.

Thought FLHH was good received letter week after closing date so couldn't fault them.

Last edited:

Legzr1

Im down for Doncaster and Rotherham, but i never knew Rotherham had a train yard i thought that was a museum! Is it steel works, its the only think i can think of.

Aaron.

Rotherham depot (also know as Massborough) might look like a defunct old steel works but it's actually quite busy (after the DBS driver cull in 2009/2010).

They handle a lot of steel from Wales to Scunthorpe (then onto Scotland) as well as the raw materials for steel making and steel coil to Hartlepool.
They also have the odd coal and coke train which they work down to Birmingham and up as far as Teesside.
Lots of intermodal trains from Wakefield to Birmingham, stainless steel for the plane engines in Sheffield, seasonal RHTT and weed killer trains, the odd class1 charter and engineering trains to/from and on engineering sites.

It's a busy place...

Deltic Dan

Good find but do you mean MOSBOROUGH or MEXBOROUGH has I've never heard of massborough!

JCLeeds

DBS is a new one for me. Am starting to get very frustrated - have applied for FLHH 3 times now and never heard anything from them - the exact same application that got me within a whisker with Northern (passed application form / manager interview / passed tests but got a borderline pass on one test)
Anyone here had any success with DBS if you have no experience even close to the preferred occupations listed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cant believe how minimal this form is. How on earth can they sift from this?

Legzr1

Good find but do you mean MOSBOROUGH or MEXBOROUGH has I've never heard of massborough!

The depot is located just off Massborough Junction which is why some diagrams are booked to relieve at Massborough when you're actually only 20 yards from Rotherham Depot.

ExTankieAaron

is it the TATA steel place, i so assume DBS double up with them to say its a depot? oh and by the way, will DBS ever repaint the trains to DBS red or is it a deal made to keep EWS when they took over? Because they look scruffy.

Legzr1

oh sound just never heard of massborough so will look it up now and locate

Follow the line down from Swinton towards Sheffield - straight on at Aldwark (Rotherham Station) then left at next junction (Massborough) this line allows freight to divert avoiding Sheffield and rejoins at Chesterfield (via Treeton which was closed last time I was there but there was talk of it re opening).

The actual location of the depot is called (if I remember correctly...been a while) Ikkle sidings and isn't far from Manga.
The depot is shared with another company (could be Tata) but the buildings are for the sole use of DBS drivers, ground staff and middle managers.

They're a good bunch with some real characters! - even the PM is a sound bloke.

Oh, yes, one of their drivers is an Aslef CC rep so very little hassle from 'above' ;)

As to painting loco's - well, not to put too fine a point on it - cost!

Paint is cheap, there are people working there capable of painting a loco to a high standard and the scruffy 66's are in dire need of a full industrial clean but...a loco out of service costs an absolute fortune - sweating your assets as DBS tend to means even less likelihood of the fleet ever being completely refitted.

You'll be seeing EWS plastered up and down the country for some time yet - hell, most of the drivers still wear the branded work clothing !

ExTankieAaron

Lmao okay cool legrz1 a man who knows his stuff eh well just update peeps on here i just had my email to say DB Schenker have got my application and that currently their is 30 aplicants per vacancy! Also it will take many months to go through the applications and get back to me/us.

Aaron.

Status
Not open for further replies.