• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancies - SWR - Fratton, Guildford, Waterloo & Woking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_blood

Thanks everybody. Felt fairly confident. But I think I rushed it a little as I knew it was going to close early. I also live 43 minutes away from Waterloo with the limit being 45 minutes. I dont knowing being that close to the edge worked against me or what.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jlob2804

I applied for Guildford as Waterloo was taken off the website while I was filling the application form, Do you think they'll consider me for Waterloo instead based on where I live, I did say I am willing to relocate. Or should I just call them tomorrow to explain the situation?

SWR do consider people who can convince them they are able to relocate.

andro88

Everybody is saying that the job has been taken down but I applied and completed my online assessment an hour ago!

Everybody is saying that the job has been taken down but I applied and completed my online assessment an hour ago!

The assessments can be completed up to 48 hours after your initial application according to the website. Did you apply before today and not complete the assessment? I have just checked the FG website and the openings are gone.

I have applied myself but have not had any response as of yet.

Thanks for your swift response Dave, my fingers are crossed for your future applications.

Lewis H

Thanks everybody. Felt fairly confident. But I think I rushed it a little as I knew it was going to close early. I also live 43 minutes away from Waterloo with the limit being 45 minutes. I dont knowing being that close to the edge worked against me or what.

Oh well onwards and upwards.
Sorry to hear about the rejection mate, as mentioned before, Trainee Driver roles seem to pop up a lot more often with the recruitment drives currently.

In relation to the distance you live from depot, makes little difference to your chances, I lived an hour away and they just phoned me up after I completed the assessments and asked if I would be willing to relocate!

andro88

The assessments can be completed up to 48 hours after your initial application according to the website. Did you apply before today and not complete the assessment? I have just checked the FG website and the openings are gone.

I have applied myself but have not had any response as of yet.

Thanks for your swift response Dave, my fingers are crossed for your future applications.

Once I applied online the assessment came immediately and I completed it within 20 minutes. Just waiting now...

Railfan132

SWR do consider people who can convince them they are able to relocate.

I am out from this, I guess location played a factor in this. Currently 1 hr and 20 mins from Guildford by road and train. I did mention about relocation but well better luck next time.

"Thank you for your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver Guildford, reference 9650 with FirstGroup. We really appreciate the time you have taken and commitment to completing our online application process.

Unfortunately on this occasion you haven't been successful. That doesn't mean you can't apply for another role within FirstGroup although you'll need to wait six months before applying for the same role again" - That's what I got, Does this affect my other applications for trainee positions with other TOCs?

andro88

I am out from this, I guess location played a factor in this. Currently 1 hr and 20 mins from Guildford by road and train. I did mention about relocation but well better luck next time.

"Thank you for your application for the role of Trainee Train Driver Guildford, reference 9650 with FirstGroup. We really appreciate the time you have taken and commitment to completing our online application process.

Unfortunately on this occasion you haven't been successful. That doesn't mean you can't apply for another role within FirstGroup although you'll need to wait six months before applying for the same role again" - That's what I got, Does this affect my other applications for trainee positions with other TOCs?

That's the same email I just got myself, I'm also wondering the same question because nearly 2 weeks ago I completed my first online assessment with Abelio and still haven't heard anything.

That's the same email I just got myself, I'm also wondering the same question because nearly 2 weeks ago I completed my first online assessment with Abelio and still haven't heard anything.

I have not heard anything from FirstGroup regarding the Waterloo position since 25/3. No emails, calls or information on my account profile on their website. I shall be giving them a call on Monday. I have heard that the whole process can take a very long time.

Stigy

Established Member

No, it doesn’t affect other applications or mean you’re unable to apply for other driver jobs outside FirstGroup (if you have other application in for other TOCs they’re still ‘live’, and you can apply for another driver job tomorrow for another TOC if they’re recruiting). It only becomes a factor if you fail Psychometric testing, in which case you must wait 6-months between tests. It’s the same for the VSE assesments (Visual Search Exercise) online tests that some TOCs use (6-months wait between failed attempts - note SWR don’t do VSE).

Sorry to hear you’ve not been progressed. It’s always a knock, at any stage of the process. Keep on going!

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry to hear your news too. As above, your other application will be fine, it’s only once you start taking assesments that it becomes more tricky.

andro88

Sorry to hear your news too. As above, your other application will be fine, it’s only once you start taking assesments that it becomes more tricky.

Thanks Stigy, I'm new to all this kind of information and the forum. I'm glad it's not just me regularly checking their emails lol

monkeyskillz

Sorry if this has been asked / answered elsewhere but does anyone know if there’s staff parking at Waterloo and I assume it’s within the congestion zone?
I haven’t heard anything since doing the online assessment. Still checking emails and this forum 17 hundred times a day and getting ahead of myself :)

Stigy

Established Member
Sorry if this has been asked / answered elsewhere but does anyone know if there’s staff parking at Waterloo and I assume it’s within the congestion zone?
I haven’t heard anything since doing the online assessment. Still checking emails and this forum 17 hundred times a day and getting ahead of myself :)
I don’t think Waterloo has parking, no. The nearest is probably Clapham Junction.

WA_Driver

There is staff parking. But spaces are very few and far between. I used to drive in find it isn’t worth it. If you can find other ways in

monkeyskillz

There is staff parking. But spaces are very few and far between. I used to drive in find it isn’t worth it. If you can find other ways in
Would that be the same for a motorbike or just cars? Or any motorcycle bays close to the station?
Also, does anyone know the shift times? Not asking for a 5 week shift pattern just earliest start and latest finish? Cheers.

Lewis H

Would that be the same for a motorbike or just cars? Or any motorcycle bays close to the station?
Also, does anyone know the shift times? Not asking for a 5 week shift pattern just earliest start and latest finish? Cheers.
Latest finishes around 2-3am, starts around 4am-ish.

I havent met anyone yet who drives in or uses a motorcycle, i assume there are some, but maybe look at parking a bit further out and using public transport?

Would also recommend looking at one step at a time in regards to recruitment process, if you’ve just applied, theres a long old process ahead of you yet!

Best of luck!

WA_Driver

Same for both. We are currently having problems with motorbike parking as the parking attendents are issuing parking fines to employee vehicles despite having registrations of employees motorbikes and being parked in correct spaces.

There are plenty of options on public transport in and around Waterloo. Plenty of night buses & some tube lines are 24hr on Friday & Saturday

Earliest start is 0342 and latest finish is 0121. We do have a night link.

monkeyskillz

Latest finishes around 2-3am, starts around 4am-ish.

I havent met anyone yet who drives in or uses a motorcycle, i assume there are some, but maybe look at parking a bit further out and using public transport?

Would also recommend looking at one step at a time in regards to recruitment process, if you’ve just applied, theres a long old process ahead of you yet!

Best of luck!

I’ve passed all the OPC assessments and would only need to do the MMI with them plus any additional tests SWR might require and I assume DMI but yeah, I’ve gathered it’s a loooooong process with each TOC. Cheers.

monkeyskillz

Same for both. We are currently having problems with motorbike parking as the parking attendents are issuing parking fines to employee vehicles despite having registrations of employees motorbikes and being parked in correct spaces.

There are plenty of options on public transport in and around Waterloo. Plenty of night buses & some tube lines are 24hr on Friday & Saturday

Earliest start is 0342 and latest finish is 0121. We do have a night link.

That’s annoying as I’m not a fan of the night bus, maybe I’d have to try and find somewhere to chain up my bicycle and hope it doesn’t get nicked :)

WA_Driver

That’s annoying as I’m not a fan of the night bus, maybe I’d have to try and find somewhere to chain up my bicycle and hope it doesn’t get nicked :)

There is personal storage for employees bicycles. But you’d have to ask the cyclists about that when you arrive at depot...

Update: Just had an invite for the assement day on the 16/4/19 regarding the Waterloo position.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to prepare for this day? Apart from reviewing past posts which I have already done and will continue to do.

Thanks.

Elrey

Update: Just had an invite for the assement day on the 16/4/19 regarding the Waterloo position.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to prepare for this day? Apart from reviewing past posts which I have already done and will continue to do.

Thanks.

Nice well done! Just to confirm this was for the recent job post ending 25/3/19? If so , that was pretty quick! How did they contact you - via email?
I’ve just checked my application status on the website and email - nothing yet. Hopefully will hear something soon!
Sorry I can’t help on the prep front Its my first attempt to apply for any TOCs.

Good luck!

Peeler

Good luck Craig. SWR run them in house and do so very professionally. The day has to run to the national rules for the assessment centre but the staff are well trained & I at least got the sense they want you to do well.

You would have been provided with a document which outlines the tests you will do. Read that over and over again to ensure you fully understand. That is the best prep I found useful. If you are travelling from a far check your route to ensure you arrive in good time. Better to get there early than just on time or late stressed.

You will start with colour vision test then move on to the test of everyday attention, the dots test & then the fault finding, memory test & written test. In the afternoon you will do the computer based tests. Each stage is pass or fail and you get your results as you go after each section. Fully listen to the instructions and ask if you are unsure. Where they can within the rules they will help you.

Personally I would avoid wasting your money on any of the assessment practices you can get like from ‘how to become’. From what I have been told from others they will leave you feeling inadequate and actually they are not like the actual tests at all. For legal reasons they cannot be the same, they are just testing similar skills you need.

Best wishes!

Nice well done! Just to confirm this was for the recent job post ending 25/3/19? If so , that was pretty quick! How did they contact you - via email?
I’ve just checked my application status on the website and email - nothing yet. Hopefully will hear something soon!
Sorry I can’t help on the prep front Its my first attempt to apply for any TOCs.

Good luck!
That’s correct, I applied on the 25/3/19, I was expecting it to be quicker but then again I don’t know how many applicants they have, nor do I have any experience of the internal processes at FirstGroup. I am just elated to have made it to the next stage.

I had a email come through this morning, be sure to check your junk mail as mine landed in there, I also got a message on my application profile on the FG website. Hopefully your acceptance email will be with you today. Good luck!

Many thanks for your insight Peeler, I will be sure to go through the information pack with great care. I now have 11 days to prepare myself, for what is hopefully my future career. I had better get started!

Thanks,
Craig.

monkeyskillz

That’s correct, I applied on the 25/3/19, I was expecting it to be quicker but then again I don’t know how many applicants they have, nor do I have any experience of the internal processes at FirstGroup. I am just elated to have made it to the next stage.

I had a email come through this morning, be sure to check your junk mail as mine landed in there, I also got a message on my application profile on the FG website. Hopefully your acceptance email will be with you today. Good luck!

Many thanks for your insight Peeler, I will be sure to go through the information pack with great care. I now have 11 days to prepare myself, for what is hopefully my future career. I had better get started!

Thanks,
Craig.
Did you do just one online assessment (SJE) after your application or two?
Congrats on getting to the next stage!

Status
Not open for further replies.